    My reason for doing this is simple, to allow distant family to be closer to
    the action.
    Ivan
    Ivan, Apr 20, 2004

  2. Ivan

    Ivan Guest

    I'm sorry, I thought I was in "uk.rec.video.digital". This is probably not
    the best NG to ask that question.
    Ivan

    Ivan, Apr 20, 2004

  3. Ivan

    Ian Stirling Guest

    Ivan <> wrote:
    > I have coaxial cable running all through the house. I can make any
    > combination of connections I want. Is it possible to have a camera (in my
    > case a vhs cam) connected to my capture device via the coaxial cable in my
    > house?
    > My reason for doing this is simple, to allow distant family to be closer to
    > the action.

    Yes, just connect the connectors, it should just work.
    Add UHF modulators, and you can even do multiple cameras.
    Ian Stirling, Apr 20, 2004
  4. "Ivan" <> writes:
    >I have coaxial cable running all through the house. I can make any
    >combination of connections I want. Is it possible to have a camera (in my
    >case a vhs cam) connected to my capture device via the coaxial cable in my
    >house?

    The coaxial cable you have is probably 75 ohm TV RF cabling. If you
    connect a RF modulator to your camera and a TV set to the other end,
    this should work fine over any reasonable distance. You can also run
    the signal through a conventional splitter and feed several TV sets.

    You might *also* be able to connect a camera composite output directly
    to the cable without the modulator, and connect the far end to the video
    in jack of the TV instead of the antenna jack. That will work over
    short distances, but may have problems with long distances. (Some TV
    coax is not intended for baseband video; the centre conductor is
    copper-plated steel rather than solid or stranded copper). You also
    can't use a standard splitter, though you could use a multi-output video
    amplifier.

    In the case of a computer video digitizer, the first paragraph above
    applies if it has a tuner input, and the second if it has a direct
    video input. Just replace "TV" with "digitizer".

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Apr 20, 2004