rumor: Nintendo Revolution to use proprietary 12 gig DVD

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Air Raid, Dec 2, 2005.

  1. Air Raid

    Air Raid Guest

    Air Raid, Dec 2, 2005

  2. Air Raid

    kaydigi Guest

    "Air Raid" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > ___________________
    > "The Revolution will initially use a proprietary disc standard
    > developed between Nintendo and Panasonic. It uses 12 gig capacity
    > discs. However, with a hardware attachment planned, it is quite
    > possible more DVD standards will be supported in the future."
    > _____________________

    Always one console behind.

    kaydigi, Dec 2, 2005

  3. Air Raid

    WinField Guest

    Another take on all consoles - ahead and behind:
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27976

    winf

    WinField, Dec 2, 2005
  4. Air Raid

    docdude316 Guest

    kaydigi wrote:
    > "Air Raid" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>___________________
    >>"The Revolution will initially use a proprietary disc standard
    >>developed between Nintendo and Panasonic. It uses 12 gig capacity
    >>discs. However, with a hardware attachment planned, it is quite
    >>possible more DVD standards will be supported in the future."
    >>_____________________

    > Always one console behind.

    Nintendo's Revolution will be capable of playing DVD's right off the
    bat, but to avoid some of the licensing fees they are employing a scheme
    like Microsoft did with the Xbox. The user will have to buy some small
    attachment to enable the DVD playback.

    docdude316, Dec 3, 2005
  5. Air Raid

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "docdude316" <> wrote in message
    >> Always one console behind.

    > Nintendo's Revolution will be capable of playing DVD's right off the
    > bat, but to avoid some of the licensing fees they are employing a
    > scheme like Microsoft did with the Xbox. The user will have to buy
    > some small attachment to enable the DVD playback.

    The Revolution is the only of the three next-gen consoles that will not
    offer any sort of high definition playback, either for games or video.
    Considering that they also removed the component video output capability
    from late models of the Gamecube, Nintendo has simply given up
    attempting to market towards adult consumers and is only interested in
    producing a low-rent product for the kiddies.

    Joshua Zyber, Dec 3, 2005
  6. Air Raid

    Guest

    The problem with the component output on the Gamecube was that they
    only sold the component cables online through their website as well. So
    when it came time to justify the removal of the component output their
    argument was "well, nobody bought the cables"...

    DUH! I'd wager the vast majority of Cube owners never even knew
    component cables were available because they never saw them in a store.

    - Jordan

    , Dec 5, 2005
  7. Air Raid

    David Eckard Guest

    On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 02:20:53 UTC, wrote:

    > DUH! I'd wager the vast majority of Cube owners never even knew
    > component cables were available because they never saw them in a store.

    You might have to define store for them... the online term is brick
    and morter

    --
    David Eckard
    Rot13 this address

    David Eckard, Dec 5, 2005
  8. Air Raid

    Guest

    What percentage of owners of the new consoles will even have the
    equipment to display HD content? I am willing to bet it will be less
    than 10%. By the time HD televisions become common place, we probably
    will be two more consoles ahead.

    , Dec 5, 2005

  9. > What percentage of owners of the new consoles will even have the
    > equipment to display HD content?

    Plugged my Gamecube into component video in #2
    the day I bought it when they first dropped the
    price to $149 and Resident Evil the remake came
    out (I got the cables at GameStop).

    Likewise when my friend brough his Xbox over he
    brought component cables so we could play his
    games in hi def as well.

    Would never consider a console without some kind
    of hi def output and some suitable games available.

    drc :)

    Darrel Christenson, Dec 5, 2005