    that option is impossible what router do you recommend (must have
    wireless g) that would allow my full 30Mbps in?
    , Aug 27, 2006

  2. Rick Merrill Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello, I have a Netgear WPN824 (version 1 not 2) wireless G router with
    > rangemax. However my computer gets poor signal for wireless so I have
    > it wired through ethernet. Here is my problem I pay for 30Mbps down and
    > 2Mbps up but when I run speed tests my download tops out between 8-10
    > Mbps. A Direct connection with the computer solves the issue, so the
    > router must be the bottleneck right? Can't be the ethernet cable, or
    > the long distance between router and computer...
    >
    > So how do I get my router to allow my full download bandwidth OR if
    > that option is impossible what router do you recommend (must have
    > wireless g) that would allow my full 30Mbps in?

    Have you checked your NIC (ethernet) speed settings in each
    circumstance? (once in a while the modem may negotiate 100mbps while
    the router negotiates 10mbps)
    Rick Merrill, Aug 28, 2006

  3. Guest

    > Have you checked your NIC (ethernet) speed settings in each
    > circumstance? (once in a while the modem may negotiate 100mbps while
    > the router negotiates 10mbps)

    I don't know how I would go about checking that. And even if I did, can
    I change the settings so that the router also negotiates over 10Mbps?
    , Aug 28, 2006
  4. Rick Merrill Guest

    wrote:
    >>Have you checked your NIC (ethernet) speed settings in each
    >>circumstance? (once in a while the modem may negotiate 100mbps while
    >>the router negotiates 10mbps)

    > I don't know how I would go about checking that. And even if I did, can
    > I change the settings so that the router also negotiates over 10Mbps?

    I tell my NIC to always use 100baseT. (Windows XP SP1, control panel,
    network connections, status)
    Rick Merrill, Aug 28, 2006