    Lyncsys.sorry about the spelling. What determines which one will work. We
    looked last weekend and there are too many on the shelf.
    Jeff

    McWideGlide, Feb 12, 2005

  2. McWideGlide

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "McWideGlide" <> wrote in message
    news:3fePd.6338$...
    | My son has xbox. He plays online. we wish to purchase a router so the
    | computer and his xbox can be on at the same time. Our system is a Windows
    98
    | Dell DimensionV400. He bought a 30 foot cable that he uses and we do not
    | have any need for a wireless. We can route the wire under the house for a
    | permanent wiring to eliminate the wire across the floor.He mentioned
    | Lyncsys.sorry about the spelling. What determines which one will work. We
    | looked last weekend and there are too many on the shelf.
    | Jeff

    Earthlink? Dialup? Sorry...not a good pick.

    BUT if you have broadband via cable or DSL, then *any* router that has
    cable/DSL WAN input and enough LAN ports would do. Linksys, D-Link, dozens
    of others...even the cheap no-name stuff...all do the same thing...brand
    names mean very little unless you happen to get a defective piece of
    equipment. Then the brand name boxes may be easier to get warranty
    service/replacements for. But if you buy locally, the dealer should stand
    behind whatever brand you get. In fact, our local Walmart are selling these
    things now. If it doesn't work, they don't even ask...they just take it
    back.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 12, 2005

  3. McWideGlide appears, somewhat unbelievably, to have opined:
    > My son has xbox. He plays online. we wish to purchase a router so the
    > computer and his xbox can be on at the same time. Our system is a Windows 98
    > Dell DimensionV400. He bought a 30 foot cable that he uses and we do not
    > have any need for a wireless. We can route the wire under the house for a
    > permanent wiring to eliminate the wire across the floor.He mentioned
    > Lyncsys.sorry about the spelling. What determines which one will work. We
    > looked last weekend and there are too many on the shelf.
    > Jeff

    Linksys is fine. All major brands (Netgear, Belkin, and more)will work
    just fine. You need to have a Network Interface Card in your computer.
    If it's Win 98, you may not have one. They are cheap and easy to
    install. Buy by price they are fairly generic these days.

    --
    I sent ten puns to all my friends hoping that at least one
    would make them laugh.

    Dennis Turner, Feb 12, 2005