RPD Question on Nikon 5700 Battery Usage

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Hunt, Sep 13, 2004.

  1. Hunt

    Hunt Guest

    Hello to the group. I've got a question concerning my Nikon 5700 and battery
    usage: with the OEM rechargeable battery, I could usually do about 25 RAW
    images, before the indicator began moving and about 50 RAW images on a full
    charge, while the indicator slowly crept down. Sometime back, I added the MB-
    E5700 base mounted battery pack. I had initial problems with the NI-Mh
    batteries from the photo shop. I do not recall their brand now. With a full
    charge, they would not power up the camera. The shop replaced them with
    Camedia batteries by Olympus, which worked well, with one problem. On a fresh
    charge, I get about 2 RAW images, before the camera's battery indicator
    immediately falls to 1/4 charge. I can still shoot about 50 more RAW images,
    and have never run the batteries completely out, but the indicator really
    doesn't give me any idea of the actual state of the batteries. It doesn't seem
    to ever move from that 1/4 charge position. This can be very disconcerting, as
    I never know when the camera will just go dead. As I said, I have not fired
    until the batteries ARE dead, and always carry a complete set (six) fully
    charged spares, plus six non-rechargeables, just in case.

    Does anybody have any experience with the MB-E5700? Does anybody have any
    experience with the Camedia (Oly) rechargeables? Any thoughts on battery
    brand, or charger brands? So far, this has not created any problems, except
    for the fear, that I will suddenly run out of "juice," kinda' like driving an
    automobile with a gas gauge constantly stuck on 1/4 tank on a dark, lonely
    road.

    Also, these exposures are without the built-in flash. When using Nikon SB-80x,
    there seems to be no change in the indicator - still 1/4 battery life after 2
    exposures and there it stays.

    Thanks for your input,
    Hunt
    Hunt, Sep 13, 2004

  2. Hunt

    Frank ess Guest

    Hunt wrote:
    > Hello to the group. I've got a question concerning my Nikon 5700 and
    > battery usage: with the OEM rechargeable battery, I could usually do
    > about 25 RAW images, before the indicator began moving and about 50
    > RAW images on a full charge, while the indicator slowly crept down.
    > Sometime back, I added the MB- E5700 base mounted battery pack. I had
    > initial problems with the NI-Mh batteries from the photo shop. I do
    > not recall their brand now. With a full charge, they would not power
    > up the camera. The shop replaced them with Camedia batteries by
    > Olympus, which worked well, with one problem. On a fresh charge, I
    > get about 2 RAW images, before the camera's battery indicator
    > immediately falls to 1/4 charge. I can still shoot about 50 more RAW
    > images, and have never run the batteries completely out, but the
    > indicator really doesn't give me any idea of the actual state of the
    > batteries. It doesn't seem to ever move from that 1/4 charge
    > position. This can be very disconcerting, as I never know when the
    > camera will just go dead. As I said, I have not fired until the
    > batteries ARE dead, and always carry a complete set (six) fully
    > charged spares, plus six non-rechargeables, just in case.
    >
    > Does anybody have any experience with the MB-E5700? Does anybody have
    > any experience with the Camedia (Oly) rechargeables? Any thoughts on
    > battery brand, or charger brands? So far, this has not created any
    > problems, except for the fear, that I will suddenly run out of
    > "juice," kinda' like driving an automobile with a gas gauge
    > constantly stuck on 1/4 tank on a dark, lonely road.
    >
    > Also, these exposures are without the built-in flash. When using
    > Nikon SB-80x, there seems to be no change in the indicator - still
    > 1/4 battery life after 2 exposures and there it stays.
    >
    > Thanks for your input,
    > Hunt

    It's possible you have one of the earlier MB-E5700s. They had a defect
    that rendered many rechargables useless. That may be contributing to the
    shortcomings you note. Later models have no problem. I understand Nikon
    will eventually exchange for a recent one if you persist.

    A few days ago I did a couple dozen RAWs on a fully charged set of
    Panasonic 2100MAh cells on a CP8700 and the little battery display still
    shows "full".

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Sep 13, 2004

  3. Hunt

    Hunt Guest

    In article <>, says...

