Router Troubles :(

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Joe Boland, Dec 24, 2004.

  1. Joe Boland

    Joe Boland Guest

    Hey guys,

    I'm currently running a home network with 3 PC's and my X-Box...the
    problem is that the router will restart at random intervals, which is
    extremely annoying if I'm in the middle of a game, a large download, or
    a TS (or CS ;))session.

    I've gone over my config time and time again, and I've even tried
    resetting my router to factory defaults, but to no avail. I tried
    calling D-Link, and the furthest I got there was talking to some guy who
    kept telling me to ping localhost as every second troubleshooting step.

    I've looked through message boards online, through their wonderful
    knowledge (or lack of) base, and have found nothing.

    When I connect a single PC (or even two with ICS), there's no
    interruption to my connection or anything...nor does there seem to be
    any problem connecting to other computers with interruption if the
    router isn't connected to the internet.

    It's a D-Link DI-614+, if that helps any.

    Thanks in advance,

    Joe

    Joe Boland, Dec 24, 2004

  2. Joe Boland

    Kurt Guest

    This will happen if there is an IP address conflict (especially if there is
    another unit with the same address as the router). What happens is when the
    arp cache expires, you arp for the ip address. whichever unit replys first
    is the winner until next time. Do an ipconfig on all of your computers and
    make sure all three (and the router) have a unique address.

    Kurt, Dec 24, 2004

  3. Joe Boland

    Joe Boland Guest

    Well, I'm very meticulous about setting my addresses differently. My
    computer is 0.2, my brother's is 0.3, my mom's is 0.4, my aunt's is 0.5,
    and my X-Box is 0.10...

    Joe Boland, Dec 25, 2004
  4. Joe Boland

    DarkWind Guest