    ones ?

    Thank´s for any helpfull information.

    Tom
    Thomas Hartenstein, Jan 19, 2004

  2. Thomas Hartenstein

    shope Guest

    "Thomas Hartenstein" <> wrote in message
    > Hello !
    >
    > Is the rapid spanning tree protokoll compatible with an invironment of
    > older switches and root-switches that are not capable handling this new
    > protocoll.

    rapid spanning tree is supposed to be compatible with 802.1d - but when you
    have a mixed domain then you loose some of the advantages.

    if you are a cisco shop you may be using cisco extensions to 802.d anyway
    which could complicate things.

    there is a cisco ref. design - have a look in
    www.cisco.com/go/srnd

    > We tested the STP-protokoll on this switches (it´s running).
    >
    > Is it necessary to "build" VLAN´s to isulate the RSTP-Switches from the

    old
    > ones ?

    No - but your rapid spanning tree may be a lot more rapid if it is
    separated.

    --
    Regards

    shope, Jan 19, 2004