    >Hunt wrote:
    >> Hello to the group. I've got a question concerning my Nikon 5700 and
    >> battery usage: with the OEM rechargeable battery, I could usually do
    >> about 25 RAW images, before the indicator began moving and about 50
    >> RAW images on a full charge, while the indicator slowly crept down.
    >> Sometime back, I added the MB- E5700 base mounted battery pack. I had
    >> initial problems with the NI-Mh batteries from the photo shop. I do
    >> not recall their brand now. With a full charge, they would not power
    >> up the camera. The shop replaced them with Camedia batteries by
    >> Olympus, which worked well, with one problem. On a fresh charge, I
    >> get about 2 RAW images, before the camera's battery indicator
    >> immediately falls to 1/4 charge. I can still shoot about 50 more RAW
    >> images, and have never run the batteries completely out, but the
    >> indicator really doesn't give me any idea of the actual state of the
    >> batteries. It doesn't seem to ever move from that 1/4 charge
    >> position. This can be very disconcerting, as I never know when the
    >> camera will just go dead. As I said, I have not fired until the
    >> batteries ARE dead, and always carry a complete set (six) fully
    >> charged spares, plus six non-rechargeables, just in case.
    >>
    >> Does anybody have any experience with the MB-E5700? Does anybody have
    >> any experience with the Camedia (Oly) rechargeables? Any thoughts on
    >> battery brand, or charger brands? So far, this has not created any
    >> problems, except for the fear, that I will suddenly run out of
    >> "juice," kinda' like driving an automobile with a gas gauge
    >> constantly stuck on 1/4 tank on a dark, lonely road.
    >>
    >> Also, these exposures are without the built-in flash. When using
    >> Nikon SB-80x, there seems to be no change in the indicator - still
    >> 1/4 battery life after 2 exposures and there it stays.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your input,
    >> Hunt

    >It's possible you have one of the earlier MB-E5700s. They had a defect
    >that rendered many rechargables useless. That may be contributing to the
    >shortcomings you note. Later models have no problem. I understand Nikon
    >will eventually exchange for a recent one if you persist.
    >
    >A few days ago I did a couple dozen RAWs on a fully charged set of
    >Panasonic 2100MAh cells on a CP8700 and the little battery display still
    >shows "full".
    >
    >--
    >Frank ess

    Frank,

    Thanks. Actually, I had been thinking about everything BUT the MB-E5700. I'll
    stop by my camera shop on Wed. and talk to the salesman. Since I've been an
    NPS member, since the 70's I suppose that I could go that route, however, NPS
    ain't what it used to be. I appreciate the response, and will pursue a
    replacement - one way, or the other. BTW, how did you get this info? I've done
    a bunch of searching and have looked at every Nikon site for something to help
    me, with NO LUCK, what so ever.

    Appreciated,
    Hunt
    Hunt, Sep 14, 2004
  4. Hunt

    Frank ess Guest

    Hunt wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...

    <snip>

    > Frank,
    >
    > Thanks. Actually, I had been thinking about everything BUT the
    > MB-E5700. I'll stop by my camera shop on Wed. and talk to the
    > salesman. Since I've been an NPS member, since the 70's I suppose
    > that I could go that route, however, NPS ain't what it used to be. I
    > appreciate the response, and will pursue a replacement - one way, or
    > the other. BTW, how did you get this info? I've done a bunch of
    > searching and have looked at every Nikon site for something to help
    > me, with NO LUCK, what so ever.
    >
    > Appreciated,
    > Hunt

    I heard of it through one or another of the Yahoo! Nikon groups, if I
    remember correctly. Of course there is no guarantee of that: within the
    past few days I revisited a Web site whereon one of the victims has
    numerous photos of the offending battery compartment projection (that
    kept certain brands of cell from making perfect contact-short nipples)
    to see his update. Now I can't remember how I got there, nor the name of
    the fellow who put it there.

    A year or so there were a number of posts about the problem and its
    resolution in some online place I was reading. But I can't find those
    either.

    But it is out there. I promise.

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Sep 14, 2004
  5. Hunt

    Hunt Guest

    In article <>, says...

