RT31P2 - How to get a static IP address on LAN

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by cjtwantstoknow@yahoo.com, Aug 25, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I have the following configuration:

    Cable Linksys DLink Wireless
    Modem ------ RT31P2 -------- DI-604 -------- Router ------- PCs
    NAT & DHCP Router | no NAT
    | no DHCP

    |---- Desktop PC

    I'd like to configure the Desktop PC as an FTP server and I have setup
    port-forwarding on the RT31P2 and the DI-604 routers. It works except
    that the DI-604 sometimes gets another IP address from the RT31P2 and
    causes the port-forwarding to no longer work because the IP address
    of the downstream router has changed.

    The RT31P2 sits in front of the DI-604 because the RT31P2 is for voip
    service and it gives voice traffic priority over other traffic (QoS).

    The DI-604 has a static DHCP function that allows me to tie the Desktop
    PC
    to a specific address on the DI-604. The static DHCP keeps the Desktop
    IP
    address constant.

    Is there a way to keep accomplish this?

    It would be great if the RT31P2 had static DHCP - perhaps there's
    another way
    to accomplish the same function.

    Can I configure the DI-604 to have a static address and turn off
    DHCP/NAT on the
    RT31P2? A static WAN address on the DI-604 requires I define also DNS
    server addresses
    and I'd like to keep getting those automatically.

    Any other suggestions?

    Chris
    cjtwantstoknow
    , Aug 25, 2005

  2. David Taylor Guest

    > It would be great if the RT31P2 had static DHCP - perhaps there's
    > another way
    > to accomplish the same function.

    There's no such thing as static DHCP, you can create a reservation but
    then there's no point using DHCP in that case for one machine.

    Why not just leave the Dlink out completely, it serves no purpose and
    just configure a DHCP scope for the required number of PC's and then
    give the desktop a static IP address that does not exist in the DHCP
    scope?

    David.
    David Taylor, Aug 25, 2005

  3. yeah replace the 604 with a switch

    Jorge Padrone, Aug 25, 2005
  4. On 25 Aug 2005 07:01:12 -0700, wrote:

    >I have the following configuration:
    >
    >Cable Linksys DLink Wireless
    >Modem ------ RT31P2 -------- DI-604 -------- Router ------- PCs
    > NAT & DHCP Router | no NAT
    > | no DHCP
    > |
    > |---- Desktop PC

    This is the first time I've ever seen anyone try to use *THREE*
    routers in series. Is there some reason you think you need the extra
    two routers? The RT31P2 is an ethernet router with all the features
    that the other two routers duplicate (except wireless).

    Start by removing the DI-604. It does nothing useful.

    Then, reconfigure the Wireless Router (no model number specified) into
    an access point. Do not connect anything to the WAN port. Setup the
    IP address to be in the same /24 group as the RT31P2 but on a
    non-duplicated IP address. Disable the DHCP server. Now, it's just
    an access point.

    Plug the PC's and Desktop PC into the RT31P2 LAN ports.

    >I'd like to configure the Desktop PC as an FTP server and I have setup
    >port-forwarding on the RT31P2 and the DI-604 routers. It works except
    >that the DI-604 sometimes gets another IP address from the RT31P2 and
    >causes the port-forwarding to no longer work because the IP address
    >of the downstream router has changed.

    Well, if you insist on using the DI-604, dive into the RT31P2 and see
    if it has a feature called "static DHCP". If so, configure it to give
    the MAC address of the DI-604 router always the same IP address. I
    couldn't find anything in the manual at:
    ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/rt31p2_ug.pdf
    that would indicate that it has this feature. The only alternative is
    to assign a static IP address on your desktop PC that's acting as an
    FTP server, and port forward the RT31P2 to point to this static IP
    address. Please pick an IP address that is NOT inside the DHCP
    assigned IP address range of the RT31P2.

