Routing configuration in the network

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Benson, Nov 22, 2004.

  1. Benson

    Benson Guest

    hi,

    I have a networking environment:

    1. a WAN link used to route traffic to internet, and
    2. a IPLC is routed to the HQ
    3. my network is using the LAN subnet = 172.168.27.x
    4. the HQ is using the LAN subnet = 172.168.28.x

    Questions:
    1. How can I define the traffic to the HQ, and to the Internet ?
    2. How can I configure the layer 3 device so that the traffic goes the
    right direction ( if the traffic goes to 172.168.28.x.x, it will go
    to HQ...)

    3. for another case, I set up a site-to-site VPN between my site to HQ
    through the WAN Link ( which means two ways can be accessed to HQ )
    How can I manage the network traffic:
    i. Traffic to HQ will use the IPLC by default.
    ii. When the IPLC is unavailable, the VPN is used alternatively
    iii. all other traffic will route to the Internet

    Thank you very much
    Benson
    Benson, Nov 22, 2004

  2. Benson

    Bob Goddard Guest

    Benson wrote:

    > hi,
    >
    > I have a networking environment:
    >
    > 1. a WAN link used to route traffic to internet, and
    > 2. a IPLC is routed to the HQ
    > 3. my network is using the LAN subnet = 172.168.27.x
    > 4. the HQ is using the LAN subnet = 172.168.28.x
    >
    > Questions:
    > 1. How can I define the traffic to the HQ, and to the Internet ?
    > 2. How can I configure the layer 3 device so that the traffic goes the
    > right direction ( if the traffic goes to 172.168.28.x.x, it will go
    > to HQ...)
    >
    > 3. for another case, I set up a site-to-site VPN between my site to HQ
    > through the WAN Link ( which means two ways can be accessed to HQ )
    > How can I manage the network traffic:
    > i. Traffic to HQ will use the IPLC by default.
    > ii. When the IPLC is unavailable, the VPN is used alternatively
    > iii. all other traffic will route to the Internet

    Answer to all questions, employ a network consultant.
    Bob Goddard, Nov 22, 2004

  3. Benson

    Erik Freitag Guest

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:00:33 +0000, Bob Goddard wrote:

    > Benson wrote:
    >
    >> hi,
    >>
    >> I have a networking environment:
    >>
    >> 1. a WAN link used to route traffic to internet, and
    >> 2. a IPLC is routed to the HQ
    >> 3. my network is using the LAN subnet = 172.168.27.x
    >> 4. the HQ is using the LAN subnet = 172.168.28.x
    >>
    >> Questions:
    >> 1. How can I define the traffic to the HQ, and to the Internet ?
    >> 2. How can I configure the layer 3 device so that the traffic goes the
    >> right direction ( if the traffic goes to 172.168.28.x.x, it will go
    >> to HQ...)
    >>
    >> 3. for another case, I set up a site-to-site VPN between my site to HQ
    >> through the WAN Link ( which means two ways can be accessed to HQ )
    >> How can I manage the network traffic:
    >> i. Traffic to HQ will use the IPLC by default.
    >> ii. When the IPLC is unavailable, the VPN is used alternatively
    >> iii. all other traffic will route to the Internet

    > Answer to all questions, employ a network consultant.

    Why do that, when you can get so much good and bad advice for free on
    usenet?

    You might have better luck with your question if you could provide more
    details. For instance:

    - You appear to have two sites in your network. What kind of equipment do
    you have at each site, and what firmware versions are running?

    - Your address space (172.168.27.0/23) seems to belong to AOL. Is that
    correct? RFC1918 space beginning with 172 ranges from 172.16.0.0 through
    172.31.255.255.

    - Please show your current configuration, absent passwords if you prefer.

    - Please explain what you mean by "How can I define the traffic to the
    HQ". Do you mean "How can I route traffic from my network to the HQ"?
    Confusing if so, since you say you already have a site-to-site VPN between
    the two sites, and that requires proper routing.

    - What layer 3 device is referred to in Question 2?

    - Please explain the difference between your WAN link and the IPLC, and
    describe ALL of your links (again, a current working configuration file
    would be helpful).
    Erik Freitag, Nov 22, 2004
  4. Benson

    Niche Guest

    Bob Goddard <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Benson wrote:
    >
    > > hi,
    > >
    > > I have a networking environment:
    > >
    > > 1. a WAN link used to route traffic to internet, and
    > > 2. a IPLC is routed to the HQ
    > > 3. my network is using the LAN subnet = 172.168.27.x
    > > 4. the HQ is using the LAN subnet = 172.168.28.x
    > >
    > > Questions:
    > > 1. How can I define the traffic to the HQ, and to the Internet ?
    > > 2. How can I configure the layer 3 device so that the traffic goes the
    > > right direction ( if the traffic goes to 172.168.28.x.x, it will go
    > > to HQ...)
    > >
    > > 3. for another case, I set up a site-to-site VPN between my site to HQ
    > > through the WAN Link ( which means two ways can be accessed to HQ )
    > > How can I manage the network traffic:
    > > i. Traffic to HQ will use the IPLC by default.
    > > ii. When the IPLC is unavailable, the VPN is used alternatively
    > > iii. all other traffic will route to the Internet

    > Answer to all questions, employ a network consultant.

    That's a nice one, hehe..
    Niche, Nov 23, 2004