RSA vs. DSA/El Gama (not what you may think!!!)

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by ~David~, Jan 13, 2006.

  1. ~David~

    ~David~ Guest

    Hi all!

    This is a somewhat general question about encryption but I would
    like your input. I have heard "bit-for-bit" DSA/El Gamal is
    probably stronger than RSA, but fundamentally neither the
    discrete-log problem nor factoring problem have been solved in
    "polynomial" time, so this question does not center along those lines.

    Will my messages be more secure if I use an RSA key rather than DSA
    key - IN LIGHT OF THE FACT - that SHA-1 is considered "broken"
    (based on current research another image with the same hash can be
    found in 2^63 operations probably with either a massive internet
    search or NSA)? RSA allows use of SHA-2 hashes while DSA/El Gamal
    allows only SHA-1 (80 bits), so if I use DSA with SHA-1, can the
    SHA-1 hash be broken and will that break the encryption, allowing
    the attacker to read the message? Or is all of this non-sense and
    DSA with SHA-1 is safe for now?

    TIA,
    David

    ~David~, Jan 13, 2006