    >Hunt wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...

    ><snip>
    >

    >> Frank,
    >>
    >> Thanks. Actually, I had been thinking about everything BUT the
    >> MB-E5700. I'll stop by my camera shop on Wed. and talk to the
    >> salesman. Since I've been an NPS member, since the 70's I suppose
    >> that I could go that route, however, NPS ain't what it used to be. I
    >> appreciate the response, and will pursue a replacement - one way, or
    >> the other. BTW, how did you get this info? I've done a bunch of
    >> searching and have looked at every Nikon site for something to help
    >> me, with NO LUCK, what so ever.
    >>
    >> Appreciated,
    >> Hunt

    >I heard of it through one or another of the Yahoo! Nikon groups, if I
    >remember correctly. Of course there is no guarantee of that: within the
    >past few days I revisited a Web site whereon one of the victims has
    >numerous photos of the offending battery compartment projection (that
    >kept certain brands of cell from making perfect contact-short nipples)
    >to see his update. Now I can't remember how I got there, nor the name of
    >the fellow who put it there.
    >
    >A year or so there were a number of posts about the problem and its
    >resolution in some online place I was reading. But I can't find those
    >either.
    >
    >But it is out there. I promise.
    >
    >--
    >Frank ess

    Thanks for thinking. I have tried searching with about every keyword combo I
    can, and only find new and used MB-E5700's. I was looking for ammo for making
    my appeal. Maybe a call to NPS will yield some results - like, "5700 is NOT a
    pro camera, so you are on your own, sport... "

    If you find a URL, I'd greatly appreciate it. If I had a set of serial #'s, or
    something, I'd try for a replacement. In a worst case, I'll just buy a new
    one, provided that my camera shop will guarantee that it is "new and improved
    .."

    Hunt
    Hunt, Sep 14, 2004
  6. Hunt

    16point2mm Guest

    On 13 Sep 2004 16:22:00 GMT, (Hunt) wrote:

    >Does anybody have any experience with the MB-E5700? Does anybody have any
    >experience with the Camedia (Oly) rechargeables? Any thoughts on battery
    >brand, or charger brands?

    No experience with either the MB-E5700 or the Olympus batteries, but
    I did manage to find a dealer for replacement, non-OEM Nikon
    batteries. The lithium battery that ships with the 5700 is a very
    pathetic 650mAh. I picked up a pair of 1200mAh replacements for $14
    ea. I think it was through a company called "Blue Nook" or something
    similar. I ordered my filter set through them as well (although they
    don't carry the filter adapters). In the standard charger that ships
    with the camera, it takes less than an hour to bring each of these to
    full charge. Most of my shoots these days are still in .jpg's but I
    average about 250-300 shots, without the flash, on a single battery.

    Aside from your MB-E5700 most likely being faulty, I'd be concerned
    with using anything other than a lithium battery in this camera. I
    know these packs are supposed to be designed for the different
    chemical compositions, and the electricity produced would be the same
    at the output regardless, but it always makes me twitchy to use cells
    that the camera weren't designed to take. I used to shoot with a
    Canon A40, and I could get about 30 shots off with a set of 4-AA
    alkiline cells. With 4-AA Ni-Cd's, though, I could shoot for a couple
    of days straight without issue. What I always found odd, though, is
    that the camera shipped with a starter set of alkalines, yet the
    manual, burried a few pages in, in small print no less, stated that
    only Ni-Cd's should ever be used. Go figure!

    Anyway, hope this sheds some light on the situation.
    16point2mm, Sep 14, 2004
  7. Hunt

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 14 Sep 2004 03:50:12 GMT, in rec.photo.digital (Hunt)
    wrote:

    >Thanks for thinking. I have tried searching with about every keyword combo I
    >can, and only find new and used MB-E5700's. I was looking for ammo for making
    >my appeal. Maybe a call to NPS will yield some results - like, "5700 is NOT a
    >pro camera, so you are on your own, sport... "
    >
    >If you find a URL, I'd greatly appreciate it. If I had a set of serial #'s, or
    >something, I'd try for a replacement. In a worst case, I'll just buy a new
    >one, provided that my camera shop will guarantee that it is "new and improved

