    company to fight for me, hopefully to force these crooks to honor
    their advertised price to me.
    Beware!

    Carol Ane A. Bloomquist, Dec 2, 2004

  2. "Carol Ane A. Bloomquist" <> wrote in message
    > Royal Camera & Video of Brooklyn, NY, will not honor its WEB posted
    > prices. This company uses discounted prices advertised for the Canon
    > EOS 1D Mark II DSLR, $2999.00, to lure customers into ordering. When
    > the invoice arrives, they charge the full undiscounted US price,
    > $4199.99.
    > I got stung by this racket, and am pursuing getting my credit card
    > company to fight for me, hopefully to force these crooks to honor
    > their advertised price to me.
    > Beware!

    Pursue it with the New York attorney general too.

    And above all, preserve evidence. If the ad exists only as a web page, then
    guess what? They can change it at a moment's notice, and you can't prove
    that any copy you made of it is genuine.

    You could however still convince a jury that you wouldn't have ordered from
    them if the price had not been lower than other major retailers. So that's
    a fact worth establishing.

    Michael A. Covington, Dec 2, 2004

  3. Carol Ane A. Bloomquist

    Mark² Guest

    > Royal Camera & Video of Brooklyn, NY, will not honor its WEB posted
    > prices. This company uses discounted prices advertised for the Canon
    > EOS 1D Mark II DSLR, $2999.00, to lure customers into ordering. When
    > the invoice arrives, they charge the full undiscounted US price,
    > $4199.99.
    > I got stung by this racket, and am pursuing getting my credit card
    > company to fight for me, hopefully to force these crooks to honor
    > their advertised price to me.
    > Beware!

    Before you throw your money at another KNOWN scam shop, check here.
    You'd have been steered clear of these scammers.

    Mark², Dec 2, 2004
  4. Carol Ane A. Bloomquist

    datebirk Guest

    Chances are you'll get *some* of your money back, but it will take weeks (or
    months) and you'll never get the camera from them at their advertised price.

    Check out their customer reviews at http://www.resellerratings.com and
    http://www.photo.net.

    datebirk, Dec 2, 2004
  5. Carol Ane A. Bloomquist

    Tony Guest

    Send the camera back. You will NEVER get them to honour the advertised price
    and there are always fairly hidden gotchas to keep them from having to do
    so. The credit card company will only refund your money to you and only then
    if you return the item. There is usually a fairly short amount of time in
    which you can do this so call them tomorrow (your credit card company) and
    get the process started. You will have to return the item insured and
    tracked or they will simply deny that it ever came back. You'll end up out
    the shipping, but that is a pretty small loss considering what those sharks
    might have done to you.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Dec 2, 2004
  6. Carol Ane A. Bloomquist

    Don Dunlap Guest

    > Royal Camera & Video of Brooklyn, NY, will not honor its WEB posted
    > prices. This company uses discounted prices advertised for the Canon
    > EOS 1D Mark II DSLR, $2999.00, to lure customers into ordering. When
    > the invoice arrives, they charge the full undiscounted US price,
    > $4199.99.
    > I got stung by this racket, and am pursuing getting my credit card
    > company to fight for me, hopefully to force these crooks to honor
    > their advertised price to me.
    > Beware!

    Adopt the philosophy, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably
    isn't!!!!"

    Don Dunlap

    Don Dunlap, Dec 2, 2004
  7. Carol Ane A. Bloomquist

    BG250 Guest

    What totally amazes me is how these NY scam shops stay in business so long
    and how this style of business has thrived for so many years (sucker born
    every minute?). Before the WWW, their main route to sales were their ads in
    the backs of photo magazines. I believe the government should not get
    involved with business anymore than it is, but maybe an exception here.

    There are good guys though. B&H, Adorama, and KEH (not in NY) are the ones
    I'm familiar with.
    bg

    BG250, Dec 2, 2004
  8. "BG250" <> wrote in message
    > What totally amazes me is how these NY scam shops stay in business so long
    > and how this style of business has thrived for so many years (sucker born
    > every minute?). Before the WWW, their main route to sales were their ads
    > in
    > the backs of photo magazines. I believe the government should not get
    > involved with business anymore than it is, but maybe an exception here.

    A certain kind of regulation is necessary for freedom. In order to have a
    free market, you have to have an authority that prevents fraud and false
    advertising, so that people have the freedom to make the deals they actually
    want to make.

    I suggest that anyone who identifies a photo scammer should write to his/her
    Congressman. Government is ignoring something that government ought not to
    ignore. Crime is crime and fraud is fraud. A set of congressional hearings
    would be a good thing.

