    I was told that a 1600 could be configured
    to route between the 10BaseT and the AUI
    ports. Can anyone verify that this is true?
    Jim Stewart, Jun 28, 2004

  2. Jim Stewart

    JustMe Guest

    Jim Stewart wrote:

    > I was told that a 1600 could be configured
    > to route between the 10BaseT and the AUI
    > ports. Can anyone verify that this is true?

    false
    JustMe, Jun 28, 2004

  3. Jim Stewart

    ktmg Guest

    I dont agree. My college configured it as a backup link. Its without
    security but if you treat it as a serial port its possible.

    ktmg, Jun 28, 2004
  4. Jim Stewart

    Neil Cherry Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 14:06:26 +0200, ktmg wrote:
    > I dont agree. My college configured it as a backup link. Its without
    > security but if you treat it as a serial port its possible.

    It is not possible to route between the 10BaseT port and the AUI port.
    Both ports are connected to 1 chip. You use one or the other.
    Therefor no routing.

    I think you are confusing the AUX port with the AUI port. The AUX port
    is a serial port (despite the RJ45 jack). The AUI port is a 15 pin
    port for a media converter (AUI - RJ45, Fiber or Coax).

    --
    Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry
    http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)
    Neil Cherry, Jun 28, 2004
  5. Jim Stewart

    JustMe Guest

    ktmg wrote:

    > I dont agree. My college configured it as a backup link. Its without
    > security but if you treat it as a serial port its possible.

    I'd be curious to see the config. What about posting it ?

    JustMe, Jun 28, 2004
  6. Neil Cherry wrote:

    > On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 14:06:26 +0200, ktmg wrote:
    >> I dont agree. My college configured it as a backup link. Its without
    >> security but if you treat it as a serial port its possible.

    > It is not possible to route between the 10BaseT port and the AUI port.
    > Both ports are connected to 1 chip. You use one or the other.
    > Therefor no routing.
    >
    > I think you are confusing the AUX port with the AUI port. The AUX port
    > is a serial port (despite the RJ45 jack). The AUI port is a 15 pin
    > port for a media converter (AUI - RJ45, Fiber or Coax).

    There is no Aux port on a 1600.

    There are two possibilities here:

    1) Somebody has a 1601 and sees the HD60 and thinks it's an AUI port - that
    would fit with the "Treat it as a serial port"

    2) Somebody has a 1605 and they are genuinely routing between an AUI port
    and an RJ45, given that the 1605 is a dual ethernet router and indeed has
    this capability.

    P.
    Paul S. Brown, Jun 28, 2004
  7. Jim Stewart

    Neil Cherry Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:37:23 +0100, Paul S. Brown wrote:
    > Neil Cherry wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 14:06:26 +0200, ktmg wrote:
    >>> I dont agree. My college configured it as a backup link. Its without
    >>> security but if you treat it as a serial port its possible.

    >> It is not possible to route between the 10BaseT port and the AUI port.
    >> Both ports are connected to 1 chip. You use one or the other.
    >> Therefor no routing.
    >>
    >> I think you are confusing the AUX port with the AUI port. The AUX port
    >> is a serial port (despite the RJ45 jack). The AUI port is a 15 pin
    >> port for a media converter (AUI - RJ45, Fiber or Coax).
    >>

    > There is no Aux port on a 1600.
    >
    > There are two possibilities here:
    >
    > 1) Somebody has a 1601 and sees the HD60 and thinks it's an AUI port - that
    > would fit with the "Treat it as a serial port"
    >
    > 2) Somebody has a 1605 and they are genuinely routing between an AUI port
    > and an RJ45, given that the 1605 is a dual ethernet router and indeed has
    > this capability.

    Oops, sorry about that I forgot about the 1605. I couldn't find a
    picture of the 1600's so it was hard to remember what was on the
    back. I'm more familiar with the older routers (CGS - 2500's) and the
    1721 on up to the 7200's.

    Neil Cherry, Jun 28, 2004
  8. Jim Stewart

    Hansang Bae Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I was told that a 1600 could be configured
    > to route between the 10BaseT and the AUI
    > ports. Can anyone verify that this is true?

    AUI and RJ45 are the same interfaces. You can use secondary addresses
    however to route between two IP subnets on the same physical network.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Jun 29, 2004
  9. Jim Stewart

    Jim Stewart Guest

    Hansang Bae wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >>I was told that a 1600 could be configured
    >>to route between the 10BaseT and the AUI
    >>ports. Can anyone verify that this is true?

    > AUI and RJ45 are the same interfaces. You can use secondary addresses
    > however to route between two IP subnets on the same physical network.

    Thanks. I was sold a bill of goods. Anyone
    need a 1600 with a T1 blade?
    Jim Stewart, Jun 29, 2004
  10. Jim Stewart

    Bob Goddard Guest

    Jim Stewart wrote:

    > Hansang Bae wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...
    >>
    >>>I was told that a 1600 could be configured
    >>>to route between the 10BaseT and the AUI
    >>>ports. Can anyone verify that this is true?

    >> AUI and RJ45 are the same interfaces. You can use secondary
    >> addresses however to route between two IP subnets on the same
    >> physical network.
    >>

    > Thanks. I was sold a bill of goods. Anyone
    > need a 1600 with a T1 blade?

    There is no such thing as a Cisco 1600 router. There is a Cisco
    1600 /Series/ which consisted of the 1601, 1602, 1603, 1604, 1605
    and their R varients.

    Bob Goddard, Jun 29, 2004
  11. Jim Stewart

    Jim Stewart Guest

    Bob Goddard wrote:

    > Jim Stewart wrote:
    >

    >>Hansang Bae wrote:
    >>

    >>>In article <>,
    >>>says...

    >>>AUI and RJ45 are the same interfaces. You can use secondary
    >>>addresses however to route between two IP subnets on the same
    >>>physical network.
    >>>

    >>Thanks. I was sold a bill of goods. Anyone
    >>need a 1600 with a T1 blade?

    > There is no such thing as a Cisco 1600 router. There is a Cisco
    > 1600 /Series/ which consisted of the 1601, 1602, 1603, 1604, 1605
    > and their R varients.

    My mistake, 1601. I just read the silkscreen
    on the top.
    Jim Stewart, Jun 29, 2004