    program? Is there some way from within windows or is there a utilty program
    ? I think I've done it before but I cant remember what I used.
    Thanks

    fros, Dec 14, 2003

  2. fros

    °Mike° Guest

    What is the right click menu item? And does it apply to
    folders, certain files, or what?

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 20:13:31 -0500, in
    <TMOCb.21530$>
    fros scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 14, 2003

  3. fros

    fros Guest

    i tried out a download manager called 'flashget' and it had & left rt click
    functions/commands to do it's thing.

    i've done some searching and there are ways to go poking about in the
    registry but i was hopin' for something simpler.

    Originally i thought tweakui may do it, but i checked it doesnt seem to. I
    found an app, that i'm not too sure of , called 'contextedit' - maybe i'll
    try it if nothing else comes up

    fros, Dec 14, 2003
  4. fros

    °Mike° Guest

    FlashGet is spyware. I monitored it's install/uninstall with
    InCtrl5. You will need to remove some registry entries,
    and some files/folders. To remove the registry entries,
    download this zip file:
    http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/killflashget.zip

    Unzip the .reg file to your desktop and right click/merge.
    You should get a confirmation dialog box that the merge
    succeeded. If you do, you have just removed the registry
    entries, which include the right click context entries.

    Next, Make sure the following folders are removed:
    C:\Program Files\FlashGet
    C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\FlashGet
    C:\Windows\System\AdCache

    Make sure the following files are removed:
    c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\cd_clint.dll
    custdata.ini

    Now, run Ad-Aware and SpyBot S&D, just to make sure.

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasofusa.com/

    SpyBot Search & Destroy
    http://security.kolla.de/

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 23:12:45 -0500, in
    <ToRCb.21714$>
    fros scrawled:

    °Mike°, Dec 14, 2003
  5. fros

    fros Guest

    Thank you for these detailed instructions..
    While on the subject, but slightly OT, is there a simple to use, spyware
    free d/l manager?

    fros, Dec 14, 2003
  6. fros

    fros Guest

    just tried to rt cliclick>merge the .reg file but there's no such option.
    Perhaps it's because I has already begun uninstalling the program?

    Also, you said "Make sure the following files are removed:
    c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\cd_clint.dll custdata.ini"
    I do have a copy of the cd_clint.dll, but it's in the KazaaLite folder, and
    it's apparently a dummy for the spyware??
    I dont have the custdata.ini

    fros, Dec 14, 2003
  7. fros

    fros Guest

    Since this damned Flashget has all but disappeared from my system Except for
    the rt-click context menu,
    the KillFlashget.reg file doesn't have a 'merge' option so it cant do the
    work you described.
    I tried to look at the KillFlashget.reg file and opened it in Notepad and
    found this list of redistry type entries. Is there another way to make the
    file effective other than the expected 'merge' command?

    fros, Dec 14, 2003
  8. fros

    °Mike° Guest

    You *should* have a 'Merge' option if you right click on
    the .reg file. Open your registry editor to the following
    key:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\open\command

    In the right-hand window, the (Default) should read:

    regedit.exe "%1"

    If it does not, modify it, and reboot.

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 13:33:53 -0500, in
    <a02Db.1391$>
    fros scrawled:

    °Mike°, Dec 14, 2003
  9. fros

    fros Guest

    Would the second directory be called HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\reg_auto_file ?
    Rather than just regfile?

    Then \shell\open\command

    & I have
    Name=Default and Data = C:\Windows\Notepad.exe"%1""

    fros, Dec 14, 2003
  10. fros

    °Mike° Guest

    The command location should correspond with what is in
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.reg . So, if the default for .reg is
    reg_auto_file, then yes, but if the default -- as is usual --
    is regfile, it should be as I stated. This is how it is on my
    machine -- exported .reg format (@ denotes 'Default'):

    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.reg]
    @="regfile"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile]
    @="Registration Entries"
    "EditFlags"=hex:00,00,00,00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\DefaultIcon]
    @="C:\\WINDOWS\\regedit.exe,1"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell]
    @="edit"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\open]
    @="Mer&ge"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\open\command]
    @="regedit.exe \"%1\""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\print]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\print\command]
    @="C:\\WINDOWS\\NOTEPAD.EXE /p %1"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\edit]
    @="&Edit"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\edit\command]
    @="C:\\WINDOWS\\NOTEPAD.EXE %1"

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:48:59 -0500, in
    <z63Db.1666$>
    fros scrawled:

    °Mike°, Dec 14, 2003
  11. fros

    fros Guest

    I cant make out why these reg entries look so different - my os is Win98se
    4.22222.A - what's yours - or would this not make any difference?.

    The registry is a little over my head so I dont want to make any changes
    unless I know exactly what to do.

    I just tried a 'workaround'. I ran JV16 PowerTools' RegistryCleaner and
    looked for and found 2 lines containing FlashGet and removed them (although
    the program didn't list them as safe to remove). Lo & behold the
    right -click FlashGet menu items are gone.
    Now, it's still a concern why I have this instead of what you have. What
    effect will it have I wonder.

    I have exported my file for you to see. If you know what I should do and how
    to do it please tell me like I'm a 6 year old:)
    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\reg_auto_file]
    @="REG File"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\reg_auto_file\shell]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\reg_auto_file\shell\open]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\reg_auto_file\shell\open\command]
    @="C:\\WINDOWS\\NOTEPAD.EXE \"%1\""

    thanks

    fros, Dec 14, 2003
  12. fros

    °Mike° Guest

    What does it say in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.reg ?

