    There is also a rumour from a Russian site of a Nikon D400 to replace
    the D300s. It suggests the D400 will have "only" 14.2 MP, presumably
    using the same Sony sensor as the D3100. If so, it's disappointing.

    Bruce, Aug 22, 2010

  2. Bruce

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 11:56:39 -0400, Bowser <> wrote:
    : On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 11:17:07 +0100, Bruce <>
    : wrote:
    :
    : >Only a rumour, and it's also in French, which probably adds a certain
    : >'je ne sais quoi'. But for what it's worth, here it is:
    : >http://preview.tinyurl.com/33jqte8
    : >or:
    : >http://www.reportagesphotos.fr/A224...cteristiques-du-rempla-ant-du-nikon-d700.html
    : >So it's basically the 24 MP sensor from the D3X in a D700 body, with
    : >added Full HD video. No surprises.
    : >
    : >The rumour originated from a Chinese e-commerce site www.zol.com.cn.
    : >
    : >There is also a rumour from a Russian site of a Nikon D400 to replace
    : >the D300s. It suggests the D400 will have "only" 14.2 MP, presumably
    : >using the same Sony sensor as the D3100. If so, it's disappointing.
    : >
    : >
    :
    : But is it a Sony sensor? Thom Hogan seems to think not:
    :
    : "Update: I've now heard even more details about the D3100 sensor and
    : from a few sources closer to Nikon Japan. It does indeed appear that
    : Nikon has moved to producing their own sensors. They may be licensing
    : or cooperating on some of the underlying technologies, but it appears
    : that Nikon has decided that Nikon DSLRs will in the future have
    : Nikon-controlled and Nikon-exclusive sensors. That they haven't chosen
    : to make a bigger deal of this is strange. And some parts of Nikon
    : appear not to have gotten the memo on this, as I've seen quotes from
    : Nikon personnel in some subsidiaries that say "Sony sensor."

    The simplest of the possible explanations for Nikon's "strange" behavior is
    that the story isn't true.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Aug 22, 2010

  3. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 11:56:39 -0400, Bowser <> wrote:
    >: On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 11:17:07 +0100, Bruce <>
    >: wrote:
    >:
    >: >Only a rumour, and it's also in French, which probably adds a certain
    >: >'je ne sais quoi'. But for what it's worth, here it is:
    >: >http://preview.tinyurl.com/33jqte8
    >: >or:
    >: >http://www.reportagesphotos.fr/A224...cteristiques-du-rempla-ant-du-nikon-d700.html
    >: >So it's basically the 24 MP sensor from the D3X in a D700 body, with
    >: >added Full HD video. No surprises.
    >: >
    >: >The rumour originated from a Chinese e-commerce site www.zol.com.cn.
    >: >
    >: >There is also a rumour from a Russian site of a Nikon D400 to replace
    >: >the D300s. It suggests the D400 will have "only" 14.2 MP, presumably
    >: >using the same Sony sensor as the D3100. If so, it's disappointing.
    >: >
    >: >
    >:
    >: But is it a Sony sensor? Thom Hogan seems to think not:
    >:
    >: "Update: I've now heard even more details about the D3100 sensor and
    >: from a few sources closer to Nikon Japan. It does indeed appear that
    >: Nikon has moved to producing their own sensors. They may be licensing
    >: or cooperating on some of the underlying technologies, but it appears
    >: that Nikon has decided that Nikon DSLRs will in the future have
    >: Nikon-controlled and Nikon-exclusive sensors. That they haven't chosen
    >: to make a bigger deal of this is strange. And some parts of Nikon
    >: appear not to have gotten the memo on this, as I've seen quotes from
    >: Nikon personnel in some subsidiaries that say "Sony sensor."
    >
    >The simplest of the possible explanations for Nikon's "strange" behavior is
    >that the story isn't true.

    Over the last couple of years, Nikon seems to have adopted a policy of
    not saying anything about changes in the product line to anyone who
    will use the Internet to broadcast it.

