Routers, L3 Switches and VLANs

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Jo Knight, Jan 18, 2004.

  1. Jo Knight

    Jo Knight Guest

    Hi,

    I wonder if some people could help. I would like to put together a solution
    for the following scenario:

    I have a need to create a LAN that will consist of 5 subnets initially, but
    this will grow in the future. Each subnet will have approx. 50 hosts and be
    fully routable amongst the other subnets.

    I would like to configure VLANs on the switches and route between them using
    either a VLAN cabable router or a layer 3 switch. Id also like to apply ACLs
    between the subnets, and possibly features such as NBAR.

    I have the following hardware in mind for this task, but am not 100% sure on
    the feature sets or the many different models that Cisco offer, so any
    advice is appreciated.

    Option 1: Router on a stick
    2621XM Router IP Plus Feature Set
    2950 Catalyst Switches (Will the basic model suffice)

    Option 2: Layer 3 Switch
    3550 Switch
    2950 Catalyst Switches

    Cost is a slight issue, but I am just lookign for ideas as to how people
    would implement a setup like this, so I can price it all up.

    Many thanks,
    Jo
    Jo Knight, Jan 18, 2004

  2. Jo Knight

    Jo Knight Guest

    > I would like to configure VLANs on the switches and route between them
    using
    > either a VLAN cabable router or a layer 3 switch. Id also like to apply

    ACLs
    > between the subnets, and possibly features such as NBAR.

    One thing I forgot to mention, Id like to have port security on the switches
    limiting access by MAC address.
    Jo Knight, Jan 18, 2004

  3. Jo Knight

    Jeroen Guest

    I think you can use a cataylist 3550 with SMI software

    Jeroen
    The Netherlands

    Jeroen, Jan 20, 2004