    Thanks,
    Chris

    , May 5, 2006

  2. chris Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi, Just like to ask what is probably a simple question to answer yet I
    > am stumped since I was told that I am wearing the hat of network
    > assistant for the next two weeks...
    >
    > I have two subnets, one is at 10.15.133.0 and the other is at
    > 128.145.99.0
    >
    > I have been asked to connected both subnets together in order to assist
    > with a data transfer from several workstations
    >
    > On each subnet lies a cisco router. On the 10.X is a cisco 2610 at
    > 10.15.133.1 and on the 128.X subnet is a Cisco 2501 at 128.145.99.1
    >
    > So the question is how do I the subnets to communicate back and forth?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Chris

    And how is the 2610 connected to the 2501?

    chris, May 5, 2006

  3. BLACKCRACK Guest

    Ethernet 0 on the 2501 and Ethernet 0/0 on the 2610 via unmanaged
    10/100 switch.
    Thanks!

    BLACKCRACK, May 5, 2006
  4. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >I have two subnets, one is at 10.15.133.0 and the other is at
    >128.145.99.0

    >I have been asked to connected both subnets together in order to assist
    >with a data transfer from several workstations

    >On each subnet lies a cisco router. On the 10.X is a cisco 2610 at
    >10.15.133.1 and on the 128.X subnet is a Cisco 2501 at 128.145.99.1

    >So the question is how do I the subnets to communicate back and forth?

    On *one* of the two routers, add a subinterface with an IP address
    in the other IP space. (I suggest doing that on the 2610 as the
    2501 usually has older IOS.) If you are running routing protocols
    (e.g., RIP) configure those appropriately; otherwise on the -other-
    router, configure a static route to the other network via the
    IP address that you configured on the first router. Then connect
    the two routers together and let the packets fly.

    There is a temptation to add this kind of routing on to both
    routers, but if you do that then unless you are quite careful
    you can run into problems with all VLAN traffic starting to be
    broadcast to all member ports instead of being switched.

    Walter Roberson, May 5, 2006
  5. BLACKCRACK Guest

    Thanks a bunch!! Will try and advise!

    BLACKCRACK, May 5, 2006