    Thom Hogan used to have access to a lot of advance information from
    Nikon. But now, he is reduced to guessing, just like the rest of us.

    ;-)

    Bruce, Aug 22, 2010
  4. Bruce

    Bowser Guest

    "Bruce" <> wrote in message
    > Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 11:56:39 -0400, Bowser <> wrote:
    >>: On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 11:17:07 +0100, Bruce <>
    >>: wrote:
    >>:
    >>: >Only a rumour, and it's also in French, which probably adds a certain
    >>: >'je ne sais quoi'. But for what it's worth, here it is:
    >>: >http://preview.tinyurl.com/33jqte8
    >>: >or:
    >>:
    >> >http://www.reportagesphotos.fr/A224...cteristiques-du-rempla-ant-du-nikon-d700.html

    >>: >So it's basically the 24 MP sensor from the D3X in a D700 body, with
    >>: >added Full HD video. No surprises.
    >>: >
    >>: >The rumour originated from a Chinese e-commerce site www.zol.com.cn.
    >>: >
    >>: >There is also a rumour from a Russian site of a Nikon D400 to replace
    >>: >the D300s. It suggests the D400 will have "only" 14.2 MP, presumably
    >>: >using the same Sony sensor as the D3100. If so, it's disappointing.
    >>: >
    >>: >
    >>:
    >>: But is it a Sony sensor? Thom Hogan seems to think not:
    >>:
    >>: "Update: I've now heard even more details about the D3100 sensor and
    >>: from a few sources closer to Nikon Japan. It does indeed appear that
    >>: Nikon has moved to producing their own sensors. They may be licensing
    >>: or cooperating on some of the underlying technologies, but it appears
    >>: that Nikon has decided that Nikon DSLRs will in the future have
    >>: Nikon-controlled and Nikon-exclusive sensors. That they haven't chosen
    >>: to make a bigger deal of this is strange. And some parts of Nikon
    >>: appear not to have gotten the memo on this, as I've seen quotes from
    >>: Nikon personnel in some subsidiaries that say "Sony sensor."
    >>
    >>The simplest of the possible explanations for Nikon's "strange" behavior
    >>is
    >>that the story isn't true.

    > Over the last couple of years, Nikon seems to have adopted a policy of
    > not saying anything about changes in the product line to anyone who
    > will use the Internet to broadcast it.
    >
    > Thom Hogan used to have access to a lot of advance information from
    > Nikon. But now, he is reduced to guessing, just like the rest of us.

    Part of his speculation is based on the different physical sizes of the Sony
    and Nikon sensors. The new Nikons are now a 1.55X crop, meaning they use a
    physically smaller sensor than the Sony (based on "internet" information on
    DP Review)

    Bowser, Aug 23, 2010
  5. Bruce

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : >: wrote:
    : >:
    : >: >Only a rumour, and it's also in French, which probably adds a certain
    : >: >'je ne sais quoi'. But for what it's worth, here it is:
    : >: >http://preview.tinyurl.com/33jqte8
    : >: >or:
    : >: >http://www.reportagesphotos.fr/A224...cteristiques-du-rempla-ant-du-nikon-d700.html
    : >: >So it's basically the 24 MP sensor from the D3X in a D700 body, with
    : >: >added Full HD video. No surprises.
    : >: >
    : >:
    : >: "Update: I've now heard even more details about the D3100 sensor and
    : >: from a few sources closer to Nikon Japan. It does indeed appear that
    : >: Nikon has moved to producing their own sensors. They may be licensing
    : >: or cooperating on some of the underlying technologies, but it appears
    : >: that Nikon has decided that Nikon DSLRs will in the future have
    : >: Nikon-controlled and Nikon-exclusive sensors. That they haven't chosen
    : >: to make a bigger deal of this is strange. And some parts of Nikon
    : >: appear not to have gotten the memo on this, as I've seen quotes from
    : >: Nikon personnel in some subsidiaries that say "Sony sensor."
    : >
    : >The simplest of the possible explanations for Nikon's "strange" behavior is
    : >that the story isn't true.
    :
    : Would Nikon shrik Sony's sensor? The sensor in the D3100 is physically
    : smaller than the Sony NEX sensor.
    :
    : I have a theory as to why Nikon isn't making a big deal out of this.
    : If they start saying "now with Nikon sensors!" then they've
    : automatically cheapened all their existing cams that actually use Sony
    : sensors. They've never explicitly said "we use Sony" but we all knew
    : it. I don't think they want to be viewed as a camera company whose
    : image quality is reliant on Sony sensors.

