    want to have each one work independently.

    Thanks for any advice.

    Rob
    ROBERT BROOKS, May 6, 2004

  2. ROBERT BROOKS

    Wizard Guest

    Just get a 2 port (probably have to get 4 ports) BB router.

    Wizard, May 6, 2004

  3. ROBERT BROOKS

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "ROBERT BROOKS" <@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I wonder if anyone on this ng can answer the question on whether or not I
    > would be able to connect
    > multiple pc's onto my ntl 150k broadband connection, via a recommended
    > router. What other functions are possible with the use of routers.
    > Currently I have 2 PC's - one is connected to the broadband connection via

    > ntl modem and the other is not. I do not want to network the machines - I
    > want to have each one work independently.

    The NAT router will be the gateway device for the LAN and WAN. Instead of
    you using ICS with a host machine, the NAT router provides the ICS on the
    LAN. It also provides the means to allow any computer connected to it to
    access the WAN (Internet) independently and all machines to share resources
    with each other on the LAN.

    Also, the NAT router provides instant protection from the Internet. The NAT
    router ports are closed by default and the NAT router is a plug it up and go
    device that needs very little or no setup.

    All scans and attacks from the Internet the were being stopped by the O/S
    and FW with the machine directly connected to the Internet, the O/S and the
    FW will not have to suck-up the machine's resources to stop it, because the
    router is a stand alone device that sits in front of the machines knocking
    it down. The machines are free to do more productive things for you instead
    of fending off scans and attacks.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, May 7, 2004