    Michael A. Covington, Dec 2, 2004
  9. Carol Ane A. Bloomquist

    DFS Guest

    > Adopt the philosophy, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably
    > isn't!!!!"
    >
    > Don Dunlap

    Another good philosophy for many here to consider adopting:

    If I'm too stupid to realize that Don's suggested philosophy makes REAL
    sense, I ought not be allowed to play with REAL money.

    ds

    DFS, Dec 2, 2004
  10. "DFS" <> wrote in message

    >> Adopt the philosophy, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably
    >> isn't!!!!"
    >>
    >> Don Dunlap

    I think what's going on is that fraudsters are being assisted by Internet
    search engines that find the lowest advertised price - regardless of who's
    advertising it.

    Expanding on what Don said, if it were possible to sell the product reliably
    for a price 15% lower than B&H, Adorama, and Samy's, then how would B&H,
    Adorama, and Samy's stay in business? The answer: The people with lower
    prices aren't really selling the product.

    Michael A. Covington, Dec 2, 2004
  11. Carol Ane A. Bloomquist

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 07:44:01 GMT, Tony <> wrote:

    >Send the camera back.

    > You'll end up out
    >the shipping, but that is a pretty small loss considering what those sharks
    >might have done to you.

    On their web site I find: "All returns are subject to a 5% restocking
    charge and shipping charges are not refundable." So if she sends it back
    she will have to pay $210 and she will have no recourse for a refund of it.
    Plus the shipping.

    See: http://www.royalcamera.com/info.html

    Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

    Don Wiss, Dec 3, 2004
  12. Carol Ane A. Bloomquist

    Don Wiss Guest

    Carol Ane A. Bloomquist <> wrote:

    >Royal Camera & Video of Brooklyn, NY, will not honor its WEB posted
    >prices. This company uses discounted prices advertised for the Canon
    >EOS 1D Mark II DSLR, $2999.00, to lure customers into ordering. When
    >the invoice arrives, they charge the full undiscounted US price,
    >$4199.99.
    >I got stung by this racket, and am pursuing getting my credit card
    >company to fight for me, hopefully to force these crooks to honor
    >their advertised price to me.
    >Beware!

    You are absolutely dreaming if you think you can get it for that price.
    They aren't going to do it. The best you can do is to get them to match the
    $3,855 price at buydig.com. Checking B&H I find $4,099.95. So probably the
    best you can do is to get $100 off, or return it and take the 5% hit.

    Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

    Don Wiss, Dec 3, 2004
  13. "Don Wiss" <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 07:44:01 GMT, Tony <> wrote:
    >
    >>Send the camera back.

    >> You'll end up out
    >>the shipping, but that is a pretty small loss considering what those
    >>sharks
    >>might have done to you.

    > On their web site I find: "All returns are subject to a 5% restocking
    > charge and shipping charges are not refundable." So if she sends it back
    > she will have to pay $210 and she will have no recourse for a refund of
    > it.
    > Plus the shipping.

    That policy only applies to returns where the customer got the right goods
    at the right price and then changed his mind. (That's what restocking fees
    are for.) When they're at fault, they can't supersede the law of the land
    and the regulations of the credit card issuer by just putting fine print on
    a web page.

    Michael A. Covington, Dec 3, 2004
  14. "Don Wiss" <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote in message
    > Carol Ane A. Bloomquist <> wrote:
    >
    >>Royal Camera & Video of Brooklyn, NY, will not honor its WEB posted
    >>prices. This company uses discounted prices advertised for the Canon
    >>EOS 1D Mark II DSLR, $2999.00, to lure customers into ordering. When
    >>the invoice arrives, they charge the full undiscounted US price,
    >>$4199.99.
    >>I got stung by this racket, and am pursuing getting my credit card
    >>company to fight for me, hopefully to force these crooks to honor
    >>their advertised price to me.
    >>Beware!

    > You are absolutely dreaming if you think you can get it for that price.
    > They aren't going to do it. The best you can do is to get them to match
    > the
    > $3,855 price at buydig.com. Checking B&H I find $4,099.95. So probably the
    > best you can do is to get $100 off, or return it and take the 5% hit.

    No -- False advertising is a crime. He must return it, protest the ENTIRE
    credit card charge (no nonsense about restocking fees), preserve evidence,
    and turn them in to the authorities both state and federal. If he consents
    to their high price, he's supporting a scam and making the world worse for
    the rest of us.