    But equally to the point, why would Nikon go with a *smaller* sensor size, no
    matter who made it? I'd call that swimming against the tide. Haven't they
    noticed the success of the 5D2, or for that matter the D700?

    As I've said once or twice, I no longer accept that FF is the wave of the
    future, but neither is a downsized sensor on a serious camera. Unless maybe
    Nikon's new mirrorless camera will have a smaller sensor (for faster scanning)
    and they want to put that shock behind them sooner rather than later.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Aug 24, 2010
  6. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Bowser <> wrote:

    >They've never explicitly said "we use Sony" but we all knew it.

    Then why did you deny it a few days ago?

    Bruce, Aug 24, 2010
  7. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >But equally to the point, why would Nikon go with a *smaller* sensor size, no
    >matter who made it? I'd call that swimming against the tide. Haven't they
    >noticed the success of the 5D2, or for that matter the D700?

    perhaps Nikon has noted the success of Canon's APS-C range which use
    even smaller sensors than Nikon's new one - a 'crop factor' of 1.6X.

    If the suggestion of a smaller sensor size is true, it is likely to
    have been chosen to fit the fabrication equipment of Nikon's new
    supplier.

    The practical differences between 1.5X, 1.55X and 1.6X sensor sizes
    are so minimal that they are of no practical significance whatsoever.
    The only interest in Nikon's alleged change from 1.5X to 1.55X is the
    indication of a possible change of sensor supplier after some years
    exclusively using Sony-made sensors, albeit with the high end sensors
    being made by Sony to Nikon designs that Sony cannot use.

    >As I've said once or twice, I no longer accept that FF is the wave of the
    >future, but neither is a downsized sensor on a serious camera. Unless maybe
    >Nikon's new mirrorless camera will have a smaller sensor (for faster scanning)
    >and they want to put that shock behind them sooner rather than later.

    The pro photographers who are out there testing Nikon's next round of
    new equipment have signed non-disclosure agreements that are so
    restrictive they make breathing difficult. Nikon bosses were getting
    exasperated with all the leaks and rumours and decided to put a stop
    to them, once and for all. As a result, what is under development
    cannot even be hinted at.

    When even Thom Hogan has to guess like the rest of us, you know
    Nikon's new policy is beginning to bite. ;-)

    For that reason, I will be visiting Photokina this year ... with money
    in my pocket, I am looking for at least two new camera bodies.

    Bruce, Aug 24, 2010
  8. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Bowser <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 08:58:41 +0100, Bruce <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Bowser <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>They've never explicitly said "we use Sony" but we all knew it.

    >>Then why did you deny it a few days ago?

    >I only denied that their latest cam, the D3100 uses a Sony sensor.
    >But, the fact is, Nikon has never named their supplier so we're all
    >speculating. My comment above should have included quotes around "we
    >all knew it" to indicate a hint of sarcasm.
    >
    >Can we speculate on Canon's supplier now?

    OK, let me guess. Canon?

    But the big question is, who makes the steppers used to manufacture
    Canon's sensors? ;-)

    Bruce, Aug 24, 2010
  9. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Bowser <> wrote:

    >Probably has a Canon sensor, no?

    When I said ...

    >>OK, let me guess. Canon?

    I was kind of dropping a hint. Looks like it passed you by, even
    though you quoted it in your reply.

