Rumpole of the Bailey

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Derek Janssen, Dec 27, 2004.

  1. Derek Janssen, Dec 27, 2004

  2. Derek Janssen

    jayembee Guest

    Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    > Otherwise known as He Who Must Be Rented--
    > Once hidden away in Acorn obscurity, now finally salvaged in its
    > complete form this week on A&E (as all good Brit-cult series must be):

    Actually, Acorn had released just the original pilot. The series had
    been released previously by HBO Home Video.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Dec 28, 2004

  3. jayembee wrote:

    > Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    >
    > > Otherwise known as He Who Must Be Rented--
    > > Once hidden away in Acorn obscurity, now finally salvaged in its
    > > complete form this week on A&E (as all good Brit-cult series must be):

    > Actually, Acorn had released just the original pilot. The series had
    > been released previously by HBO Home Video.
    >
    > -- jayembee

    The HBO Home Video DVD set that I have of Rumpole only has the first 2
    seasons and Rumpole's Return movie. I don't think they released the
    other seasons (if they did I never knew about it). A&E is releasing the
    first 4 seasons (there were 7 seasons in all). How I already have the
    first 2 seasons (and Rumpole's Return) I will be ordering seasons 3 & 4,
    and hoping that they will release the seasons 5 thru 7.
    By the pilot I suppose you are referring to "The Lost Episode" as amazon
    calls it. I never saw it, is it worth the 16 bucks they are asking for
    it?

    Gerry

    Gerry
    Gerry Zaninovich, Dec 28, 2004
  4. On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 01:44:20 GMT, Gerry Zaninovich
    <> wrote:

    >jayembee wrote:
    >>
    >> Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    >>

    >The HBO Home Video DVD set that I have of Rumpole only has the first 2
    >seasons and Rumpole's Return movie. I don't think they released the
    >other seasons (if they did I never knew about it). A&E is releasing the
    >first 4 seasons (there were 7 seasons in all). How I already have the
    >first 2 seasons (and Rumpole's Return) I will be ordering seasons 3 & 4,
    >and hoping that they will release the seasons 5 thru 7.
    >By the pilot I suppose you are referring to "The Lost Episode" as amazon
    >calls it. I never saw it, is it worth the 16 bucks they are asking for
    >it?

    You want to get the whole series yet are questioning whether to get
    the one episode that never aired and sets up the whole series??!

    ... Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Dec 28, 2004
  5. Derek Janssen

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message
    > You want to get the whole series yet are questioning whether to get
    > the one episode that never aired and sets up the whole series??!

    If it truly never aired, I've got to wonder if there isn't a good reason
    for that.
    Joshua Zyber, Dec 28, 2004
  6. On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 23:27:40 -0800, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    >Joshua Zyber wrote:
    >> "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>You want to get the whole series yet are questioning whether to get
    >>>the one episode that never aired and sets up the whole series??!

    >> If it truly never aired, I've got to wonder if there isn't a good reason
    >> for that.

    >It did air--
    >Just as one episode of a b/w live-TV anthology series, ten years before
    >anybody really had a handle on the characters or what was going on,
    >outside of the published literary story.
    >
    >...But you knew that, of course.

    The point being it's not part of regular syndication. The Teleplay is
    actually very close to the theme of the rest of the shows with McKern
    if anytihg more "human" and approachable than in the series.. It's
    a kick seeing everyone look so much younger (well, two years younger
    anyway) than the main series. McKern is closer to his "Prisoner"
    character of 8 years previous.
    <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073642/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnxteD0yMHxzZz0xfGxtPTIwMHx0dD1vbnxwbj0wfHE9cnVtcG9sZSBvZiB0aGUgYmFpbGV5fGh0bWw9MXxubT1vbg__;fc=2;ft=2;fm=1#comment>

    >Derek Janssen (who might rent it, but SOLELY out of curiosity)

    ... Steve ..
    Steve(JazzHunter), Dec 28, 2004
  7. jayembee wrote:

    >>Otherwise known as He Who Must Be Rented--
    >>Once hidden away in Acorn obscurity, now finally salvaged in its
    >>complete form this week on A&E (as all good Brit-cult series must be):

    > Actually, Acorn had released just the original pilot. The series had
    > been released previously by HBO Home Video.

    <checks>
    Yep--You're right:
    Point is, A&E didn't dump the series halfway like HBO did. :)

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Dec 28, 2004
  8. Derek Janssen

    Wa6tkq Guest

    If you're a Rumpole fan, you might be interested in a recent book by John
    Mortimer titled "Rumpole and the Penge Bungalow Murders". This is a prequel
    which covers Rumpole's first murder case and why he married Hilda.
    Wa6tkq, Dec 28, 2004

    Derek Janssen, Dec 28, 2004
  10. Derek Janssen

    jayembee Guest

    Gerry Zaninovich <> wrote:

    > The HBO Home Video DVD set that I have of Rumpole only has the first 2
    > seasons and Rumpole's Return movie. I don't think they released the
    > other seasons (if they did I never knew about it).

    You're right. Memory had it that HBO released S1&2 in one set and S3&4
    in another, just as A&E is doing, but in looking back, I see that they
    only released the one set. I never did pick up the HBO set -- too many
    other things got in the way.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Dec 28, 2004
  11. Derek Janssen

    Wild Coyote Guest

    On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 20:58:46 -0800, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    >jayembee wrote:
    >>
    >>>Otherwise known as He Who Must Be Rented--
    >>>Once hidden away in Acorn obscurity, now finally salvaged in its
    >>>complete form this week on A&E (as all good Brit-cult series must be):

    >> Actually, Acorn had released just the original pilot. The series had
    >> been released previously by HBO Home Video.

    ><checks>
    >Yep--You're right:
    >Point is, A&E didn't dump the series halfway like HBO did. :)
    >
    >Derek Janssen

    Sounds like what ADV Films did, releasing Seasons 3, 4 & 5 of Earth:
    Final Conflict, but no Seasons 1 & 2 because they didn't buy the
    rights. Grrr.

    I ordered Rumpole the lost episode and seasons 1-4, based on what a
    good friend said. I know I won't be disappointed.

    --
    Still Howlin' at the Moon!

    Wild Coyote
    wild_coyote<AT>whoppermail.com
    Wild Coyote, Dec 29, 2004
  12. Wild Coyote wrote:

    >>>Actually, Acorn had released just the original pilot. The series had
    >>>been released previously by HBO Home Video.

    >><checks>
    >>Yep--You're right:
    >>Point is, A&E didn't dump the series halfway like HBO did. :)

    > Sounds like what ADV Films did, releasing Seasons 3, 4 & 5 of Earth:
    > Final Conflict, but no Seasons 1 & 2 because they didn't buy the
    > rights. Grrr.

    Actually, came over as part of A&E's acquiring of Thames/Fremantle--
    HBO had Thames before, but only went by sales, and was never as
    legendarily anal about complete series as A&E.

    > I ordered Rumpole the lost episode and seasons 1-4, based on what a
    > good friend said. I know I won't be disappointed.

    I repeat, this is one of the major addictions of Brit-cult TV:
    Imagine Columbo's cases being solved by Charles Laughton from "Witness
    for the Prosecution", with a dose of Britcom tacked on.

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Dec 29, 2004