    Michael A. Covington, Dec 3, 2004
  15. Carol Ane A. Bloomquist wrote:

    > Royal Camera & Video of Brooklyn, NY, will not honor its WEB posted
    > prices. This company uses discounted prices advertised for the Canon
    > EOS 1D Mark II DSLR, $2999.00, to lure customers into ordering. When
    > the invoice arrives, they charge the full undiscounted US price,
    > $4199.99.
    > I got stung by this racket, and am pursuing getting my credit card
    > company to fight for me, hopefully to force these crooks to honor
    > their advertised price to me.
    > Beware!

    I would also contact Popular Photography and tell them exactly what
    happened. Ask them to find out why one of their advertisers is scamming
    you, and whether they will continue to be allowed to advertise.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Dec 3, 2004
  16. Carol Ane A. Bloomquist

    Mark² Guest

    "Gary Eickmeier" <> wrote in message

    > Carol Ane A. Bloomquist wrote:
    >
    > > Royal Camera & Video of Brooklyn, NY, will not honor its WEB posted
    > > prices. This company uses discounted prices advertised for the Canon
    > > EOS 1D Mark II DSLR, $2999.00, to lure customers into ordering. When
    > > the invoice arrives, they charge the full undiscounted US price,
    > > $4199.99.
    > > I got stung by this racket, and am pursuing getting my credit card
    > > company to fight for me, hopefully to force these crooks to honor
    > > their advertised price to me.
    > > Beware!

    > I would also contact Popular Photography and tell them exactly what
    > happened. Ask them to find out why one of their advertisers is scamming
    > you, and whether they will continue to be allowed to advertise.
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier

    Ah... If only Pop Photo really gave a rat's petudy...

    They D-O-N-'T. -Which is just one more reason why I have ZERO respect for
    that "catalogue-posing-as-a-magazine."

    Mark², Dec 3, 2004
  17. Carol Ane A. Bloomquist

    Tony Guest

    They can't enforce the restocking charge. The credit card company will not
    withhold it.

    Tony, Dec 3, 2004
  18. Carol Ane A. Bloomquist

    Tony Guest

    And then listen to Keppler and the rest of those stinking slimeballs
    laughing at you.

    Tony, Dec 3, 2004
  19. Carol Ane A. Bloomquist

    Skip M Guest

    > Carol Ane A. Bloomquist wrote:
    >
    >> Royal Camera & Video of Brooklyn, NY, will not honor its WEB posted
    >> prices. This company uses discounted prices advertised for the Canon
    >> EOS 1D Mark II DSLR, $2999.00, to lure customers into ordering. When
    >> the invoice arrives, they charge the full undiscounted US price,
    >> $4199.99.
    >> I got stung by this racket, and am pursuing getting my credit card
    >> company to fight for me, hopefully to force these crooks to honor
    >> their advertised price to me. Beware!

    > I would also contact Popular Photography and tell them exactly what
    > happened. Ask them to find out why one of their advertisers is scamming
    > you, and whether they will continue to be allowed to advertise.
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier

    PopPhoto couldn't care less. These guys, and others like them, have been
    advertising for years under a variety of names, PopPhoto has never done
    anything to enforce their supposed policy of ethics, despite numerous and
    constant complaints.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Dec 3, 2004
  20. >> Carol Ane A. Bloomquist wrote:

    >>> Royal Camera & Video of Brooklyn, NY, will not honor its WEB posted
    >>> prices. This company uses discounted prices advertised for the Canon
    >>> EOS 1D Mark II DSLR, $2999.00, to lure customers into ordering. When
    >>> the invoice arrives, they charge the full undiscounted US price,
    >>> $4199.99.

    Back to Step 1 -- I presume you called Royal and told them you wanted the
    web advertised price? It's possible they didn't know what was on their web
    site.

    Of course, the problem is that a web site is not permanent. You could save
    a copy of it, but you couldn't prove it wasn't altered by you.

    >>> I got stung by this racket, and am pursuing getting my credit card
    >>> company to fight for me, hopefully to force these crooks to honor
    >>> their advertised price to me. Beware!

    >> I would also contact Popular Photography and tell them exactly what
    >> happened. Ask them to find out why one of their advertisers is scamming
    >> you, and whether they will continue to be allowed to advertise.

    Despite the cynicism others have expressed, I think that is a good idea.
    Popular Photography *does* care -- but the sleazy vendors do a great deal to
    keep Pop. Photo. staff from ever hearing about how bad they are.

    Michael A. Covington, Dec 3, 2004