Router

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Stuart M, Feb 22, 2005.

  1. Stuart M

    Stuart M Guest

    I would like to know what (if any) security risks there are in the following
    set up.

    My pc running WinXP pro behind NAT router with firewall running (dos, ping
    of death protection etc). Also, Zone alarm running.

    Router:

    A range of incoming ports forwarded for game server (udp).
    A filter rule blocking all incoming ports and all protocols (dependent on
    further rules)
    A filter rule allowing one ip access to udp ports for game server.
    Ip above set to trused zone in zone alarm. Game set in Zone alarm as trusted
    server only (no internet server)

    A router filter rule allowing one ip access to everything (not always on
    (but would like it to be)). The reason for this rule is that I connect to
    work VPN via PPTP and MS client and the rule blocking all, blocks the VPN
    protocol unfortunately.

    The routers filter doesnt have a GRE protocol option (if I remeber the name
    right?) but when I "block all", it blocks this by default. Im not sure if
    this would work but would I be better leaving this unblocked (i.e. block the
    other protocols individually), rather than allowing one ip access to
    everything (there is no risk from that ip, but concerned about ip spoofing
    which I dont really understand).

    I hope all that makes sense. I am really looking for any advice on the best
    config for this and am interested in learning what security holes I have
    left open.

    Thanks

    Stuart

    Stuart M, Feb 22, 2005