router vs firewall?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by ALEXB, Jun 6, 2005.

  1. ALEXB

    ALEXB Guest

    I just got an upgrade for my cable broadband with a static IP address from
    Comcast. Belatedly I found out that they turn the firewall of their router
    off once your got a static. I do have a ZoneAlarm which seems to be doing a
    good job but people in
    the know do recommend a hardware firewall installed too. I called Comcast
    and they recommended not to assign the static IP address to the computer but
    instead to a router which will be put in between the modem and the machine.
    I have had such configurations before. A few months ago I got rid of three
    Linksys and Dlink routers I accumulated over the years since I thought that
    I would never need them again once I got a professional broadband with
    modem/router built in. Now I am facing a few choices.

    I can buy another Linksys router but in the past I came to mistrust them
    badly.

    I can buy a brand new Cisco, perhaps 3800 series but they are quite
    expensive and offer much more than I need in terms of LAN capabilities.

    I do have two workstations with Win2K at two different locations with two
    computers at each one. I am using DELL Gigabit switches for the LANs. I have
    some peripherals and I am planning to set up VPN and I need a full
    capability VoIP solution. I want a remote management too. I do use Vonage
    telephones (VoIP) at both locations.

    I can purchase an old Cisco at eBay, perhaps 2600 series but they are
    outdated, frequently lack documentation and do not offer modern
    capabilities.

    I feel that I should not spend more than $600-800.

    I am thinking of purchasing a Cisco firewall as a stand alone product. They
    run in a few hundred dollars. One option is a Cisco PIX 506E Firewall used.
    Any other suggestions?

    My question is: will a Cisco firewall work with a non-Cisco modem (Comcast)?
    What will be disadvantages of using it?

    Thanks.

    ALEXB, Jun 6, 2005

  2. ALEXB wrote:
    > I just got an upgrade for my cable broadband with a static IP address from
    > Comcast. Belatedly I found out that they turn the firewall of their router
    > off once your got a static. I do have a ZoneAlarm which seems to be doing a
    > good job but people in
    > the know do recommend a hardware firewall installed too. I called Comcast
    > and they recommended not to assign the static IP address to the computer but
    > instead to a router which will be put in between the modem and the machine.
    > I have had such configurations before. A few months ago I got rid of three
    > Linksys and Dlink routers I accumulated over the years since I thought that
    > I would never need them again once I got a professional broadband with
    > modem/router built in. Now I am facing a few choices.
    >
    > I can buy another Linksys router but in the past I came to mistrust them
    > badly.
    >
    > I can buy a brand new Cisco, perhaps 3800 series but they are quite
    > expensive and offer much more than I need in terms of LAN capabilities.

    Extreme overkill.

    > I do have two workstations with Win2K at two different locations with two
    > computers at each one. I am using DELL Gigabit switches for the LANs. I have
    > some peripherals and I am planning to set up VPN and I need a full
    > capability VoIP solution. I want a remote management too. I do use Vonage
    > telephones (VoIP) at both locations.
    >
    > I can purchase an old Cisco at eBay, perhaps 2600 series but they are
    > outdated, frequently lack documentation and do not offer modern
    > capabilities.

    What makes you say that?. The 2600 series (provided they have enough
    ram and flash) can run the latest IOSes.

    Also, all docs for all models of routers and all releases of IOS going
    back 20 years is available for free on www.cisco.com

    > I feel that I should not spend more than $600-800.
    >
    > I am thinking of purchasing a Cisco firewall as a stand alone product. They
    > run in a few hundred dollars. One option is a Cisco PIX 506E Firewall used.
    > Any other suggestions?
    >
    > My question is: will a Cisco firewall work with a non-Cisco modem (Comcast)?

    Of course.

    > What will be disadvantages of using it?

    Compared to what?

    Depending on what you want to do with it, setting up your firewall could
    be as easy as plugging it in and letting the default rules work, or
    spending hours configuring VPNs and ACLs.

    --
    Francois Labreque | The surest sign of the existence of extra-
    flabreque | terrestrial intelligence is that they never

    Francois Labreque, Jun 6, 2005

  3. ALEXB

    ALEXB Guest

    "Francois Labreque" <> wrote in message
    > ALEXB wrote:
    > > I just got an upgrade for my cable broadband with a static IP address

    from
    > > Comcast. Belatedly I found out that they turn the firewall of their

    router
    > > off once your got a static. I do have a ZoneAlarm which seems to be

    doing a
    > > good job but people in
    > > the know do recommend a hardware firewall installed too. I called

    Comcast
    > > and they recommended not to assign the static IP address to the computer

    but
    > > instead to a router which will be put in between the modem and the

    machine.
    > > I have had such configurations before. A few months ago I got rid of

    three
    > > Linksys and Dlink routers I accumulated over the years since I thought

    that
    > > I would never need them again once I got a professional broadband with
    > > modem/router built in. Now I am facing a few choices.
    > >
    > > I can buy another Linksys router but in the past I came to mistrust them
    > > badly.
    > >
    > > I can buy a brand new Cisco, perhaps 3800 series but they are quite
    > > expensive and offer much more than I need in terms of LAN capabilities.
    > >

    > Extreme overkill.
    >
    > > I do have two workstations with Win2K at two different locations with

    two
    > > computers at each one. I am using DELL Gigabit switches for the LANs. I

    have
    > > some peripherals and I am planning to set up VPN and I need a full
    > > capability VoIP solution. I want a remote management too. I do use

    Vonage
    > > telephones (VoIP) at both locations.
    > >
    > > I can purchase an old Cisco at eBay, perhaps 2600 series but they are
    > > outdated, frequently lack documentation and do not offer modern
    > > capabilities.

