RTP: Who will deny odd RTP (UDP) port numbers?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by CCGolfer, Jun 8, 2004.

  1. CCGolfer

    CCGolfer Guest

    It says in the RTP spec (RFC 1889) that only even port numbers should
    be used for RTP, and then the following odd port number would be used
    for RTCP.

    My company's equipment will allow any port number for either (as well
    as any for T.38). We default to RTP+1 for RTCP (if no RTCP port id
    defined during call setup), but we have no default for T.38. RTP &
    T.38 would be negotiated via SIP or H.323.

    Do any of you know if other equipment would fail a call if we tried to
    force it to use an odd RTP port number? In all Cisco interop testing
    I've seen, there has been no problem using any port number for
    RTP/RTCP/T.38. I thought that I had seen Cisco using odd RTP ports in
    H.323 negotiation, but I may be wrong.

    Thanks,

    Greg in MA

    CCGolfer, Jun 8, 2004