    message that says "unable to find a certificate file"? I went to my starup
    file but couldn't find any Roxio reference. I went into my registry and
    deleted all Roxio references also. How can I make it stop?

    anon, Oct 7, 2007

  2. anon

    thanatoid Guest

    "anon" <pa_ > wrote in
    news::

    > For some unknown reason I keep getting an application
    > trying to upgrade Roxio Media Manager. I do not have
    > Roxio? At one point I then get an error message that says
    > "unable to find a certificate file"? I went to my starup
    > file but couldn't find any Roxio reference. I went into my
    > registry and deleted all Roxio references also. How can I
    > make it stop?

    Roxio used to be called Adaptec and many times the companies
    don't bother changing certain files or registry entries' names.
    The main LG CD-ROM driver is still called GS something (for
    GoldStar, their original name).

    Do the same searches for Adaptec and see what happens.

    Be careful, you MAY have Adaptec ASPI drivers which you actually
    need, but those will be in the win sys directory and should be
    fairly easily identifiable. They MAY be accompanied by "upgrade"
    prompt exes which you can just delete.

    You can also get TaskInfo from www.iarsn.com or something
    similar and see exactly what file(s) are running that "shouldn't
    be" when these messages appear, find them, and dump them.

    You MAY be the victim of some kind of a minor hijack although
    not being a IE/OE user, I don't know much about that.

    thanatoid, Oct 7, 2007

  3. anon

    Gregg Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    > "anon" <pa_ > wrote in
    >
    >> For some unknown reason I keep getting an application
    >> trying to upgrade Roxio Media Manager. I do not have
    >> Roxio? At one point I then get an error message that says
    >> "unable to find a certificate file"? I went to my starup
    >> file but couldn't find any Roxio reference. I went into my
    >> registry and deleted all Roxio references also. How can I
    >> make it stop?

    > Roxio used to be called Adaptec and many times the companies
    > don't bother changing certain files or registry entries' names.
    > The main LG CD-ROM driver is still called GS something (for
    > GoldStar, their original name).
    >
    > Do the same searches for Adaptec and see what happens.
    >
    > Be careful, you MAY have Adaptec ASPI drivers which you actually
    > need, but those will be in the win sys directory and should be
    > fairly easily identifiable. They MAY be accompanied by "upgrade"
    > prompt exes which you can just delete.
    >
    > You can also get TaskInfo from www.iarsn.com or something
    > similar and see exactly what file(s) are running that "shouldn't
    > be" when these messages appear, find them, and dump them.
    >
    > You MAY be the victim of some kind of a minor hijack although
    > not being a IE/OE user, I don't know much about that.

    Isn't Roxio party to XP's CD writer?

    Gregg, Oct 7, 2007
  4. anon

    anon Guest

    How do I get it to quit trying to run??

    anon, Oct 7, 2007
  5. anon

    thanatoid Guest

    Gregg <> wrote in

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >> "anon" <pa_ > wrote in
    >>
    >>> For some unknown reason I keep getting an application
    >>> trying to upgrade Roxio Media Manager. I do not have
    >>> Roxio? At one point I then get an error message that
    >>> says "unable to find a certificate file"? I went to my
    >>> starup file but couldn't find any Roxio reference. I
    >>> went into my registry and deleted all Roxio references
    >>> also. How can I make it stop?

    >> Roxio used to be called Adaptec and many times the
    >> companies don't bother changing certain files or registry
    >> entries' names. The main LG CD-ROM driver is still called
    >> GS something (for GoldStar, their original name).
    >>
    >> Do the same searches for Adaptec and see what happens.
    >>
    >> Be careful, you MAY have Adaptec ASPI drivers which you
    >> actually need, but those will be in the win sys directory
    >> and should be fairly easily identifiable. They MAY be
    >> accompanied by "upgrade" prompt exes which you can just
    >> delete.
    >>
    >> You can also get TaskInfo from www.iarsn.com or something
    >> similar and see exactly what file(s) are running that
    >> "shouldn't be" when these messages appear, find them, and
    >> dump them.
    >>
    >> You MAY be the victim of some kind of a minor hijack
    >> although not being a IE/OE user, I don't know much about
    >> that.

    > Isn't Roxio party to XP's CD writer?

    I know nothing about XP or Vista and I am happy to keep it this
    way.
    I sure hope the "XP CD writer" is better than IE/OE, Notepad,
    the Windows firewall (I believe they have their own) and other
    security "features".

    And if Roxio stuff IS part of XP, then it's just the XP
    trojans/popups acting up. I'm sure SOMEONE will know how to
    disable them.

    thanatoid, Oct 8, 2007
  6. anon

    thanatoid Guest

    "anon" <pa_ > wrote in

    > How do I get it to quit trying to run??

    Upgrade to 98SE or Linux.

    Maybe someone else who knows will wake up and respond to your
    post. I just did 'cos no one else did so I said all I could say.

    You *could* search the Microsoft "knowledge base" but it's not a
    pretty experience. However, since their products cause so many
    problems, there are "solutions" to almost everything imaginable
    there.

    Or, try www.annoyances.org or some of their links.
    Seriously, it's a good site.

    thanatoid, Oct 8, 2007