    Do I need to run some routing protocol down the VPN to send a second subnet
    the right way ?

    Gary

    Gary, Nov 24, 2003

  2. In article <fghwb.14120$yM6.6995@lakeread06>,
    Gary <> wrote:
    :We have a VPN up between 2 end points and need to route a second subnet.

    :Do I need to run some routing protocol down the VPN to send a second subnet
    :the right way ?

    Probably not. Likely at most you need to use a 'route' statement.
    --
    Can a statement be self-referential without knowing it?

    Walter Roberson, Nov 25, 2003

  3. Gary

    Networkguy Guest

    1. We have a VPN up between 2 end points and need to route a second subnet.

    If you are running a true VRF with a Service Provider, then your local
    endpoint (CE router), is is only significantly attached to your directly
    assigned endpoint(PE router), at each entry point into the Service Provider
    cloud. If you are currently running a routing protocol like OSPF, IS-IS,
    then that network will be carried from your local VRF instance, across the
    cloud.

    2. Do I need to run some routing protocol down the VPN to send a second
    subnet the right way ?

    Remember the VPN is transparent across the "cloud", and depending on the
    route descriptor, and route target import/export that you have setup with
    your provider.
    Just keep in mind that if you are running OSPF between you (CE router), and
    the Service Provider (PE router), that the Service Provider will more than
    likely be running OSPF area 0 in their "core". Thus all non area 0 routes
    being received on the far end will appear as inter-area, IA routes. If you
    have more than 1 entry/exit point to your network on either end, you may
    need to consider having the Service Provider set up a "sham-link". If this
    is not an issue, you should be able to add the route statements on your VPN
    on one side, and receive the routes on the far end.

    Networkguy, Nov 25, 2003