    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death
    your right to say it." - Evelyn Beatrice Hall under the
    pseudonym Stephen G. Tallentyre
    All Things Mopar, Nov 5, 2005

  2. All Things Mopar

    docmill Guest

    All Things Mopar <> wrote in
    news:Xns9704ECD74583CReplyID@216.196.97.131:

    > ISO DVD-R standard

    And your burner is a what?

    --
    **************SEND ME A LINK******************
    Docmill's "Home Of Hotlinks In the FryingSpam"
    docmill, Nov 5, 2005

  3. Today docmill spoke these views with conviction for everyone's
    edification:

    > All Things Mopar <> wrote in
    >
    >> ISO DVD-R standard

    > And your burner is a what?

    What possible difference does that make? It isn't the burner
    that creates the file system that goes on the disc, but the
    software. But, my CD and DVD burner are by Lite On, manufactured
    by Matsushita. Meanwhile, thankfully, I have discovered an
    alternate way to burn DVD-Rs that do support the full 127
    character file names off UDF-102, which is plenty since I limit
    mine to 115.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    All Things Mopar, Nov 5, 2005
  4. All Things Mopar

    old jon Guest

    "All Things Mopar" <> wrote in message
    > Today docmill spoke these views with conviction for everyone's
    > edification:
    >
    >> All Things Mopar <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> ISO DVD-R standard

    >> And your burner is a what?

    > What possible difference does that make? It isn't the burner
    > that creates the file system that goes on the disc, but the
    > software. But, my CD and DVD burner are by Lite On, manufactured
    > by Matsushita. Meanwhile, thankfully, I have discovered an
    > alternate way to burn DVD-Rs that do support the full 127
    > character file names off UDF-102, which is plenty since I limit
    > mine to 115.
    >
    > --
    > ATM, aka Jerry

    You`ve resolved your Roxio,Nero conflict then J. ?.
    bw..OJ
    old jon, Nov 5, 2005
  5. Today old jon spoke these views with conviction for
    everyone's edification:

    >>> And your burner is a what?

    >> What possible difference does that make? It isn't the
    >> burner that creates the file system that goes on the disc,
    >> but the software. But, my CD and DVD burner are by Lite
    >> On, manufactured by Matsushita. Meanwhile, thankfully, I
    >> have discovered an alternate way to burn DVD-Rs that do
    >> support the full 127 character file names off UDF-102,
    >> which is plenty since I limit mine to 115.
    >>
    >> --
    >> ATM, aka Jerry
    >>

    > You`ve resolved your Roxio,Nero conflict then J. ?.
    > bw..OJ

    Not exactly. I *eliminated* the "conflict" by uninstalling
    both and running JV16 to clean the thousands of orphan
    Registry entries, but that did *not* fix my main problem,
    which is Win XP Pro SP2 crashes immediately trying to read
    *any* CD-R that was burned by *any* software on *any* machine,
    written using UDF.

    I went out and bought Roxios' brand new Easy Media Creator 8.
    I can and it does burn both Joliet and UDFF 102 CD-R
    successfully, I just cannot read them on SP2. I *can*
    successfully read the UDF CD-Rs on my old SP1 box and even
    older 98 WE box.

    I also successfully burned several DVD-R, using Joliet with
    UDF 102 extensions. They *do* read correctly on SP2, *exccept*
    that the volume names - which can be 32 characters on anything
    UDF - are still truncated to 15 by SP2.

    So, I've fixed everything I know how to fix, and ran complete
    Ad-Aware, Spy Bot and NAV 2003 (yes, I know lot's of people
    don't like it). *Nothing* bad was found. Still can't get it to
    work. I've googled some more and discovered that there *is* a
    problem with UDF CD-Rs (not DVD-Rs, though) with SP2.
    Microcrap hasn't acknowledged it, but it is clear from
    Googling that lots of folks have this problem, all variations
    on a theme: crashes, truncated volume names, files missing,
    zero length files, blank discs, you name it. Turns out that
    Lite On driver owners experience the most difficulties but
    that might be just because Lite On is one of the most popular
    CD/DVD readers and burners.

    So, still working on it, but I don't even see the light of an
    on-coming train yet, it is still quite dark at the end of the
    tunnel. If you have any ideas for me, please post them here.

    Thanks.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    All Things Mopar, Nov 5, 2005
  6. All Things Mopar

    > Today old jon spoke these views with conviction for
    > everyone's edification:

    >>> What possible difference does that make? It isn't the
    >>> burner that creates the file system that goes on the disc,
    >>> but the software. But, my CD and DVD burner are by Lite
    >>> On, manufactured by Matsushita. Meanwhile, thankfully, I
    >>> have discovered an alternate way to burn DVD-Rs that do
    >>> support the full 127 character file names off UDF-102,
    >>> which is plenty since I limit mine to 115.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> ATM, aka Jerry
    >>>