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 17:46:36 -0500, in
    <5J5Db.2224$>
    fros scrawled:

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 14, 2003
  13. fros

    fros Guest

    My ignorance must be showing. I'm a little confused by the question because
    I dont see a folder under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT that is just called reg.
    Only a folder called reg_auto_file as per the export posted here again ?

    fros, Dec 14, 2003
  14. fros

    °Mike° Guest

    Print this out, and back up your registry first.

    HOW TO Backup, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows

    Do *not* include any quotes unless otherwise stated.

    Now, right click on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and choose
    'New / Key'. Name it ".reg" (note the preceding dot!).
    In the right hand window of .reg, right click on 'Default'
    and 'Modify' to "regfile".

    Now, right click on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT again, and choose
    'New / Key'. Name it "regfile". Scroll down to the new key
    'regfile', right click on 'Default' and name it
    "Registration Entries".

    Right click on a black part of the right hand window of
    'regfile', choose 'New / Binary Value' and name it
    "EditFlags". Right click on 'EditFlags' and 'Modify' to
    00 00 00 00 (that's 8 zeros).

    Right click on 'regfile' and choose 'New / Key'. Name it
    "DefaultIcon". Right click on 'Default' of 'DefaultIcon'
    and modify to "C:\WINDOWS\regedit.exe,1" .

    Right click on 'regfile' and choose 'New / Key'. Name it
    "shell". Right click on 'Default' of 'Shell' and modify to
    "edit".

    Right click on 'regfile/shell' and choose 'New / Key'. Name
    it "edit". Right click on 'Default of 'edit' and modify to
    "&Edit".

    Right click on 'regfile/shell/edit' and choose 'New / Key'.
    Name it "command". Right click on 'Default' of 'command'
    and modify to "C:\WINDOWS\NOTEPAD.EXE %1".

    Right click on 'regfile/shell' and choose 'New / Key'. Name
    it "open". Right click on 'Default of 'open' and modify to
    "Mer&ge".

    Right click on 'regfile/shell/open' and choose 'New / Key'.
    Name it "command". Right click on 'Default' of 'command'
    and modify to "regedit.exe "%1"" -- there MUST be quotes
    around the %1 .

    Right click on 'regfile/shell' and choose 'New / Key'. Name
    if "print". Default can remain blank.

    Right click on 'regfile/shell/print' and choose 'New / Key'.
    Name it "command". Right click on 'Default' of 'command'
    and modify to "C:\WINDOWS\NOTEPAD.EXE /p %1" .

    You have now finished the editing, so close the registry
    editor, and reboot. Right click on a .reg file, and you
    should see the 'Merge' option.

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 18:47:37 -0500, in
    <hC6Db.2802$>
    fros scrawled:

    °Mike°, Dec 15, 2003
  15. fros

    fros Guest

    ok we're getting deeper here.
    if i dont write back within a day or two and say all is ok, you'll know it's
    because I cant reboot my machine :)

    please clarify:
    1.and modify to "regedit.exe "%1"" -- there MUST be quotes
    around the %1 .
    Q: Is that one quotation mark on the left of % and two on the right of 1 ?

    2.Right click on 'Default of 'open' and modify to
    "Mer&ge".
    Q: Is that & supposed to be there ?

    Just checking for typos that may render my system useless :)

    3. Would you use the built in editor Start>Run>Regeedit or would you use the
    registry editor available in Norton Utilities or another 3rd party tool ?

    --
    http://www.frankgross.com/

    http://www.odysseyphotography.com/images.htm

    fros, Dec 15, 2003
  16. fros

    Brian H¹© Guest

    fros said:

    > ok we're getting deeper here.
    > if i dont write back within a day or two and say all is ok, you'll know it's
    > because I cant reboot my machine :)
    >
    > please clarify:
    > 1.and modify to "regedit.exe "%1"" -- there MUST be quotes
    > around the %1 .

    I would say you have been given confusing information there, as I see the quotes
    (both single and double) as an emphasis.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 15, 2003
  17. fros

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:38:42 -0500, in
    <H69Db.3873$>
    fros scrawled:

    >ok we're getting deeper here.
    >if i dont write back within a day or two and say all is ok, you'll know it's
    >because I cant reboot my machine :)
    >
    >please clarify:
    >1.and modify to "regedit.exe "%1"" -- there MUST be quotes
    >around the %1 .
    >Q: Is that one quotation mark on the left of % and two on the right of 1 ?

    I quite clearly stated:
    "Do *not* include any quotes unless otherwise stated."

    Everywhere that I have enclosed names in quotes, is for the
    purpose of clarity. The actual entry should read:

    regedit.exe "%1"

    >2.Right click on 'Default of 'open' and modify to
    >"Mer&ge".
    >Q: Is that & supposed to be there ?

    The ampersand is supposed to be there. It tells the system
    that the letter following should be underlined, as the shortcut
    key. You can change the position of the ampersand -- if it
    conflicts with an already used letter -- if you wish.

    >Just checking for typos that may render my system useless :)
    >
    >3. Would you use the built in editor Start>Run>Regeedit or would
    >you use the registry editor available in Norton Utilities or another
    >3rd party tool ?

    Everything I have told you assumes the use of the built-in
    system regedit.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 15, 2003