    > What makes you say that?. The 2600 series (provided they have enough
    > ram and flash) can run the latest IOSes.
    >
    > Also, all docs for all models of routers and all releases of IOS going
    > back 20 years is available for free on www.cisco.com

    What does it mean that the product has reached the end of life status? Does
    it mean that if I want to get a new license I won't be able to do it?

    > > I feel that I should not spend more than $600-800.
    > >
    > > I am thinking of purchasing a Cisco firewall as a stand alone product.

    They
    > > run in a few hundred dollars. One option is a Cisco PIX 506E Firewall

    used.
    > > Any other suggestions?
    > >
    > > My question is: will a Cisco firewall work with a non-Cisco modem

    (Comcast)?

    > Of course.

    Thanks. It is very helpful

    > > What will be disadvantages of using it?

    > Compared to what?
    >
    > Depending on what you want to do with it, setting up your firewall could
    > be as easy as plugging it in and letting the default rules work, or
    > spending hours configuring VPNs and ACLs.
    >
    > --
    > Francois Labreque | The surest sign of the existence of extra-
    > flabreque | terrestrial intelligence is that they never
    > @ | bothered to come down here and visit us!

    I really like that. It is very cute.

    ALEXB, Jun 6, 2005
  4. In article <bYVoe.61805$>,
    Francois Labreque <> wrote:
    :Also, all docs for all models of routers and all releases of IOS going
    :back 20 years is available for free on www.cisco.com

    I don't seem to find any documentation on anything before IOS 11.0 .
    We were trying to figure out awhile back when exactly it was that
    the software started being called "IOS", but we couldn't find the
    older documentation to check.
    --
    Look out, there are llamas!

    Walter Roberson, Jun 6, 2005
  5. ALEXB

    stephen Guest

    > In article <bYVoe.61805$>,
    > Francois Labreque <> wrote:
    > :Also, all docs for all models of routers and all releases of IOS going
    > :back 20 years is available for free on www.cisco.com
    >
    > I don't seem to find any documentation on anything before IOS 11.0 .
    > We were trying to figure out awhile back when exactly it was that
    > the software started being called "IOS", but we couldn't find the
    > older documentation to check.

    2600s came out in 11.x or so, so no problem there.

    the 2600xm version are still being made by Cisco, but some early boxes such
    as 2610 / 2611 have limited memroy capacity to support recent IOS loads.

    --
    Regards

    stephen, Jun 6, 2005
  6. ALEXB

    stephen Guest

    "ALEXB" <> wrote in message
    > I just got an upgrade for my cable broadband with a static IP address from
    > Comcast. Belatedly I found out that they turn the firewall of their router
    > off once your got a static. I do have a ZoneAlarm which seems to be doing

    > good job but people in
    > the know do recommend a hardware firewall installed too. I called Comcast
    > and they recommended not to assign the static IP address to the computer

    but
    > instead to a router which will be put in between the modem and the

    machine.
    > I have had such configurations before. A few months ago I got rid of three
    > Linksys and Dlink routers I accumulated over the years since I thought

    that
    > I would never need them again once I got a professional broadband with
    > modem/router built in. Now I am facing a few choices.
    >
    > I can buy another Linksys router but in the past I came to mistrust them
    > badly.
    >
    > I can buy a brand new Cisco, perhaps 3800 series but they are quite
    > expensive and offer much more than I need in terms of LAN capabilities.

    3800 can run a couple 100 Mbps links at 100% load, so is probably a bit over
    the top.

    > I do have two workstations with Win2K at two different locations with two
    > computers at each one. I am using DELL Gigabit switches for the LANs. I

    have
    > some peripherals and I am planning to set up VPN and I need a full
    > capability VoIP solution. I want a remote management too. I do use Vonage
    > telephones (VoIP) at both locations.
    >
    > I can purchase an old Cisco at eBay, perhaps 2600 series but they are
    > outdated, frequently lack documentation and do not offer modern
    > capabilities.

    2600XMs are still being made.

    docs are online and free (as pointed out by someone else)

    > I feel that I should not spend more than $600-800.

    have a look at some of the 180x / 181x routers - they start around $1000
    list.
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5853/index.html

    Miercom did a test of the 1812 and show 50 Mbps throughput in a similar
    situation to yours
    http://www.miercom.com/

    --
    Regards

    stephen, Jun 6, 2005
  7. Walter Roberson wrote:
    > In article <bYVoe.61805$>,
    > Francois Labreque <> wrote:
    > :Also, all docs for all models of routers and all releases of IOS going
    > :back 20 years is available for free on www.cisco.com
    >
    > I don't seem to find any documentation on anything before IOS 11.0 .
    > We were trying to figure out awhile back when exactly it was that
    > the software started being called "IOS", but we couldn't find the
    > older documentation to check.

    Knowing the file structure on CCO, I was able to dig this:

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/

    Where it seems to be called "IOS" at the 10.0 mark, but according to
    this old security advisory it was called IOS as far back as 9.1.

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/770/ioslogin-pub.shtml

    So I was off by a few years... :(

    Francois Labreque, Jun 8, 2005
  8. Walter Roberson, Jun 8, 2005