    >The RT31P2 sits in front of the DI-604 because the RT31P2 is for voip
    >service and it gives voice traffic priority over other traffic (QoS).

    Yes, the RT31P2 *MAY* be installed in front of an existing router.
    However, there's no reason why it must be installed in front of this
    router. The recommended setup in the manual does not show the extra
    router. The RT31P2 duplicates all the functions of the DI-604 with
    the added complexity of dealing with two routers. There's no need to
    do that. Just use the RT31P2 and sell the DI-604.

    --
    Jeff Liebermann -cruz.ca.us
    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
    Jeff Liebermann, Aug 25, 2005
  5. Guest

    Jeff,

    Thanks for your advice!

    I use the DI-604 because it gives me the ability to assign an IP
    address to a MAC address in the static dhcp setup. Since I share the
    wireless network with others, it allows me to assign specific IP
    addresses that in turn can be specified in the firewalls on my PCs.
    This keeps my neighbors out of my PCs and me out of theirs.
    I like to keep the desktop and the wireless clients on the same
    network/router because then I don't have to deal with port-forwarding
    to support Microsoft file sharing.

    The RT31P2 doesn't support static dhcp so that's why I don't use it
    instead of the DI-604. As far as the wireless device goes, it's there
    because it is physically situated away from everything else and using
    its LAN ports is not possible. The desktop needs to be wired because
    certain applications require a network card and don't work with
    wireless cards.

    I'll probably end up plugging the desktop (the FTP server) into the
    RT31P2 and assign it a fixed IP address.

    BTW - The wireless device is a Parkervision WR1500.

    Chris

    cjtwantstoknow
    , Aug 25, 2005
  6. David Taylor Guest

    > I use the DI-604 because it gives me the ability to assign an IP
    > address to a MAC address in the static dhcp setup. Since I share the
    > wireless network with others, it allows me to assign specific IP

    Like several have said, there's no need to use DHCP and then defeat it
    by reserving an address to a machine like you are doing. Just assign a
    static IP address to the box but use one outside of the DHCP range.

    > I like to keep the desktop and the wireless clients on the same
    > network/router because then I don't have to deal with port-forwarding
    > to support Microsoft file sharing.

    That would still be the case.

    > The RT31P2 doesn't support static dhcp so that's why I don't use it
    > instead of the DI-604. As far as the wireless device goes, it's there

    So configure a static IP address, job done.

    > its LAN ports is not possible. The desktop needs to be wired because
    > certain applications require a network card and don't work with
    > wireless cards.

    Jeff said use a switch, that'll work just fine.

    > I'll probably end up plugging the desktop (the FTP server) into the
    > RT31P2 and assign it a fixed IP address.

    Best solution.
    David Taylor, Aug 25, 2005
  7. On 25 Aug 2005 10:36:41 -0700, wrote:

    >I use the DI-604 because it gives me the ability to assign an IP
    >address to a MAC address in the static dhcp setup. Since I share the
    >wireless network with others, it allows me to assign specific IP
    >addresses that in turn can be specified in the firewalls on my PCs.

    Well, I guess that's one way of doing it.

    >This keeps my neighbors out of my PCs and me out of theirs.
    >I like to keep the desktop and the wireless clients on the same
    >network/router because then I don't have to deal with port-forwarding
    >to support Microsoft file sharing.
    >
    >The RT31P2 doesn't support static dhcp so that's why I don't use it
    >instead of the DI-604. As far as the wireless device goes, it's there
    >because it is physically situated away from everything else and using
    >its LAN ports is not possible. The desktop needs to be wired because
    >certain applications require a network card and don't work with
    >wireless cards.
    >
    >I'll probably end up plugging the desktop (the FTP server) into the
    >RT31P2 and assign it a fixed IP address.

