    --
    Thanks,

    Chris.
    Christo, Oct 28, 2004

  2. Christo

    Martin Guest

    Christo wrote:

    > i know using routers to access the net with NAT is like having a firewall
    > (hardware firewall)
    >
    > I am totally unfamiliar with it but if i did have a router lets say the
    > latest linksys adsl router, would i need to have a software firewall on the
    > terminal it was connected to? or would the NAT on the router do the job

    You might like to read the white paper on Watchguard's web site.

    Why a Real Firewall Provides the Best Network Protection

    Many small businesses mistakenly believe that low-end NAT devices with
    or without stateful packet inspection (SPI) functionality provide the
    same network protection as a true firewall. But these devices were not
    built for security and leave networks open to attack. This paper
    explains how NAT devices work, how firewalls are different, and why an
    integrated firewall/VPN solution provides the best network protection
    for small businesses, remote offices, and telecommuters.

    http://www.watchguard.com/infocenter/whitepapers.asp

    A router with NAT is not like having a firewall
    Martin, Oct 28, 2004

  3. Christo

    Christo Guest

    "Martin" <> wrote in message
    > Christo wrote:
    >
    >> i know using routers to access the net with NAT is like having a firewall
    >> (hardware firewall)
    >>
    >> I am totally unfamiliar with it but if i did have a router lets say the
    >> latest linksys adsl router, would i need to have a software firewall on
    >> the terminal it was connected to? or would the NAT on the router do the
    >> job
    >>

    > You might like to read the white paper on Watchguard's web site.
    >
    > Why a Real Firewall Provides the Best Network Protection
    >
    > Many small businesses mistakenly believe that low-end NAT devices with or
    > without stateful packet inspection (SPI) functionality provide the same
    > network protection as a true firewall. But these devices were not built
    > for security and leave networks open to attack. This paper explains how
    > NAT devices work, how firewalls are different, and why an integrated
    > firewall/VPN solution provides the best network protection for small
    > businesses, remote offices, and telecommuters.
    >
    > http://www.watchguard.com/infocenter/whitepapers.asp
    >
    > A router with NAT is not like having a firewall

    so with router that includes NAT i would still be wise to also run ZoneAlarm
    Pro

    this is soley for a home network of 3 PC's and a laptop

    i dont really want to go wireless, as its all wired in now with trunks etc
    and it would be a job taking it out, cosmetically it would involve re
    decorating a few rooms... no way
    Christo, Oct 28, 2004
  4. Christo

    Martin Guest

    Christo wrote:
    > "Martin" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Christo wrote:
    >>

    >>>i know using routers to access the net with NAT is like having a firewall
    >>>(hardware firewall)
    >>>
    >>>I am totally unfamiliar with it but if i did have a router lets say the
    >>>latest linksys adsl router, would i need to have a software firewall on
    >>>the terminal it was connected to? or would the NAT on the router do the
    >>>job
    >>>

    >>You might like to read the white paper on Watchguard's web site.
    >>
    >>Why a Real Firewall Provides the Best Network Protection
    >>
    >>Many small businesses mistakenly believe that low-end NAT devices with or
    >>without stateful packet inspection (SPI) functionality provide the same
    >>network protection as a true firewall. But these devices were not built
    >>for security and leave networks open to attack. This paper explains how
    >>NAT devices work, how firewalls are different, and why an integrated
    >>firewall/VPN solution provides the best network protection for small
    >>businesses, remote offices, and telecommuters.
    >>
    >>http://www.watchguard.com/infocenter/whitepapers.asp
    >>
    >>A router with NAT is not like having a firewall

    > so with router that includes NAT i would still be wise to also run ZoneAlarm
    > Pro

    You'd be wise to run a firewall, not just NAT. Then it comes down to a
    risk assessment as to what threats you're protecting against. I can't
    help you here.

    > this is soley for a home network of 3 PC's and a laptop
    >
    > i dont really want to go wireless, as its all wired in now with trunks etc
    > and it would be a job taking it out, cosmetically it would involve re
    > decorating a few rooms... no way

    Wireless? Where did that come from?

    If you have wired your house you have a great system. Wish my bird would
    let me go and cable mine. I can just see a cabinet and patch panel
    bolted to my living room wall :) I did in my last place which I shared
    with another IT manager, we structure cabled the house and it worked
    great lol Women don't like it for some reason :~
    Martin, Oct 28, 2004