Rubinar 500/5.6 - lubrication and other stuff.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rudy Benner, Dec 1, 2006.

  1. Rudy Benner

    Rudy Benner Guest

    I recently came into possession of a Rubinar 500mm/5.6 reflex lens. Real
    cheap, like new. Came with M42/Nikon adapter.

    I need an extension tube and/or a teleconverter to enable me to connect this
    to my Nikon. No problem there, I have the right stuff on order.

    Once I have the extension tube, I will need to recalibrate the focus, no
    problem there, its a 2 minute job.

    While I have the lens partly disassembled , I am thinking I should go a bit
    further and change the lubricant for the focus, its really stiff.
    I need a suggestion for a commonly available lubricant, one which will work
    well in sub zero temperatures.

    I also find the insert for the tripod mount to be a bit loose, I am thinking
    I can use some epoxy to secure it. Otherwise I do not think I would like to
    trust my camera to the mount. A sky hook would be nice but I cannot afford
    one.

    The price was right, but I wonder if it was much of a bargain. Time will
    tell.

    Any thoughts?

    r.

    Rudy Benner, Dec 1, 2006

  2. Rudy Benner

    Mulperi Guest

    Mulperi, Dec 1, 2006

  3. Rudy Benner

    Guest

    "Rudy Benner" <> writes:

    > While I have the lens partly disassembled , I am thinking I should
    > go a bit further and change the lubricant for the focus, its really
    > stiff. I need a suggestion for a commonly available lubricant, one
    > which will work well in sub zero temperatures.

    There isn't one. Go find a microscope place, and ask them for some
    grease to use. Be nice and they will possibly give you the small smear
    you need for free.

    Do NOT even THINK of using normal grease or oil, it will coat the optics
    and inner surfaces and trash the lens.

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

    , Dec 2, 2006
  4. Rudy Benner

    Rudy Benner Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "Rudy Benner" <> writes:
    >
    >> While I have the lens partly disassembled , I am thinking I should
    >> go a bit further and change the lubricant for the focus, its really
    >> stiff. I need a suggestion for a commonly available lubricant, one
    >> which will work well in sub zero temperatures.

    > There isn't one. Go find a microscope place, and ask them for some
    > grease to use. Be nice and they will possibly give you the small smear
    > you need for free.
    >
    > Do NOT even THINK of using normal grease or oil, it will coat the optics
    > and inner surfaces and trash the lens.
    >
    > --

    Yes, good point.

    I have removed a substantial amount of grease from the accessible threads
    without fully removing the front half of the lens. Already its much better.

    <....Lets see now, I live in a small town in northern Ontario, where will I
    find a microscope place......>

    Rudy Benner, Dec 2, 2006
  5. Rudy Benner

    Rudy Benner Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "Rudy Benner" <> writes:
    >
    >> While I have the lens partly disassembled , I am thinking I should
    >> go a bit further and change the lubricant for the focus, its really
    >> stiff. I need a suggestion for a commonly available lubricant, one
    >> which will work well in sub zero temperatures.

    > There isn't one. Go find a microscope place, and ask them for some
    > grease to use. Be nice and they will possibly give you the small smear
    > you need for free.
    >
    > Do NOT even THINK of using normal grease or oil, it will coat the optics
    > and inner surfaces and trash the lens.
    >
    > --
    > Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    > +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.
    > West Australia 6076
    > comp.os.vms,- The Older, Grumpier Slashdot
    > Raw, Cooked or Well-done, it's all half baked.
    > EPIC, The Architecture of the future, always has been, always will be.

    http://www.micro-tools.com/store/SearchByCategory.aspx?CategoryCode=LUB

    Some research seems to indicate that NYOIL or HELICAL GREASE are what I
    need. Any thoughts on that Paul?

    Rudy Benner, Dec 2, 2006
  6. Rudy Benner

    Bhogi Guest

    wrote:
    > "Rudy Benner" <> writes:
    >
    > > While I have the lens partly disassembled , I am thinking I should
    > > go a bit further and change the lubricant for the focus, its really
    > > stiff. I need a suggestion for a commonly available lubricant, one
    > > which will work well in sub zero temperatures.

    > There isn't one. Go find a microscope place, and ask them for some
    > grease to use. Be nice and they will possibly give you the small smear
    > you need for free.
    >
    > Do NOT even THINK of using normal grease or oil, it will coat the optics
    > and inner surfaces and trash the lens.

    Not saying you're wrong, but I lubricated both my rubinars with normal
    lythium grease. I think that was 2 years ago. Still works fine, see:
    http://zenit-photo.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=170
    That's a 100% crop.
    FWIW image quality of my 500/5.6 is not as good as 1000/10.

    Bhogi, Dec 2, 2006
  7. Rudy Benner

    Guest

    "Rudy Benner" <> writes:

    > <> wrote in message
    >> "Rudy Benner" <> writes:
    >>
    >>> While I have the lens partly disassembled , I am thinking I should
    >>> go a bit further and change the lubricant for the focus, its really
    >>> stiff. I need a suggestion for a commonly available lubricant, one
    >>> which will work well in sub zero temperatures.

    >> There isn't one. Go find a microscope place, and ask them for some
    >> grease to use. Be nice and they will possibly give you the small smear
    >> you need for free.
    >>
    >> Do NOT even THINK of using normal grease or oil, it will coat the optics
    >> and inner surfaces and trash the lens.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    >> +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.
    >> West Australia 6076
    >> comp.os.vms,- The Older, Grumpier Slashdot
    >> Raw, Cooked or Well-done, it's all half baked.
    >> EPIC, The Architecture of the future, always has been, always will be.

    > http://www.micro-tools.com/store/SearchByCategory.aspx?CategoryCode=LUB
    >
    > Some research seems to indicate that NYOIL or HELICAL GREASE are what I
    > need. Any thoughts on that Paul?

    Maybe, I don't know the specific stuff you quote. Ring or visit your
    local uni and ask one of the lab techs what they use, and where to get it.

    The above seem OK though.

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.