    Well, that will work, but if you want to preserve your existing setup
    and make it easy to get to your desktop PC from other machines, all
    you need to do is assign a static IP address to the DI-604 *WAN* port.
    I think the RT31P2 is 192.168.15.1. Use something like:
    IP 192.168.15.15
    GW 192.168.15.1
    NM 255.255.255.0
    DNS 192.168.15.1
    Then, port forward 20 and 21 (ftp) on the RT31P2 to 192.168.15.15 and
    again in the DLink DI-604 to the IP address of the ftp server.

    >BTW - The wireless device is a Parkervision WR1500.

    Thanks.

    Jeff Liebermann, Aug 25, 2005
  8. Miguel Cruz Guest

    David Taylor <> wrote:
    >> It would be great if the RT31P2 had static DHCP - perhaps there's
    >> another way
    >> to accomplish the same function.

    > There's no such thing as static DHCP, you can create a reservation but
    > then there's no point using DHCP in that case for one machine.

    You can absolutely use DHCP to manage static addresses.

    > Why not just leave the Dlink out completely, it serves no purpose

    Yeah, that was my question too.

    miguel
    Miguel Cruz, Aug 25, 2005
  9. Miguel Cruz Guest

    <> wrote:
    > I use the DI-604 because it gives me the ability to assign an IP
    > address to a MAC address in the static dhcp setup. Since I share the
    > wireless network with others, it allows me to assign specific IP
    > addresses that in turn can be specified in the firewalls on my PCs.
    > This keeps my neighbors out of my PCs and me out of theirs.

    Only if they're cooperative. It's easy enough for them to clone a MAC once a
    "trusted" machine is turned off.

    miguel
    Miguel Cruz, Aug 25, 2005
  10. David Taylor Guest

    > You can absolutely use DHCP to manage static addresses.

    I am fully aware of reservations! My point here is that the definition
    of DHCP is Dynamic and there's no such thing as Static Dynamic any more
    than there's hot/cold or up/down at the same time it is not possible to
    have opposites like this, a DHCP reservation is a DHCP reservation but
    you cannot manage a clients static address, only hand out the same
    dynamically assigned reserved address by a DHCPOffer upon the
    DHCPRequest or DHCPRenew packets. Yes, i'm being picky! :)

    This is unfortunate blatant abuse of terminology, I'll blame Linksys and
    Dlink for this at this time.

    It's rather pointless setting up DHCP to manage one machine as a static
    address, that's more work than is required.

    David.
    David Taylor, Aug 25, 2005
  11. David Taylor Guest

    > Only if they're cooperative. It's easy enough for them to clone a MAC once a
    > "trusted" machine is turned off.

    or change their IP addresses
    David Taylor, Aug 25, 2005
  12. Guest

    Thanks Jeff!

    I didn't realize that I can specify the router as the DNS server. I
    guess the RT31P2 just forwards the request.

    I assigned a static address to the DI-604 (outside dhcp range) and it
    works as desired.

    I realize that I have more devices than needed. Perhaps I'll eliminate
    the DI-604 and assign my machines to fixed IP addresses instead.

    Chris
    , Aug 26, 2005
  13. David Taylor Guest

    > I didn't realize that I can specify the router as the DNS server. I
    > guess the RT31P2 just forwards the request.

    Correct.

    > I realize that I have more devices than needed. Perhaps I'll eliminate
    > the DI-604 and assign my machines to fixed IP addresses instead.

    Sell the DI-604 on ebay ;)
    David Taylor, Aug 26, 2005
  14. David Taylor wrote:

    >> I realize that I have more devices than needed. Perhaps I'll eliminate
    >> the DI-604 and assign my machines to fixed IP addresses instead.

    > Sell the DI-604 on ebay ;)

    Can you get enough to make it worthwhile? They're pretty cheap.
    --
    derek
    Derek Broughton, Aug 26, 2005
  15. David Taylor Guest

    > Can you get enough to make it worthwhile? They're pretty cheap.

    They are cheap but it's redundant right now so might as well make a few
    pennies. :)
    David Taylor, Aug 26, 2005