    Possibly mine?
    http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/CP_5700/Nits/Cp5700_nits.html
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf, Sep 14, 2004
  8. Hunt

    Hunt Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >On 14 Sep 2004 03:50:12 GMT, in rec.photo.digital (Hunt)
    >wrote:
    >

    >>Thanks for thinking. I have tried searching with about every keyword combo I
    >>can, and only find new and used MB-E5700's. I was looking for ammo for

    making
    >>my appeal. Maybe a call to NPS will yield some results - like, "5700 is NOT

    >>pro camera, so you are on your own, sport... "
    >>
    >>If you find a URL, I'd greatly appreciate it. If I had a set of serial #'s,

    or
    >>something, I'd try for a replacement. In a worst case, I'll just buy a new
    >>one, provided that my camera shop will guarantee that it is "new and

    improved

    >Possibly mine?
    > http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/CP_5700/Nits/Cp5700_nits.html
    >Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    >See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    >http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Wow Ed, thanks for the work. Do you happen to have any record of the contacts
    you made at Nikon, i.e. e-dresses, names? I'd like to not reinvent the wheel
    on this one if possible, especially since you have put so very much effort
    into it already. In the meantime, I'll haunt the camera shops looking for
    batteries with long positive nubs!

    Thanks ever so much,
    Hunt

    (For any correspondence, please use , by removing the "D")
    Hunt, Sep 14, 2004
  9. Hunt

    Hunt Guest

    In article <>, no_one@no_where.com
    says...

    >On 13 Sep 2004 16:22:00 GMT, (Hunt) wrote:
    >

    >>Does anybody have any experience with the MB-E5700? Does anybody have any
    >>experience with the Camedia (Oly) rechargeables? Any thoughts on battery
    >>brand, or charger brands?

    > No experience with either the MB-E5700 or the Olympus batteries, but
    >I did manage to find a dealer for replacement, non-OEM Nikon
    >batteries. The lithium battery that ships with the 5700 is a very
    >pathetic 650mAh. I picked up a pair of 1200mAh replacements for $14
    >ea. I think it was through a company called "Blue Nook" or something
    >similar. I ordered my filter set through them as well (although they
    >don't carry the filter adapters). In the standard charger that ships
    >with the camera, it takes less than an hour to bring each of these to
    >full charge. Most of my shoots these days are still in .jpg's but I
    >average about 250-300 shots, without the flash, on a single battery.
    >
    > Aside from your MB-E5700 most likely being faulty, I'd be concerned
    >with using anything other than a lithium battery in this camera. I
    >know these packs are supposed to be designed for the different
    >chemical compositions, and the electricity produced would be the same
    >at the output regardless, but it always makes me twitchy to use cells
    >that the camera weren't designed to take. I used to shoot with a
    >Canon A40, and I could get about 30 shots off with a set of 4-AA
    >alkiline cells. With 4-AA Ni-Cd's, though, I could shoot for a couple
    >of days straight without issue. What I always found odd, though, is
    >that the camera shipped with a starter set of alkalines, yet the
    >manual, burried a few pages in, in small print no less, stated that
    >only Ni-Cd's should ever be used. Go figure!
    >
    > Anyway, hope this sheds some light on the situation.

    Thanks for the feedback. It seems that Ed Ruf might have located the problem
    specific to my MB and the batteries. My first set probably were shorter on the
    positive end, than the Oly's, but the Oly's are still too short for the MB. I
    will also look into the in-camera batteries that you mentioned, though I
    really like the camera's balance with the MB attached, and of course, like the
    idea of the extra power - that I'm supposed to get - from the MB's batteries.

