    it up?

    TIA,

    Rick
    Richard Wright, Jun 21, 2004

  2. Richard Wright

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Set your wireless router to act only as an access point (disable DHCP) , and
    connect it to a port on your wired router.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Jun 21, 2004

  3. Richard Wright

    Papa Guest

    Hello Richard:

    Why even have 2 networks at all? If you really do not need two separate
    networks, simply replace your present SMC router with a wireless router
    containing wired ports. Then remove the wireless router (possibly use it to
    replace the SMC router if it includes wired ports) and let your two wireless
    PCs inside your home communicate with the wireless router inside your
    garage. It will also save you money if you have signed up for 2 ISP
    accounts, because only one account will be needed.

    If you decide to purchase a new wireless router that includes wired ports,
    consider buying one that also includes a print server. That way, all of your
    PCs (wired and wireless) will have independent access to a printer connected
    to the print server, no matter whether any of the other PCs are on or not.
    One such router is the D-Link DI-714P+, but there are other manufacturers
    with the same features.

    I have a similar setup. My router is in my concrete-walled basement, yet I
    have very good signal strength on my wireless laptop - even when I am on the
    second floor of my house and behind closed doors, or in my backyard.

    Excellent information on the subject is available at
    www.practicallynetworked.com.

    Hope this helps.

    By the way, using a real email address in newsgroup posts invites spam mail.

    Papa, Jun 21, 2004
  4. Richard Wright

    hawk Guest

    Both previous suggestions would work. (I think you need a cross-over
    cable to connect the wireless router to the SMC router.) I made a
    similar network with an SMC7004ABR (I think it is ABR.) The wireless
    router was connected via a cross-over cable. This assumes that your
    wireless clients in the house are close enough to get a good signal.
    My SMC router has a print server built in, the VBR may also have a
    parallel port for a printer. But, that is all that port will do, just
    simple printing. No other printer functions will be available.

    You could acomplish what you want with purchase of just a cross-over
    cable.

    hawk

    hawk, Jun 21, 2004
  5. Richard Wright