    >> You`ve resolved your Roxio,Nero conflict then J. ?.
    >> bw..OJ

    > Not exactly. I *eliminated* the "conflict" by uninstalling
    > both and running JV16 to clean the thousands of orphan
    > Registry entries, but that did *not* fix my main problem,
    > which is Win XP Pro SP2 crashes immediately trying to read
    > *any* CD-R that was burned by *any* software on *any* machine,
    > written using UDF.
    >
    > I went out and bought Roxios' brand new Easy Media Creator 8.
    > I can and it does burn both Joliet and UDFF 102 CD-R
    > successfully, I just cannot read them on SP2. I *can*
    > successfully read the UDF CD-Rs on my old SP1 box and even
    > older 98 WE box.
    >
    > I also successfully burned several DVD-R, using Joliet with
    > UDF 102 extensions. They *do* read correctly on SP2, *exccept*
    > that the volume names - which can be 32 characters on anything
    > UDF - are still truncated to 15 by SP2.
    >
    > So, I've fixed everything I know how to fix, and ran complete
    > Ad-Aware, Spy Bot and NAV 2003 (yes, I know lot's of people
    > don't like it). *Nothing* bad was found. Still can't get it to
    > work. I've googled some more and discovered that there *is* a
    > problem with UDF CD-Rs (not DVD-Rs, though) with SP2.
    > Microcrap hasn't acknowledged it, but it is clear from
    > Googling that lots of folks have this problem, all variations
    > on a theme: crashes, truncated volume names, files missing,
    > zero length files, blank discs, you name it. Turns out that
    > Lite On driver owners experience the most difficulties but
    > that might be just because Lite On is one of the most popular
    > CD/DVD readers and burners.
    >
    > So, still working on it, but I don't even see the light of an
    > on-coming train yet, it is still quite dark at the end of the
    > tunnel. If you have any ideas for me, please post them here.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > ATM, aka Jerry

    I`m Hunting my guts out here on your behalf J. Just found this bit:
    "If you still have access the computer that you used to create the CD {or
    one
    with a compatible burner application}, you could open the CD on that
    computer and then close and use the option to close the CD so that it can be
    read on any computer."
    Desperate times eh ?.
    bw..OJ
    old jon, Nov 5, 2005
  7. Today old jon spoke these views with conviction for
    everyone's edification:
    > I`m Hunting my guts out here on your behalf J. Just found
    > this bit: "If you still have access the computer that you
    > used to create the CD {or one
    > with a compatible burner application}, you could open the
    > CD on that computer and then close and use the option to
    > close the CD so that it can be read on any computer."
    > Desperate times eh ?.

    Thank you old jon. I think we got off on the wrong foot with
    each other, and I apologize for that.

    I, too, am still working away on this. As I said earlier,
    there is a lot of anecdotal evidence on the web that UDF CD-Rs
    are a /big/ problem with SP2, but not SP1 or anything older.

    I've learned from a friend of a friend of a friend, who's a MS
    Certified Engineer in Win XP, who says that one of the reasons
    SP2 is so slow accessing any on-line, removeable, or CD/DVD
    device media is that it is allegedly looking for multi-media
    files as some part of its new security scheme. I've neither
    been able to confirm nor debunk is theory.

    That said, I think my UDF crashes are part of the new security
    system which has a bug in it when it "scans" by UDF CD-R,
    which only have JPEGs on them, and doesn't know what to do
    with it.

    I've verified that all my CD-Rs, the bulk that crash SP2, and
    the few that will read, albeit with thousands of missing
    files, that the CDs are closed and are not multi-session. Nor
    did I ever use Roxio's Direct CD, which I personally is POS.

    The complete dirth of anythin on the MS KB dealing UDF - the
    last article was November, 2003, a year before SP2 - I believe
    is caused by Microcrap trying to find the really big bug they
    created and stomp on it. Next week, after I've exhausted the
    number of "things to look at", is to call my bud Bill's tech
    support, which I can do up to 3 times for free because I have
    a retail license.

    Thanks for the considerable time you're spending to help me.
    If either of us - or any lurkers - find out WTF?!, let's both
    post it for other folks who may be just as flumuxxed as I am.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    All Things Mopar, Nov 5, 2005
  8. All Things Mopar

    > Today old jon spoke these views with conviction for
    > everyone's edification:
    >> I`m Hunting my guts out here on your behalf J. Just found
    >> this bit: "If you still have access the computer that you
    >> used to create the CD {or one
    >> with a compatible burner application}, you could open the
    >> CD on that computer and then close and use the option to
    >> close the CD so that it can be read on any computer."
    >> Desperate times eh ?.

    > Thank you old jon. I think we got off on the wrong foot with
    > each other, and I apologize for that.
    >
    > I, too, am still working away on this. As I said earlier,
    > there is a lot of anecdotal evidence on the web that UDF CD-Rs
    > are a /big/ problem with SP2, but not SP1 or anything older.
    >
    > I've learned from a friend of a friend of a friend, who's a MS
    > Certified Engineer in Win XP, who says that one of the reasons
    > SP2 is so slow accessing any on-line, removeable, or CD/DVD
    > device media is that it is allegedly looking for multi-media
    > files as some part of its new security scheme. I've neither
    > been able to confirm nor debunk is theory.
    >
    > That said, I think my UDF crashes are part of the new security
    > system which has a bug in it when it "scans" by UDF CD-R,
    > which only have JPEGs on them, and doesn't know what to do
    > with it.
    >
    > I've verified that all my CD-Rs, the bulk that crash SP2, and
    > the few that will read, albeit with thousands of missing
    > files, that the CDs are closed and are not multi-session. Nor
    > did I ever use Roxio's Direct CD, which I personally is POS.
    >
    > The complete dirth of anythin on the MS KB dealing UDF - the
    > last article was November, 2003, a year before SP2 - I believe
    > is caused by Microcrap trying to find the really big bug they
    > created and stomp on it. Next week, after I've exhausted the
    > number of "things to look at", is to call my bud Bill's tech
    > support, which I can do up to 3 times for free because I have
    > a retail license.
    >
    > Thanks for the considerable time you're spending to help me.
    > If either of us - or any lurkers - find out WTF?!, let's both
    > post it for other folks who may be just as flumuxxed as I am.
    >
    > --
    > ATM, aka Jerry

    Till later all the best..OJ
    old jon, Nov 5, 2005