    Stubby Guest

    Can someone tell me how to make Mozilla read RSS feeds? Is there a
    plugin? Or, should I look for an external program to do it?

    Stubby, Jun 6, 2005

  2. Stubby

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 13:59:57 -0400, in message
     <>, Stubby wrote:

    > Can someone tell me how to make Mozilla read RSS feeds? Is there a
    > plugin?

    Extension, not plug-in.

    Go to http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/main.php/Mozilla
    scroll down and look for the section "News and RSS Readers"

    > Or, should I look for an external program to do it?

    Thunderbird has a built in RSS reader.

    Firefox will show RSS headlines as "live bookmarks",
    (but it doesn't show the summary descriptions in the RSS feed).

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    somewhere else." -- Sam Walton

    Ralph Fox, Jun 6, 2005

  3. Stubby

    Stubby Guest

    Ralph Fox wrote:

    > On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 13:59:57 -0400, in message
    > <>, Stubby wrote:
    >

    >>Can someone tell me how to make Mozilla read RSS feeds? Is there a
    >>plugin?

    > Extension, not plug-in.
    >
    > Go to http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/main.php/Mozilla
    > scroll down and look for the section "News and RSS Readers"
    >

    >>Or, should I look for an external program to do it?

    > Thunderbird has a built in RSS reader.
    >
    > Firefox will show RSS headlines as "live bookmarks",
    > (but it doesn't show the summary descriptions in the RSS feed).

    Thanks. I'm not sure that FireFox, Thunderbird, and Netscape extensions
    will work on my Mozilla suite. Also, I have no idea of the difference
    between an extension and a plugin.

    I picked one from the menu you provided and hope it works!

    Stubby, Jun 7, 2005
  4. Stubby

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Stubby wrote:

    > Ralph Fox wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 13:59:57 -0400, in message
    >> <>, Stubby wrote:
    >>

    >>> Can someone tell me how to make Mozilla read RSS feeds? Is there a
    >>> plugin?

    >> Extension, not plug-in.
    >>
    >> Go to http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/main.php/Mozilla
    >> scroll down and look for the section "News and RSS Readers"
    >>

    >>> Or, should I look for an external program to do it?

    >> Thunderbird has a built in RSS reader.
    >>
    >> Firefox will show RSS headlines as "live bookmarks", (but it doesn't
    >> show the summary descriptions in the RSS feed).
    >>

    > Thanks. I'm not sure that FireFox, Thunderbird, and Netscape extensions
    > will work on my Mozilla suite. Also, I have no idea of the difference
    > between an extension and a plugin.
    >
    > I picked one from the menu you provided and hope it works!

    A plugin normally doesn't modify any Moz files, it simply puts a .dll
    and/or other files in the program's plugin directory. On startup Moz
    sees what plugin files are there and attempts to use them.

    An extension inserts new files and/or folders into either the Moz
    program folder structure or the user profile and also does modify Moz
    files. The extension must make itself "known" to the application via
    these changes. Pros and cons, arguments all night long about which is
    better or worse. I minimize my use of extensions. My personal
    experience is that they offer more possibility of introducing
    instability into the base application:

    1. They are written by anyone. Some are great, some ok, and some just
    give up and go away, orphaning users who are left with no recourse.
    2. There is no formal Mozilla.Org process for "blessing" an extension
    or certifying its compatibility either with the base app or any other
    extension. Hence, the maker of the base program is taking a hands-off
    approach to integration.
    3. Historically extensions seem to fail more often than plugins with
    new releases of the base app. You're screwed until the developer of the
    extension gets around to updating it. If they ever do, and some don't.
    4. The more of them you load the greater likelihood you will find
    yourself in a finger-pointing support dilemma: "It's not MY extension,
    it's theirs!" "It's not MY extension, it's the application!" "Hey! It
    worked in version x.x.x!" Lovely.
    5. Installing and uninstalling is not necessarily standardized.
    Install an extension, have it break your Moz-based app, and need to
    uninstall the extension. You are now faced with a myriad of
    possibilities, many of which are /not/ for the faint of heart, and
    possibly involving editing of Mozilla program/system files.
    6. Every time you install an extension you add to the size and
    complexity of the program, its load package, footprint, start-up-time,
    maintenance, etc. Given that one of the things that endears
    Firefox/Tbird to many people is the supposed slimmed-down construction,
    it makes me laugh to see how many extensions people are piling onto
    those base installs. Oh well.

    If there's another way, I'll use it before I install an extension. If I
    can do without, I'll do without before I install an extension. If I
    /must/ have it and there's no better way, yep, I'll install an
    extension. Things I use that aren't in the Mozilla Suite install
    package are:

    jslib (needed for Tagzilla)
    Tagzilla
    User Agent Switcher
    Preference Menu Resizer
    Tabbrowser Extensions
    Autoscroll

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jun 7, 2005
  5. Stubby

    Stubby Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:

> [...]

    > the extension. You are now faced with a myriad of possibilities, many
    > of which are /not/ for the faint of heart, and possibly involving
    > editing of Mozilla program/system files.
    > 6. Every time you install an extension you add to the size and
    > complexity of the program, its load package, footprint, start-up-time,
    > maintenance, etc. Given that one of the things that endears
    > Firefox/Tbird to many people is the supposed slimmed-down construction,
    > it makes me laugh to see how many extensions people are piling onto
    > those base installs. Oh well.
    >
    > If there's another way, I'll use it before I install an extension. If I
    > can do without, I'll do without before I install an extension. If I
    > /must/ have it and there's no better way, yep, I'll install an
    > extension. Things I use that aren't in the Mozilla Suite install

    I appreciate your presentation of plugins and extensions. Thanks.
    I use only jslib, Tagzilla and Calendar. Any comments on why jslib
    won't install these days? Signature verify fails.

    Stubby, Jun 7, 2005
  6. Stubby

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 20:08:30 -0400, in message
     <>, Stubby wrote:

    > Thanks.

    You're welcome.

    > I'm not sure that FireFox, Thunderbird, and Netscape extensions
    > will work on my Mozilla suite.

    Huh?

    1. I gave you the URL to the Mozilla suite extensions.

    Mozilla suite extensions: http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/main.php/Mozilla
    Firefox extensions: http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/main.php/Firefox
    Thunderbird extensions: http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/main.php/Thunderbird

    2. Aggreg8, Forumzilla, Habari Xenu, NewsMonster all say they are
    available for Mozilla Suite. As always, check the versions
    of the Mozilla suite which the extension supports.

    > Also, I have no idea of the difference
    > between an extension and a plugin.

    What is an extension: http://www.bytecave.net/anders/guide/SinglePage/#Whatis_ext
    What is a plugin: http://www.bytecave.net/anders/guide/SinglePage/#Whatis_plug

    Briefly,
    • Plugins allow you to see different media types (video, sound, etc)
    embedded in web pages. Plugins are software, like Media Player,
    QuickTime, and Acrobat Reader, except that instead of having their
    own application window the display is part of the web page in the
    browser window.
    • Extensions are small programs that use your Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird
    to run, and extend the Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird user interface with
    new features. There is no stand-alone equivalent with its own application
    window; these things have to be part of Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird to exist.

    > I picked one from the menu you provided and hope it works!

    So long as it supports the version of Mozilla suite which you run.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    You don't win wars by dying for your country.
    You win by making the other poor bastard die for his country.

    Ralph Fox, Jun 7, 2005