    gateway and apply.
    Its feeding PCs running 98 2k XP and Debian, sweet as !
    Disclaimer- I'm just a customer.

    harry, Nov 18, 2003

  2. harry

    XPD Guest

    "harry" <> wrote in message
    news:M7yub.8163$...
    > For those of you with Saturn cable or similar who would like to share your
    > connection independent of your PC, Dick Smiths are now offering an own

    brand
    > broadband router for $129

    Got a catalouge number/model number for those who maybe interested ? :)

    XPD, Nov 19, 2003

  3. harry

    Andrew Guest

    I use something very similar
    http://www.surecom-net.com/news-4504ax.htm

    works quite well, Im presuming its pretty much the same as your lil unit -
    Very handy as i dont require the server being on for the rest of the network
    to be able to acces the net

    "harry" <> wrote in message
    > For those of you with Saturn cable or similar who would like to share your
    > connection independent of your PC, Dick Smiths are now offering an own

    brand
    > broadband router for $129
    > I have just bought one to replace my trusty old LRP floppy based Pentium,
    > and its excellent.
    > Its the size of an 8 port switch, its got http admin of pinholing, DHCP
    > client and server, VPN, USB printserver and a four port switch.
    > The setup was really easy, turn everything off, put it in, turn everything
    > on, let the PCs DHCP then open a browser at 192.168.0.1 and enter the ISP

    IP

    Andrew, Nov 19, 2003
  4. harry

    harry Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in message

    > "harry" <> wrote in message
    > > For those of you with Saturn cable or similar who would like to share

    your
    > > connection independent of your PC, Dick Smiths are now offering an own

    > brand
    > > broadband router for $129

    > Got a catalouge number/model number for those who maybe interested ? :)

    XH1151

    harry, Nov 19, 2003
  5. harry

    harry Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    > I use something very similar
    > http://www.surecom-net.com/news-4504ax.htm
    >
    > works quite well, Im presuming its pretty much the same as your lil unit -
    > Very handy as i dont require the server being on for the rest of the

    network
    > to be able to acces the net

    Its the same unit I think, just branded by DSE

    harry, Nov 19, 2003
  6. harry

    harry Guest

    wrote:
    > >The setup was really easy, turn everything off, put it in, turn

    everything
    > >on, let the PCs DHCP then open a browser at 192.168.0.1 and enter the ISP

    IP
    > >gateway and apply.

    > Check that the router's http (and telnet if it has it) configuration

    manager
    > isn't visible from the "outside". Get a friend to ping / browse / telnet

    > your IP address (the one given you by Paradise) and see if he sees

    anything.
    > Alternatively, you can use the port scan at:
    > https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
    > to see if ports 80 (and maybe 23) are open. If you set the router up
    > properly, there should be no sign of life at your address.

    "Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single
    packet - solicited or otherwise - was received from your system as a result
    of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to
    repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing
    probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some
    questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to
    "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system
    wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice."

    But it does have the option of external admin.

    harry, Nov 19, 2003
  7. harry

    Ralph Mason Guest

    "harry" <> wrote in message
    > For those of you with Saturn cable or similar who would like to share your
    > connection independent of your PC, Dick Smiths are now offering an own

    brand
    > broadband router for $129
    > I have just bought one to replace my trusty old LRP floppy based Pentium,
    > and its excellent.
    > Its the size of an 8 port switch, its got http admin of pinholing, DHCP
    > client and server, VPN, USB printserver and a four port switch.
    > The setup was really easy, turn everything off, put it in, turn everything
    > on, let the PCs DHCP then open a browser at 192.168.0.1 and enter the ISP

    IP
    > gateway and apply.
    > Its feeding PCs running 98 2k XP and Debian, sweet as !
    > Disclaimer- I'm just a customer.

    For about $200 you can get the same with 802.11g, which sounds like much
    better value to me.

    Ralph

    Ralph Mason, Nov 19, 2003
  8. harry

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <M7yub.8163$>, "harry" <> wrote:
    >The setup was really easy, turn everything off, put it in, turn everything
    >on, let the PCs DHCP then open a browser at 192.168.0.1 and enter the ISP IP
    >gateway and apply.