    Bruce, Aug 24, 2010
  10. Bruce

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 14:43:52 +0100, Bruce <> wrote:
    : Bowser <> wrote:
    :
    : >On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 08:58:41 +0100, Bruce <>
    : >wrote:
    : >
    : >>Bowser <> wrote:
    : >>>
    : >>>They've never explicitly said "we use Sony" but we all knew it.
    : >>
    : >>
    : >>Then why did you deny it a few days ago?
    : >
    : >I only denied that their latest cam, the D3100 uses a Sony sensor.
    : >But, the fact is, Nikon has never named their supplier so we're all
    : >speculating. My comment above should have included quotes around "we
    : >all knew it" to indicate a hint of sarcasm.
    : >
    : >Can we speculate on Canon's supplier now?
    :
    :
    : OK, let me guess. Canon?

    Jeez, maybe they're Nikon's new supplier! ;^)

    : But the big question is, who makes the steppers used to manufacture
    : Canon's sensors? ;-)

    I dunno. Intel?

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Aug 24, 2010
  11. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 14:43:52 +0100, Bruce <> wrote:
    >: Bowser <> wrote:
    >: >
    >: >Can we speculate on Canon's supplier now?
    >:
    >: OK, let me guess. Canon?
    >
    >Jeez, maybe they're Nikon's new supplier! ;^)

    Stranger things have happened ...

    Bruce, Aug 25, 2010
  12. In rec.photo.digital Bowser <> wrote:
    > "Bruce" <> wrote in message
    >> Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 11:56:39 -0400, Bowser <> wrote:
    >>>: On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 11:17:07 +0100, Bruce <>
    >>>: wrote:
    >>>:
    >>>: >Only a rumour, and it's also in French, which probably adds a certain
    >>>: >'je ne sais quoi'. But for what it's worth, here it is:
    >>>: >http://preview.tinyurl.com/33jqte8
    >>>: >or:
    >>>:
    >>>: >So it's basically the 24 MP sensor from the D3X in a D700 body, with
    >>>: >added Full HD video. No surprises.
    >>>: >
    >>>: >The rumour originated from a Chinese e-commerce site www.zol.com.cn.
    >>>: >
    >>>: >There is also a rumour from a Russian site of a Nikon D400 to replace
    >>>: >the D300s. It suggests the D400 will have "only" 14.2 MP, presumably
    >>>: >using the same Sony sensor as the D3100. If so, it's disappointing.
    >>>: >
    >>>: >
    >>>:
    >>>: But is it a Sony sensor? Thom Hogan seems to think not:
    >>>:
    >>>: "Update: I've now heard even more details about the D3100 sensor and
    >>>: from a few sources closer to Nikon Japan. It does indeed appear that
    >>>: Nikon has moved to producing their own sensors. They may be licensing
    >>>: or cooperating on some of the underlying technologies, but it appears
    >>>: that Nikon has decided that Nikon DSLRs will in the future have
    >>>: Nikon-controlled and Nikon-exclusive sensors. That they haven't chosen
    >>>: to make a bigger deal of this is strange. And some parts of Nikon
    >>>: appear not to have gotten the memo on this, as I've seen quotes from
    >>>: Nikon personnel in some subsidiaries that say "Sony sensor."
    >>>
    >>>The simplest of the possible explanations for Nikon's "strange" behavior
    >>>is
    >>>that the story isn't true.

    >> Over the last couple of years, Nikon seems to have adopted a policy of
    >> not saying anything about changes in the product line to anyone who
    >> will use the Internet to broadcast it.
    >>
    >> Thom Hogan used to have access to a lot of advance information from
    >> Nikon. But now, he is reduced to guessing, just like the rest of us.
    >>

    > Part of his speculation is based on the different physical sizes of the Sony
    > and Nikon sensors. The new Nikons are now a 1.55X crop, meaning they use a
    > physically smaller sensor than the Sony (based on "internet" information on
    > DP Review)

    Not necessarily. They could simply have a different policy about how
    close to the sensor edge to run the image. Since Nikon use in-lens
    image stabilisation and Sony in-body it wouldn't be too surprising if
    their different technologies required different edge policies.

    --
    Chris Malcolm

    Chris Malcolm, Aug 28, 2010