    this job? It looks like phone plugs would fit the holes.

    Thank you in advance.

    , Jun 6, 2004

  2. PC Guest

    <> wrote in message news:c9tslj$lka$...
    > I do software beta testing for a number of products and have need for a
    > phone line to each system to test modem software. With 10 modems all
    > daisychained together, the resulting phone line noise drops my connection
    > speed considerably.
    >
    > Since only one system will be online at any given time, I need a device
    > that would connect all 10 lines to one phone line and be switchable
    > either automatically or manually (like a switchbox). Would a router do
    > this job? It looks like phone plugs would fit the holes.
    >
    > Thank you in advance.

    Sorry completely different.

    First the sockets are 'similar' but not the same, different number of
    contacts.

    Second the 'Protocol' on a Router is 'Ethernet' (10/100/1000 Mbit/s
    depending on your pocket) It works by switching the 'logical' signal between
    ports depending on what IP addresses are plugged into each port. A dose of
    40/50 volts from the phone line would just 'fry' it.

    If you are handy with a soldering Iron just build yourself a switch using a
    10 way 2 pole rotary switch (plus sockets, wire and box)

    Alternatively just unplug the 'unused' modems!

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Jun 6, 2004

  3. Howdy!

    <> wrote in message news:c9tslj$lka$...
    > I do software beta testing for a number of products and have need for a
    > phone line to each system to test modem software. With 10 modems all
    > daisychained together, the resulting phone line noise drops my connection
    > speed considerably.
    >
    > Since only one system will be online at any given time, I need a device
    > that would connect all 10 lines to one phone line and be switchable
    > either automatically or manually (like a switchbox). Would a router do
    > this job? It looks like phone plugs would fit the holes.

    Google for "Standard Telephone Key System".

    They make adapters to use standard telephones, faxes, modems et al
    as if you were on a "key system".

    Or you could use a 10 way switch box ...

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jun 6, 2004