    Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
    "There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can
    count in binary, and those who cannot." -unknown
    Mark Shaw, Feb 29, 2004

  2. On 29 Feb 2004 17:34:35 -0500, Mark Shaw wrote:

    > I'm pretty clueless about RSS, but would like to start
    > experimenting with it. I've found a few readers here and
    > there, but they all work with IE.
    >
    > Anything for Mozilla or Firefox? Anybody have any suggestions
    > on how to proceed?

    I use Amphetadesk daily to read RSS feeds with K-Meleon in MS-Windows.
    http://www.disobey.com/amphetadesk/

    For more RSS tools and information, see
    http://www.larkfarm.com/rss_resources.htm

    --
    Mark R. Blain, lid
    (change .INVALID to .NET to reply)
    Mark R. Blain, Mar 1, 2004

  3. Mark Shaw

    Jacob Riis Guest

    Mark Shaw wrote:
    > I'm pretty clueless about RSS, but would like to start
    > experimenting with it. I've found a few readers here and
    > there, but they all work with IE.
    >
    > Anything for Mozilla or Firefox? Anybody have any suggestions
    > on how to proceed?
    >
    > Thanks

    Mark, I just yesterday emailed someone about RSS and Mozilla Firebird. Take
    a look here:

    --- Copy pastet---
    I think you should write a little about RSS feeds. The Inquirer has one and
    I use it frequently. I could imagine you read quite a lot of webpages in
    your work. I see RSS a easy way of getting updated on the newssources I use.
    It saves time and is more convenient. I use the Mozilla Firefox browser
    together with the RSS Reader Panel Extension.

    Take a look at this screenshot how it looks on my computer.
    http://www.noname.frac.dk/upload/fil=/RSS_in_browser.png
    I have read that you like Mozilla Suite 1.6. If you have some time left you
    could try out Mozilla Firefox together with the RSS extension.

    It works this way: download Firefox and install the RSS Extension (
    http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info.php/rssreaderpanel )

    1. Create a folder in your bookmarks to store your RSS feeds.

    2. Go to http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer.rss add the site to your RSS
    folder that you have created
    3. Click on View -> Sidebar -> RSS-Reader ( or Alt +R) to get your RSS
    Reader up. Now you should see your own The Inq feed :)

    I recommend to go to View -> Toolbars -> Customize and add the RSS icon to
    your toolbar. Makes life a little simpler :)

    Even if you don't want to try out Mozilla Firefox and RSS Reader Panel I
    think you should write about RSS feeds. I have found a nice article about
    the subject ( http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1536902,00.asp ) In the
    link you will also find some nice background material.
    ----

    --
    Jacob
    Jacob Riis, Mar 1, 2004
  4. Mark Shaw

    mcubed Guest

    (Mark Shaw) wrote in

    > I'm pretty clueless about RSS, but would like to start
    > experimenting with it. I've found a few readers here and
    > there, but they all work with IE.
    >
    > Anything for Mozilla or Firefox? Anybody have any suggestions
    > on how to proceed?
    >
    > Thanks

    I second Jacob's recommendation of the RSS Reader Panel for Mozilla
    Firefox. I used to use Newsmonster with the Mozilla suite (up to 1.5) --
    it is somewhat more feature-rich but also a major resource and disc-space
    hog, and buggy. Then after trying a few others I settled on Amphetadesk
    for awhile. It is fairly straightforward and worked well enough, but I
    never warmed to the way it presents the feeds. It basically creates one
    big page in your browser, which I found could get tedious to scroll
    through once I'd subbed to a good number of feeds. I didn't feel it was
    really taking advantage of the power of RSS/XML to help me save time.
    Then I tried RSS Reader Panel, and I think this is *the one aggregator to
    rule them all.* :) It has a compartmentalized display in a Firefox
    sidebar (I don't normally use the sidebar for anything else, so this
    doesn't interfere with anything for me) and excellent integration with
    Firefox bookmarks. All you have to do to subscribe to a feed is add the
    XML page to the bookmark folder you designate for that purpose when you
    install the RSS Reader Panel. (Mine is called "Feeds" -- brilliant,
    huh?) You can add an "RSS" button to your toolbar if you wish for one-
    click access to your subscriptions. I really can't think how this piece
    of work could be more easily integrated into Firefox -- it has become my
    favorite extension. Or is it an add-on? Whatever, I'm very happy with
    it.

    | Michael M. ~~ ~~ New York City, NY USA |
    | "No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely |
    | under conditions of absolute reality;..." --S. Jackson |
    mcubed, Mar 2, 2004