    provider ihug gave poor advice. I'm fairly new to networking. Has anyone
    encountered this problem before?
    Joy

    Joy, Apr 9, 2005

  2. Joy

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    Joy wrote:
    > I'ts a puzzle.
    > I added a new pc (problem one which had been setup for a different kind of
    > network) to a home network which consists of a rta770 dynalink router and a
    > basic switch box. The network went down with a thump. After working
    > through many ideas to get it up and running, the only thing that works is
    > by-passing the switch box. Thinking that the switch box was the problem, we
    > used another switch box but the same thing happened which was that the
    > router would only allow one pc access to the internet. So, at the moment,
    > we've used all four spaces on the router with no extra capacity that we can
    > plug in. During the course of identifying the problem, we shut down and
    > reset the router twice. PB technology tech help was great but the internet
    > provider ihug gave poor advice. I'm fairly new to networking. Has anyone
    > encountered this problem before?
    > Joy

    Possibly an address clash?. Each computer needs a unique IP address. Either
    assign addresses by hand or let the router do it automatically. Maybe the new
    computer thinks that it is the gateway to the internet?. Sometimes the windows
    TCP/IP stack throws a wobbly for no particular reason and needs to be
    reinstalled. Go to the network services control panel icon and uninstall and
    then re-install networking protocols. You only need Microsoft networking (so
    that network neighbourhood will work) and TCP/IP for internet.

    Roger_Nickel, Apr 10, 2005

  3. Joy

    Joy Guest

    "Roger_Nickel" <> wrote in message
    > Joy wrote:
    >> I'ts a puzzle.
    >> I added a new pc (problem one which had been setup for a different kind
    >> of network) to a home network which consists of a rta770 dynalink router
    >> and a basic switch box. The network went down with a thump. After
    >> working through many ideas to get it up and running, the only thing that
    >> works is by-passing the switch box. Thinking that the switch box was the
    >> problem, we used another switch box but the same thing happened which was
    >> that the router would only allow one pc access to the internet. So, at
    >> the moment, we've used all four spaces on the router with no extra
    >> capacity that we can plug in. During the course of identifying the
    >> problem, we shut down and reset the router twice. PB technology tech help
    >> was great but the internet provider ihug gave poor advice. I'm fairly new
    >> to networking. Has anyone encountered this problem before?
    >> Joy

    > Possibly an address clash?. Each computer needs a unique IP address.
    > Either assign addresses by hand or let the router do it automatically.
    > Maybe the new computer thinks that it is the gateway to the internet?.
    > Sometimes the windows TCP/IP stack throws a wobbly for no particular
    > reason and needs to be reinstalled. Go to the network services control
    > panel icon and uninstall and then re-install networking protocols. You
    > only need Microsoft networking (so that network neighbourhood will work)
    > and TCP/IP for internet.

    Thanks for your reply. Why not the other services like
    File and Print sharing
    QoS packet scheduler
    WinPoet.
    We do (or did) share a printer plugged into the network, do we still need
    print sharing?
    Does Client for Microsoft Networks limit the number of pcs on the network?
    When I went looking for network services control panel icon, I found
    services advertising instead, I bet I don't need this.
    Sorry for all the questions.
    I thought a switch only acts as an intersection, but more like a roundabout
    rather than traffic lights. Are they delicate or robust, I can't reset them
    like I can the router but do they ever 'act up'?
    Where in the network software is it really important to allow ip addresses
    to be assigned automatically. In the router of course but elsewhere?
    Do you know of a good book I could use to clue myself up on all this?
    When using remote (I'm really out of my depth here) access to say a database
    on a pc on the same network, how is sychronization important and what is it
    anyway?

    Joy

    Joy, Apr 10, 2005
  4. Joy

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    Joy wrote:
    > "Roger_Nickel" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Joy wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'ts a puzzle.
    >>>I added a new pc (problem one which had been setup for a different kind
    >>>of network) to a home network which consists of a rta770 dynalink router
    >>>and a basic switch box. The network went down with a thump. After
    >>>working through many ideas to get it up and running, the only thing that
    >>>works is by-passing the switch box. Thinking that the switch box was the
    >>>problem, we used another switch box but the same thing happened which was
    >>>that the router would only allow one pc access to the internet. So, at
    >>>the moment, we've used all four spaces on the router with no extra
    >>>capacity that we can plug in. During the course of identifying the
    >>>problem, we shut down and reset the router twice. PB technology tech help
    >>>was great but the internet provider ihug gave poor advice. I'm fairly new
    >>>to networking. Has anyone encountered this problem before?
    >>>Joy

    >>Possibly an address clash?. Each computer needs a unique IP address.
    >>Either assign addresses by hand or let the router do it automatically.
    >>Maybe the new computer thinks that it is the gateway to the internet?.
    >>Sometimes the windows TCP/IP stack throws a wobbly for no particular
    >>reason and needs to be reinstalled. Go to the network services control
    >>panel icon and uninstall and then re-install networking protocols. You
    >>only need Microsoft networking (so that network neighbourhood will work)
    >>and TCP/IP for internet.

    > Thanks for your reply. Why not the other services like
    > File and Print sharing
    > QoS packet scheduler
    > WinPoet.
    > We do (or did) share a printer plugged into the network, do we still need
    > print sharing?
    > Does Client for Microsoft Networks limit the number of pcs on the network?
    > When I went looking for network services control panel icon, I found
    > services advertising instead, I bet I don't need this.
    > Sorry for all the questions.
    > I thought a switch only acts as an intersection, but more like a roundabout
    > rather than traffic lights. Are they delicate or robust, I can't reset them
    > like I can the router but do they ever 'act up'?
    > Where in the network software is it really important to allow ip addresses
    > to be assigned automatically. In the router of course but elsewhere?
    > Do you know of a good book I could use to clue myself up on all this?
    > When using remote (I'm really out of my depth here) access to say a database
    > on a pc on the same network, how is sychronization important and what is it
    > anyway?
    >
    > Joy

    You need to get the basic network protocols working before worrying about higher
    level stuff like printer sharing etc. The networking protocol settings are in
    Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Local Area and Dialup Network Connections.
    Open this dialogue first on one of the machines that you know is working and see
    if it is set to automatically obtain IP (Internet protocol) and DNS (Domain Name
    Server) addresses. If it is, then set the new machine up the same way. The
    router should be able to automatically assign IP and DNS addresses. If you are
    using an ordinary passive network hub "switchbox", make sure that the router is
    connected via the "uplink" port on the hub. Connection via one of the ordinary
    ports will need a crossover cable. Needless to say, don't use a crossover cable
    between any of the computers and the hub. Once everything is connected, the
    "link" or "LAN" LED's on the modem and on all of the computer network cards
    should be be on to show that an ethernet connection has been established.
    Internet protocol cannot run until a basic network connection is established. Go
    into the modem menu and restart DNS and DHCP; "repair" "clear cache" "reset" or
    similar.
    Internet services should now be working. Make sure that all machines are in
    the same Microsoft networking workgroup and set up file printsharing and other
    Microsoft networking services the way you want. DO enable sharing only within
    your workgroup DON'T enable file sharing over the internet

    Roger_Nickel, Apr 11, 2005