    No problem with IP, but how i can route SNA ?

    Many thanks,

    Olivier
    Olivier Reymond, Oct 20, 2003

  2. Olivier Reymond

    Ivan Ostres Guest

    "Olivier Reymond" <> wrote in message
    news:3f93ceac$...
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I have two routers (3620 with IOS 12.2(17a) and 2650 with IOS 12.2(13)T5)

    on
    > a dedicated line.
    >
    > I want to route both IP and SNA for use beetween two IBM AS/400.
    >
    > No problem with IP, but how i can route SNA ?

    You can't because SNA does not have an explicit network address. You can
    bridge it while still routing IP. The best way, IMHO would be to use DLSw+
    so SNA would go "over" IP and you have to deal with just IP. Also, if
    network has a lot of traffic and small bandwidth, consider some QoS because
    your session's will have timeout problems (personal expirience, thanks for
    asking).

    Ivan
    Ivan Ostres, Oct 20, 2003

  3. Olivier Reymond

    Brad Hill Guest

    > You can't because SNA does not have an explicit network address. You can
    > bridge it while still routing IP. The best way, IMHO would be to use DLSw+
    > so SNA would go "over" IP and you have to deal with just IP. Also, if
    > network has a lot of traffic and small bandwidth, consider some QoS because
    > your session's will have timeout problems (personal expirience, thanks for
    > asking).

    OK so call me a nitpicker, but SNA is in fact routable, and does have
    network addresses. It's just that it's not supported on Cisco IOS, you
    can't route it on IOS, and so we have to bridge it.

    SNA Path Control Layer is perfectly routable, and uses Subarea/Element
    instead of Subnet/Host.

    SNA Rules!!
    Brad Hill, Oct 21, 2003
  4. Olivier Reymond

    Ivan Ostres Guest

    "Brad Hill" <> wrote in message

    > > You can't because SNA does not have an explicit network address. You can
    > > bridge it while still routing IP. The best way, IMHO would be to use

    DLSw+
    > > so SNA would go "over" IP and you have to deal with just IP. Also, if
    > > network has a lot of traffic and small bandwidth, consider some QoS

    because
    > > your session's will have timeout problems (personal expirience, thanks

    for
    > > asking).

    > OK so call me a nitpicker, but SNA is in fact routable, and does have
    > network addresses. It's just that it's not supported on Cisco IOS, you
    > can't route it on IOS, and so we have to bridge it.
    >
    > SNA Path Control Layer is perfectly routable, and uses Subarea/Element
    > instead of Subnet/Host.
    >
    > SNA Rules!!

    hehehe, I knew that I'll hurt some SNA guy feelings :). Sorry....

    Ivan
    Ivan Ostres, Oct 21, 2003
  5. Olivier Reymond

    Hugo Drax Guest

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I have two routers (3620 with IOS 12.2(17a) and 2650 with IOS 12.2(13)T5)

    on
    > a dedicated line.
    >
    > I want to route both IP and SNA for use beetween two IBM AS/400.
    >
    > No problem with IP, but how i can route SNA ?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Olivier

    DLSW+
    Hugo Drax, Oct 25, 2003