Routes lost in BGP after interface went down.

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Joris1919, Feb 26, 2005.

  1. Joris1919

    Joris1919 Guest

    Hi,
    we have a bit strange problem here. Probably it's no problem at all. A
    router on a certain site in the world was moved to another building.
    The router has 2 links. 1 Wan link to the core network and 1 LAN link
    to the local network. When the router was reconnected on it's WAN
    interface the line came up but the Loopback and the ethernet ip
    addresses (advertised in ospf) were not redistributed in BGP on the WAN
    link. The BGP neighborship was however established. As soon as a switch
    was connected to the ethernet interface and therefore has the status
    "up up" the redistribution is reestablished. This is not very logic to
    me especially because the Loopback interface is always up. When the
    switch was unconnected the loopback and ethernet ip addresses were
    unreachable at once... After reconnecting again everything worked fine.
    It seems if ospf redistribution in bgp is only working when the
    ethernet interface is up.
    Does anyone has a logical explanation for this?
    Thanks i.a.
    Joris

    Joris1919, Feb 26, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    "Joris1919" <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    > we have a bit strange problem here. Probably it's no problem at all. A
    > router on a certain site in the world was moved to another building.
    > The router has 2 links. 1 Wan link to the core network and 1 LAN link
    > to the local network. When the router was reconnected on it's WAN
    > interface the line came up but the Loopback and the ethernet ip
    > addresses (advertised in ospf) were not redistributed in BGP on the WAN
    > link. The BGP neighborship was however established. As soon as a switch
    > was connected to the ethernet interface and therefore has the status
    > "up up" the redistribution is reestablished. This is not very logic to
    > me especially because the Loopback interface is always up. When the
    > switch was unconnected the loopback and ethernet ip addresses were
    > unreachable at once... After reconnecting again everything worked fine.
    > It seems if ospf redistribution in bgp is only working when the
    > ethernet interface is up.
    > Does anyone has a logical explanation for this?

    It's correct for the ethernet IP to be withdrawn, but not normal for the
    loopback. Post your config.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA