    recognize the sign in and password you are forced to create.

    Clearly I would not recommend anyone purchase this product if you are in the
    market for CD/DVD authoring software.
    bmoag, Sep 16, 2004

  2. bmoag

    bmoag Guest

    Well, I found out what the problem is but I don't know if it is XP or Roxio
    that has caused corruption in the basic way XP sees the drives. The CDRW and
    DVDRW drives on this computer are both atapi but are seen under device
    manager as SCSI drives. Hence burns are initiated but generally do not
    complete because of miscommunication with the device: the program is looking
    for a scsi drive but only finds atapi (transient warning boxes flash this
    info about miscommunication with a scsi drive). For some reason burn at once
    CDRs usually work but nothing with packet writing or partial sessions.

    Unfortunately deleting the drives under device manager and rebooting does
    not solve the problem because WinXP again sees the drives as SCSI rather
    than atapi.I have checked on the three other machins around here with CD or
    DVD burners and all list their burners correctly as atapi under device
    manager.

    Short of reformatting and reinstalling WinXP, and again begging an
    outsourced support tech in India for an activation key for my completely
    valid used only on this machine ever copy of XP, is there a solution?
    bmoag, Sep 16, 2004

  3. bmoag

    Thor Guest

    "bmoag" <> wrote in message

    > Well, I found out what the problem is but I don't know if it is XP or

    Roxio
    > that has caused corruption in the basic way XP sees the drives. The CDRW

    and
    > DVDRW drives on this computer are both atapi but are seen under device
    > manager as SCSI drives. Hence burns are initiated but generally do not
    > complete because of miscommunication with the device: the program is

    looking
    > for a scsi drive but only finds atapi (transient warning boxes flash this
    > info about miscommunication with a scsi drive). For some reason burn at

    once
    > CDRs usually work but nothing with packet writing or partial sessions.
    >
    > Unfortunately deleting the drives under device manager and rebooting does
    > not solve the problem because WinXP again sees the drives as SCSI rather
    > than atapi.I have checked on the three other machins around here with CD

    or
    > DVD burners and all list their burners correctly as atapi under device
    > manager.
    >
    > Short of reformatting and reinstalling WinXP, and again begging an
    > outsourced support tech in India for an activation key for my completely
    > valid used only on this machine ever copy of XP, is there a solution?

    try updating the motherboard chipset drivers. Additionally, you should
    really use CDRW discs for packet writing. At the very least, if the disc
    gets corrupted, a simple full erase will set it back to rights again.

    Thor, Sep 16, 2004
  4. bmoag

    bmoag Guest

    You were on the right track.

    Actually I had to uninstall the Nvidia IDE controller, The standard XP IDE
    controller drivers identify the CD and DVD recorders correctly as ATAPI
    drives. Curiously on a motherboard from another manufacturer using the
    NVidia same chipset drivers ATAPI cd/dvd devices are correct;y identified.
    bmoag, Sep 17, 2004