    Check that the router's http (and telnet if it has it) configuration manager
    isn't visible from the "outside". Get a friend to ping / browse / telnet to
    your IP address (the one given you by Paradise) and see if he sees anything.
    Alternatively, you can use the port scan at:
    https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
    to see if ports 80 (and maybe 23) are open. If you set the router up
    properly, there should be no sign of life at your address.

    "I don't use Linux. I prefer to use an OS supported by a large multi-
    national vendor, with a good office suite, excellent network/internet
    software and decent hardware support."

    Don Hills, Nov 19, 2003
  9. harry

    harry Guest

    "Ralph Mason" <> wrote
    in message news:pKzub.2488$...
    > "harry" <> wrote in message
    > > For those of you with Saturn cable or similar who would like to share

    your
    > > connection independent of your PC, Dick Smiths are now offering an own

    > brand
    > > broadband router for $129
    > > I have just bought one to replace my trusty old LRP floppy based

    Pentium,
    > > and its excellent.
    > > Its the size of an 8 port switch, its got http admin of pinholing, DHCP
    > > client and server, VPN, USB printserver and a four port switch.
    > > The setup was really easy, turn everything off, put it in, turn

    everything
    > > on, let the PCs DHCP then open a browser at 192.168.0.1 and enter the

    ISP
    > IP
    > > gateway and apply.
    > > Its feeding PCs running 98 2k XP and Debian, sweet as !
    > > Disclaimer- I'm just a customer.

    > For about $200 you can get the same with 802.11g, which sounds like much
    > better value to me.
    >
    > Ralph

    It is good value too, and I might have bought one if it was available and I
    could try out one from stock, low end units like this inspire scepticism,
    and in this case I have been pleasantly surprised.
    They are not that much cheaper than the Linksys boxes which I have a lot of
    respect for.
    I've previously tried a hardware router from Jaycar and had problems with
    it.
    DSE has a good policy on returns, so I was happy to try it.
    Some of the other vendors on pricespy etc argue and try and make you pay
    "restocking" fees etc so they look good on paper but in practice they are a
    pain in the arse.

    harry, Nov 19, 2003
  10. On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 14:26:34 +1300, "harry" <> wrote:

    >"Andrew" <> wrote in message
    >> I use something very similar
    >> http://www.surecom-net.com/news-4504ax.htm
    >>
    >> works quite well, Im presuming its pretty much the same as your lil unit -
    >> Very handy as i dont require the server being on for the rest of the

    >network
    >> to be able to acces the net

    >Its the same unit I think, just branded by DSE

    And about $18 dearer..

    Gregory Parker, Nov 19, 2003
  11. On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 14:32:07 +1300, "Ralph Mason"
    <> wrote:

    >"harry" <> wrote in message
    >> For those of you with Saturn cable or similar who would like to share your
    >> connection independent of your PC, Dick Smiths are now offering an own

    >brand
    >> broadband router for $129
    >> I have just bought one to replace my trusty old LRP floppy based Pentium,
    >> and its excellent.
    >> Its the size of an 8 port switch, its got http admin of pinholing, DHCP
    >> client and server, VPN, USB printserver and a four port switch.
    >> The setup was really easy, turn everything off, put it in, turn everything
    >> on, let the PCs DHCP then open a browser at 192.168.0.1 and enter the ISP

    >IP
    >> gateway and apply.
    >> Its feeding PCs running 98 2k XP and Debian, sweet as !
    >> Disclaimer- I'm just a customer.

    >For about $200 you can get the same with 802.11g, which sounds like much
    >better value to me.
    >
    >Ralph

    But thats a Wireless one..?

    Gregory Parker, Nov 19, 2003
  12. On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 14:26:34 +1300, "harry" <> wrote:

    >"Andrew" <> wrote in message
    >> I use something very similar
    >> http://www.surecom-net.com/news-4504ax.htm
    >>
    >> works quite well, Im presuming its pretty much the same as your lil unit -
    >> Very handy as i dont require the server being on for the rest of the

    >network
    >> to be able to acces the net

    >Its the same unit I think, just branded by DSE

    Can't be, different size..

    This one looks a lot better and is cheaper.

    http://www.giga-byte.com/Communication/Products/Products_Broadband_GN-BR401.htm

    Gregory Parker, Nov 19, 2003
  13. harry

    AD. Guest