    both subnets assigned to the single interface and then route from there.

    Thanks

    Nathan

    Nathan, Jun 24, 2006

  2. "Nathan" <> writes:
    >Is there a router available that has 2 ethernet ports so each port can
    >connect to its own ethernet segment. I suppose similar to RRAS on a
    >miltihomed Windows box, but this would be hardware based.

    Cisco has a ton of them, and most are modular to add a number of
    ports (well at least as many ports as the slots will hold).

    You don't really say how much bandwidth you need, but you imply that
    you really would need 3 ethernet ports. One to come in, two to go out.
    2811 with an HWIC would probably be your lowest end one of the current
    lineup. One that is particularly cheap would be a 7200 with the
    appropriate PA cards.

    >All the routers I see have 1 ethernet port and serial ports.

    Those must be the smallest ones then..

    >We do have a PIX on site and we have used VLANs and PIXs before to kind of
    >route between the 2 subnets but I thought a proper router will do a better
    >job.

    >Or would you just use a low end router with a single ethernet port and have
    >both subnets assigned to the single interface and then route from there.

    Depends on the situation, and the requirements for the solution. I'd
    tend to push for a firewall that has enough output ports in the first
    place, but usually any routers are done for other requirements behind
    a firewall, such as private WAN links back and forth.

    Doug McIntyre, Jun 24, 2006

  3. Doug McIntyre <> writes:
    >"Nathan" <> writes:
    >>Is there a router available that has 2 ethernet ports so each port can
    >>connect to its own ethernet segment. I suppose similar to RRAS on a
    >>miltihomed Windows box, but this would be hardware based.

    >Cisco has a ton of them, and most are modular to add a number of
    >ports (well at least as many ports as the slots will hold).

    >You don't really say how much bandwidth you need, but you imply that
    >you really would need 3 ethernet ports. One to come in, two to go out.
    >2811 with an HWIC would probably be your lowest end one of the current
    >lineup. One that is particularly cheap would be a 7200 with the
    >appropriate PA cards.

    That was supposed to be particularly cheap used... Generally 7200 new
    aren't exactly cheap.

    Doug McIntyre, Jun 24, 2006
  4. www.BradReese.Com, Jun 24, 2006
  5. Nathan

    BernieM Guest

    "Nathan" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there a router available that has 2 ethernet ports so each port can
    > connect to its own ethernet segment. I suppose similar to RRAS on a
    > miltihomed Windows box, but this would be hardware based.
    >
    > All the routers I see have 1 ethernet port and serial ports.
    >
    > We do have a PIX on site and we have used VLANs and PIXs before to kind of
    > route between the 2 subnets but I thought a proper router will do a better
    > job.
    >
    > Or would you just use a low end router with a single ethernet port and
    > have both subnets assigned to the single interface and then route from
    > there.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Nathan

    You can fill all available slots of a router with multiport Ethernet modules
    if want to. Of course you have to be conscious of the routers packets per
    second (PPS) switching capabilities.

    We've just commissioned our first BSDL service which the Telco presents as
    an Ethernet interface so there's an example of us needing to use an
    Ethernet-to-Ethernet router right there.

    BernieM

    BernieM, Jun 24, 2006
  6. Nathan

    Guest

    > "Nathan" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Is there a router available that has 2 ethernet ports so each port can
    > > connect to its own ethernet segment. I suppose similar to RRAS on a
    > > miltihomed Windows box, but this would be hardware based.
    > >
    > > All the routers I see have 1 ethernet port and serial ports.

    You can get a router with anywhere from 1 to over 1000
    ethernet ports.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps4835/products_data_sheet0900aecd8017376e.html
    "Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series 10/100BASE-TX modules scale from 16 ports
    up to 1152 ports"
    Such a device might cost say 150k USD.

    It is not usual to configure such a device as a 1000 port router
    and I am not in fact sure that you can give them all seperate
    addersses each on their own network/subnet but my guess
    would be that you could indeed do so.

    A while back a Cisco router was limited to 255 virtual
    + physical interfaces but IIRC that limit was removed
    some years ago.

    , Jun 24, 2006