    I've been told that no wireless routers have s/ware for XP64 - correct
    or?
    , Nov 2, 2006

  2. jabloomf1230 Guest

    My Belkin wireless router works fine with x64 as did my previous Linksys
    wireless router. Routers generally don't need an OS driver and all
    access to their settings is from a HTML interface (Internet Explorer or
    Firefox).

    jabloomf1230, Nov 2, 2006

  3. Linksys WRT54G v4 working Ok here, both Windows and Vista x64.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Nov 3, 2006
  4. wrote:
    > I've been told that no wireless routers have s/ware for XP64 - correct
    > or?

    Well, since a router is completely independent of the OS on any
    machines on the network, I guess one could say that it's true.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Nov 3, 2006
  5. Routers don't give a hoot about the OS. That's the whole reason for using
    them - they're completely platform independent. So while the statement is
    technically correct, it's totally meaningless. Most consumer grade wireless
    routers use a web page to configure them.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 3, 2006
  6. Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 22:47:05 +0000, wrote:

    >I've been told that no wireless routers have s/ware for XP64 - correct
    >or?

    You don't need software for x64 to manage the router. This is usually done
    via a web-interface on the router itself. Maybe you are talking about the
    lack of WPA2 in x64?

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, Nov 3, 2006
  7. DP Guest

    "Jud Hendrix" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 22:47:05 +0000, wrote:
    >
    > Maybe you are talking about the
    > lack of WPA2 in x64?

    My router is attached to a machine using 32-bit XP machine. My x64 machine
    connects wirelessly to that router. Under the list of networks, my x64
    machine refers to my network as "Security-enabled wireless network (WPA)."
    Does that conflict with what you are saying, Jud? I'm pretty much clueless
    when it comes to networking, so I'm asking, not challenging, you.
    DP, Nov 3, 2006
  8. DP Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I've been told that no wireless routers have s/ware for XP64 - correct
    > or?

    As other responders have already told you, that's not true.

    Now, where things may get a little complicated is if you try to connect your
    X64 to that network using a wireless network adapter. Those things require
    drivers and you may have to do some searching for 64-bit drivers for those
    adapters.
    Getting my USB wireless network adapter to work in x64 was probably the
    hardest part of my transition to this OS. It also was complicated when
    trying Vista RC1, but at least my earlier experience with x64 made this a
    little easier.
    DP, Nov 3, 2006
  9. Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 03:04:47 -0600, "DP" <> wrote:

    >My router is attached to a machine using 32-bit XP machine. My x64 machine
    >connects wirelessly to that router. Under the list of networks, my x64
    >machine refers to my network as "Security-enabled wireless network (WPA)."
    >Does that conflict with what you are saying, Jud? I'm pretty much clueless
    >when it comes to networking, so I'm asking, not challenging, you.

    WPA2 is improved WPA, and as far as I know, that is still not in XP64.

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, Nov 3, 2006
  10. DP Guest

    > On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 03:04:47 -0600, "DP" <> wrote:
    >
    >>My router is attached to a machine using 32-bit XP machine. My x64 machine
    >>connects wirelessly to that router. Under the list of networks, my x64
    >>machine refers to my network as "Security-enabled wireless network (WPA)."
    >>Does that conflict with what you are saying, Jud? I'm pretty much
    >>clueless
    >>when it comes to networking, so I'm asking, not challenging, you.

    > WPA2 is improved WPA, and as far as I know, that is still not in XP64.

    Sorry. I missed the --2-- in your post.
    Never mind.
    DP, Nov 3, 2006
  11. Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 03:23:51 -0600, "DP" <> wrote:

    >Never mind.

    Don't worry. The end of the week is neigh! :)

    Jud Hendrix, Nov 3, 2006
  12. * :

    > I've been told that no wireless routers have s/ware for XP64 - correct
    > or?

    Nonsense. Operating systems don't need software/drivers for routers.
    Routers work over the standardized TCP/IP protocol stack which is also
    there in XP x64.

    What you need, though, are drivers for the wireless network adapter that
    connects your computer to the wireless router.

    Benjamin
    Benjamin Gawert, Nov 3, 2006
  13. Theo Guest

    You would only need software if you were connecting to the
    router via a USB cable, however I don't think I have seen a
    wireless router with such a connection. Connecting to any
    router via an ethernet cable requires absolutely no router
    software. As far as I know any router will work with any
    operating system that has a browser to access the router
    interface & configuration.

    Theo, Nov 3, 2006