    Would there be a possibility to have some light shedding in this area?

    Thank you.

    Manuel Moore

    Manuel Moore, Jan 19, 2007

  2. Manuel Moore wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > we were talking about RPC over HTTP in class today and I'm not quite
    > sure that I understood how it works.
    >
    > Would there be a possibility to have some light shedding in this area?
    >
    > Thank you.
    >

    > Manuel Moore

    I assume you mean in the context of Exchange & Outlook 2003? If so, it
    essentially avoids the need for a VPN connection by encapsulating the
    Exchange traffic through HTTP. Hope this helps.

    Jonathan Roberts, Jan 20, 2007

  3. Manuel Moore

    Manuel Moore Guest

    On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 21:40:33 -0600, Jonathan Roberts
    <> wrote:

    >Manuel Moore wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> we were talking about RPC over HTTP in class today and I'm not quite
    >> sure that I understood how it works.
    >>
    >> Would there be a possibility to have some light shedding in this area?
    >>
    >> Thank you.
    >>

    >> Manuel Moore

    >I assume you mean in the context of Exchange & Outlook 2003? If so, it
    >essentially avoids the need for a VPN connection by encapsulating the
    >Exchange traffic through HTTP. Hope this helps.

    Sorry I didn't mention that.
    The Outlook Connection is wrapped in a HTTP connection to go through
    the outer firewall i.o.t. reach the front-end Exchange Server.
    But what I don't quite understand is what happens then. For if I
    understood it correctly, the front-end Exchange Server cannot have any
    of the mailboxes on it.

    Thank you

    Manuel Moore, Jan 20, 2007
  4. Manuel Moore

    wagnerk Guest

    It looks like this dicussion is talking about 2 different things here:

    Front-end/back-end configuration and the RPC over HTTP question.

    The Front-end/back-end configuration is recommended practice for setting up
    Exchange in your environment, but you don't have to have it that way (just
    look at Windows 2003 SBS). The back-end server is what does all the
    processing/hosts the mailboxes, the frontend server is what the users would
    use, for example to use Outlook web access/to retrieve their e-mails. So the
    front end server would pass the instructions to the back-end server then
    retrieve the data for the user (the user doesn't have direct access to the
    back-end server).

    RPC over HTTP allows users to use the Outlook client (not OWA) to retrieve
    their e-mails from, for example, home - instead of having to be at work to
    retrieve their e-mails. Setting up the Outlook client is very similar to say
    setting up a POP3 account or mapi/imap account, etc. It's the back end (the
    engineer's/admin's role not the DST role) that is very different.

    I hope this clears it up alittle bit :)

    -Ken

    wagnerk, Jan 20, 2007
  5. Manuel Moore

    Manuel Moore Guest

    On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 14:40:11 -0800, wagnerk
    <> wrote:

    >It looks like this dicussion is talking about 2 different things here:
    >
    >Front-end/back-end configuration and the RPC over HTTP question.
    >
    >The Front-end/back-end configuration is recommended practice for setting up
    >Exchange in your environment, but you don't have to have it that way (just
    >look at Windows 2003 SBS). The back-end server is what does all the
    >processing/hosts the mailboxes, the frontend server is what the users would
    >use, for example to use Outlook web access/to retrieve their e-mails. So the
    >front end server would pass the instructions to the back-end server then
    >retrieve the data for the user (the user doesn't have direct access to the
    >back-end server).
    >
    >RPC over HTTP allows users to use the Outlook client (not OWA) to retrieve
    >their e-mails from, for example, home - instead of having to be at work to
    >retrieve their e-mails. Setting up the Outlook client is very similar to say
    >setting up a POP3 account or mapi/imap account, etc. It's the back end (the
    >engineer's/admin's role not the DST role) that is very different.
    >
    >I hope this clears it up alittle bit :)
    >
    >-Ken

    It does indeed.
    Our trainer explained to us that the front-end/back-end configuration
    is absolutely necessary to be able to do RPC over HTTP.
    I guess it got a little mixed up for he explained the OWA and RPC over
    HTTP at the same time (almost).

    Thank you very much.

    Manuel Moore, Jan 20, 2007