    can anyone tell me how do i know when should i get a router with integrated firewall features vs getting a normal firewall, eg Cisco Pix or ASA for my network?
    is it based on how big is a network? if the router already has integrated firewall capabilities why bother to buy a firewall appliance?
    thanks

    edniagara, Sep 11, 2009

  2. edniagara

    MarkSatterfield

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    Messages:
    77
    Location:
    Central Florida
    Load balancing is one reason -- that is, the size of the network.

    You might consider it like one would consider a home stereo system. An integrated amp/radio/cdplayer/dvd/whatever may provide an adequate solution, but is not as configurable as separate components.

    In the same way, a standalone router and standalone firewall allows significant physical layout enhancements, while an integrated unit is going to be more limited in configurations.

    Best,
    --Mark

    http://www.marksatterfield.com

    Last edited: Jan 31, 2010