    does layer 3 stuff similar to MSFC on the 6xxx models?

    Thanks,
    Angels
    Angela Spiro, Nov 8, 2003

  2. Angela Spiro

    Jeff C Guest

    (Angela Spiro) wrote in
    news::

    > Hi,
    >
    > I read up on the 3750 Cat switches and can't figure out some issues.
    >
    > Docs mention that some software feature sets let you do EIGRP, OSPF
    > etc.. on these switches. Do they have a routing module inside that
    > does layer 3 stuff similar to MSFC on the 6xxx models?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Angels

    No, I suspect that they have a feature set that enables routing like the
    3550. I think on the 3550 SMI (standard multilayer image) you can do some
    routing including RIP but need to EMI (enhanced) to run EIGRP, OSPF.

    Good Luck,
    -jc
    Jeff C, Nov 8, 2003

  3. In article <>,
    Angela Spiro <> wrote:
    :I read up on the 3750 Cat switches and can't figure out some issues.

    :Docs mention that some software feature sets let you do EIGRP, OSPF
    :etc.. on these switches. Do they have a routing module inside that
    :does layer 3 stuff similar to MSFC on the 6xxx models?

    No, not exactly. The 2950, 3550, and 3750 are all multilayer
    switches. With the EI image (not available on all 2950 or 3550),
    they do Layer 3 Switching. In other words, the 3750 and some
    of the 2950 and 3550 route in hardware.

    This isn't really very similar to the MSFC because there is no extra
    module involved, and it is not done as an additional layer with one
    level of hardware giving instructions to another level as to how to
    handle packets. And it isn't really all that similar to how the 7200
    series handles distributed switching either. Not in architecture anyhow.

    But if you were just using MSFC as a generic example of routing, then
    Yes, the 3750 does in fact do routing, but the facility is integrated
    right in, not in a separate module.
    --
    Take care in opening this message: My grasp on reality may have shaken
    loose during transmission!
    Walter Roberson, Nov 8, 2003
  4. Angela Spiro

    Steinar Haug Guest

    [Walter Roberson]

    | No, not exactly. The 2950, 3550, and 3750 are all multilayer
    | switches. With the EI image (not available on all 2950 or 3550),
    | they do Layer 3 Switching. In other words, the 3750 and some
    | of the 2950 and 3550 route in hardware.

    Um, *all* of the 3550 do routing in hardware. The difference is in
    other features like OSPF, BGP and HSRP, which is not available in
    the SMI version.

    Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting,
    Steinar Haug, Nov 8, 2003
  5. On 8 Nov 2003 08:23:36 GMT, -cnrc.gc.ca (Walter
    Roberson) wrote:

    >No, not exactly. The 2950, 3550, and 3750 are all multilayer
    >switches. With the EI image (not available on all 2950 or 3550),
    >they do Layer 3 Switching. In other words, the 3750 and some
    >of the 2950 and 3550 route in hardware.

    Which 2950s are able to route packets?

    -Terry
    Terry Baranski, Nov 8, 2003
  6. In article <>,
    :Roberson) wrote:

    :>No, not exactly. The 2950, 3550, and 3750 are all multilayer
    :>switches. With the EI image (not available on all 2950 or 3550),
    :>they do Layer 3 Switching. In other words, the 3750 and some
    :>of the 2950 and 3550 route in hardware.

    :Which 2950s are able to route packets?

    Good question. Checking again, I see that the C2950's that
    have the EI image are able to do some multilevel work, but do
    not appear to do IP routing.

    Sorry, it's hard to keep the models straight sometimes.
    --
    Tenser, said the Tensor.
    Tenser, said the Tensor.
    Walter Roberson, Nov 9, 2003
  7. Angela Spiro

    jtors Guest

    [:Which 2950s are able to route packets?]

    - none

    Most of the posts are confusing or partially or completly incorrect
    Break it down to Layer 2 or Layer 3 - 7 (routing). Access
    Distribution, & Core layers.

    2950's - L2 (access layer)EI Enhanced Image meaning QoS, Etc. Enhance
    features in Image. Sometimes the 3550-48 port SMI used here.

    3550 - L3 (distribution) EMI has more routing capabilities. Typicall
    NO PCs attached to this switch,

    4506 L3 - L7 (Core)
    6509 L3- 7 (Core

    jtor