    router have over a wireless one? I would think that price (less
    expensive) would be one, but that doesn't seem to be the case. So can
    anyone please tell us? It'll be appreciated - thanks.

    Trash Fish, Mar 13, 2007

  2. Trash Fish

    John A Guest

    "Trash Fish" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I apologize (sorry) if this is a bad question here in any way(s) at
    > all, but for sharing a high-speed cable connection to the Internet
    > among at least 2 computers, what, if any, advantages would a wired
    > router have over a wireless one? I would think that price (less
    > expensive) would be one, but that doesn't seem to be the case. So can
    > anyone please tell us? It'll be appreciated - thanks.

    Wired kit is definitely cheaper. The router is cheaper, plus most PCs come
    with an Ethernet connection, but a Wireless adapter will cost you about half
    a router's cost again for each PC. Against that is the material cost of the
    (relatively cheap) Ethernet cables AND the cost and disturbance of routing
    the cabling.

    Wired is more secure. I can tap into my neighbour's wireless network - but
    that is their fault for not using any form of wireless security /
    encryption.

    Wireless is more expandable. My router supports up to 4 wired and over 250
    wireless connections.

    Wired can be upset by the use of other RF equipment on the premises. Yes, I
    have said that the right way around! Strapping lots of equipment together
    with wires means that any RF energy about is picked up in serious quantity
    and can play hell with the router.

    You decide.

    John A

    John A, Mar 13, 2007

  3. Trash Fish

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    John A wrote:

    <snipped>

    > Wireless is more expandable. My router supports up to 4 wired and over 250
    > wireless connections.

    That's not correct it doesn't make any difference for an all wired or
    wire/wireless router as to the number of connections wired or wireless
    that any router will support, which is up to 255.

    If you plug a standalone hub or switch into the four LAN ports on the
    router and daisy chain multiple hubs and switches together, one can
    expand the wire side of the router to 255 network devices connected to it.

    So, the wire/wireless router will support a combination of wire and
    wireless connections up to 255 and an all wire router will do the same
    for the 255 network connections.

    Mr. Arnold, Mar 13, 2007
  4. Trash Fish

    John A Guest

    "Mr. Arnold" <"Mr. Arnold"@Arnold.COM> wrote in message
    > John A wrote:
    >
    > <snipped>
    >

    > > Wireless is more expandable. My router supports up to 4 wired and over

    250
    > > wireless connections.

    > That's not correct <snip>

    It is quite correct. The OP asked about a router. My response is about a
    router. Your response isn't.

    John A, Mar 13, 2007
  5. Trash Fish

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Trash Fish wrote:
    > I apologize (sorry) if this is a bad question here in any way(s) at
    > all, but for sharing a high-speed cable connection to the Internet
    > among at least 2 computers, what, if any, advantages would a wired
    > router have over a wireless one? I would think that price (less
    > expensive) would be one, but that doesn't seem to be the case. So can
    > anyone please tell us? It'll be appreciated - thanks.

    Well, what you should get IMHO is a packet filtering FW router that is
    all wire. A packet filtering FW router is a better security measure for
    the LAN that has more features to protect the LAN from the Internet.

    You should get a packet filtering FW router that meets the
    specifications in the link for *What does a FW do?*

    http://www.vicomsoft.com/knowledge/reference/firewalls1.html

    You should get a FW router that does logging where you can use something
    like Wallwatcher to watch for dubious connections from your network.

    <http://www.ghacks.net/2005/11/14/wallwatcher-firewall-and-router-analyzer/>
    <http://sonic.net/wallwatcher/>

    For the wireless if you decide to use wireless, then you might want to
    look at a standalone wireless access point (WAP) device and plug it into
    a LAN port on the all wire FW router.

    A standalone WAP device allows the wire and wireless computers to use
    the router as one network with the router being the gateway to the WAN -
    Wide Area Network/Internet and LAN/Local Area Network.

    You should be aware of the wireless security.

    http://netsecurity.about.com/cs/wireless/a/aa112203_2.htm

    Keep in mind that the security measures of the wireless on a standalone
    WAP device or a wire/wireless AP router will keep out the average Job
    Blow trying to hack the wireless.

    However, if someone with some expertise and savvy wants to come after
    the network on the wireless, it can be done.

    There are wire/wireless AP routers that are packet filtering FW routers
    that will meet the specs for a FW in the link above, but most will not
    meet the specs.

    Mr. Arnold, Mar 13, 2007
  6. Trash Fish

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    John A wrote:
    > "Mr. Arnold" <"Mr. Arnold"@Arnold.COM> wrote in message
    >
    >>John A wrote:
    >>
    >><snipped>
    >>
    >>>Wireless is more expandable. My router supports up to 4 wired and over

    > 250
    >
    >>>wireless connections.

    >>That's not correct <snip>

    > It is quite correct. The OP asked about a router. My response is about a
    > router. Your response isn't.

    The router supports 255 connections wired for an all wire router, 255 on
    the wire side of a wire/wireless AP router, 255 on the wireless side of
    the wire/wireless AP router and a combination of 255 wire and wireless
    connections together on the wire/wireless AP router.

    It's not four because there are four LAN ports on the wire/wireless AP
    router and 250 on the wireless side, as you have indicated. It's any
    combination of the two, wired or wireless, that can make up the 255.

    A router is a router and what you have stated above makes no sense.

    Mr. Arnold, Mar 13, 2007
  7. Trash Fish

    Paul Guest

    Trash Fish wrote:
    > I apologize (sorry) if this is a bad question here in any way(s) at
    > all, but for sharing a high-speed cable connection to the Internet
    > among at least 2 computers, what, if any, advantages would a wired
    > router have over a wireless one? I would think that price (less
    > expensive) would be one, but that doesn't seem to be the case. So can
    > anyone please tell us? It'll be appreciated - thanks.

    Wireless is intended for portability (like walking about your
    living room while carrying a laptop).

    But wireless is also subject to propagation conditions, and
    thruput is subject to the whims of the wireless Gods. For a
    person living in an apartment building, surrounded by four
    neighbours using Wireless N, you might get very poor performance.
    If you were an "all you can eat" downloader, I'd at least
    want to wire the downloader machine directly to the router.
    For machines needing casual connectivity (web surfing), a
    wireless connection might be OK.

    Personally, I use nothing but wired routers in my house, as
    the performance is predictable from day to day. And I don't
    mind running wires to get the job done.

    Wired routers also have fewer (not zero) security issues to
    worry about, like just how exposed a wireless network is
    to access from outside. All routers need careful attention
    to their settings, and the wired ones simply have fewer
    setup screens.

    My last wired router was about $39 or so, and it works great.

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 14, 2007