    Hunt
    Hunt, Sep 14, 2004
  10. Hunt

    Frank ess Guest

    Ed Ruf wrote:
    > On 14 Sep 2004 03:50:12 GMT, in rec.photo.digital
    > (Hunt)
    > wrote:
    >

    >> Thanks for thinking. I have tried searching with about every keyword
    >> combo I can, and only find new and used MB-E5700's. I was looking
    >> for ammo for making my appeal. Maybe a call to NPS will yield some
    >> results - like, "5700 is NOT a pro camera, so you are on your own,
    >> sport... "
    >>
    >> If you find a URL, I'd greatly appreciate it. If I had a set of
    >> serial #'s, or something, I'd try for a replacement. In a worst
    >> case, I'll just buy a new one, provided that my camera shop will
    >> guarantee that it is "new and improved

    > Possibly mine?

    http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/CP_5700/Nits/Cp5700_nits.html

    That's it!

    Thank you. Let me plead senior moment and ask for a charitable
    disposition by the Court.

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Sep 14, 2004
  11. Hunt

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:55:55 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Frank ess"
    <> wrote:

    >That's it!
    >
    >Thank you. Let me plead senior moment and ask for a charitable
    >disposition by the Court.

    Hey Frank, your MHAR photos are worth any amount of slips to me. Thanks
    again for those.
    Ed Ruf, Sep 15, 2004
  12. Hunt

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 14 Sep 2004 15:46:11 GMT, in rec.photo.digital (Hunt)
    wrote:

    >Wow Ed, thanks for the work. Do you happen to have any record of the contacts
    >you made at Nikon, i.e. e-dresses, names? I'd like to not reinvent the wheel
    >on this one if possible, especially since you have put so very much effort
    >into it already. In the meantime, I'll haunt the camera shops looking for
    >batteries with long positive nubs!

    I mailed what I have to you. FWIW, I don't thing you'll find high capacity
    batts that work these days, though I can always be proven wrong. I can say
    the replacement unit I was sent works with the latest Ansmann 2300 mAh NiMH
    batts I bought this past July.

    Ed Ruf, Sep 15, 2004
  13. Hunt

    Hunt Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >On 14 Sep 2004 15:46:11 GMT, in rec.photo.digital (Hunt)
    >wrote:
    >

    >>Wow Ed, thanks for the work. Do you happen to have any record of the

    contacts
    >>you made at Nikon, i.e. e-dresses, names? I'd like to not reinvent the wheel
    >>on this one if possible, especially since you have put so very much effort
    >>into it already. In the meantime, I'll haunt the camera shops looking for
    >>batteries with long positive nubs!

    >I mailed what I have to you. FWIW, I don't thing you'll find high capacity
    >batts that work these days, though I can always be proven wrong. I can say
    >the replacement unit I was sent works with the latest Ansmann 2300 mAh NiMH
    >batts I bought this past July.

    >Ed Ruf

    I just got back from shoot, and haven't checked my inbox yet, but I have an
    update from the retailer from whom I purchased the MB. I sat down with them
    and discussed the issue. They plead total ignorance and really seemed to be
    uninterested, until I told them I wasn't looking for them to do anything under
    warranty. They perked righ up - this is obviously a sign to me, that I need to
    think about when I invest in DSLR. Anyway, we looked at a new MB and guess
    what? It is different in all the areas you pointed out in your macro shots.
    Nikon has changed the MB. I tried their unit and it performed perfectly. After
    10 RAWs, I was still at 100%. I erased those and did some more - still 100%. I
    put the batteries (mine) back into my MB and did 2 shots - 1/4 batt life
    showing now. They hemmed, they hawed, then said the Nikon rep was due there in
    about 30 min and even called him on his cell. He claimed to know nothing of
    the change/problem, and unfortunately, I could not wait for him. I left all my
    info and NPS membership data, and will wait Nikon. I will also retrieve your
    data and start a paper trail of correspondence, just in case. I've shot Nikon,
    or Nikkor, for all of my professional life (35 years) and have loved the
    cameras and lenses, but their "reps" have always left me cold! We'll see if
    that has changed. If push comes to shove, I'll just buy another MB and toss
    mine, but I hate to think it will come to that. If I do buy, my normal
    retailer might not get the sale, since I've spent $35000 over the last two
    years there, and I was checking to see if my deoderant had failed the way they
    acted.

    Thank you for all of your efforts and research into the past for my answers.
    You are 100% correct about the problem. Now it's up to Nikon.

    Thanks,
    Hunt
    Hunt, Sep 15, 2004