    the website doesn't answer. Would anyone have any other suggestions?

    Regards,
    George
    Also None, May 24, 2006

  2. Also None wrote:
    > I have several old boxes that I could install dos. Is there any way
    > to run such a box through the wan port on the router so I could
    > benefit from the physical firewall? I found one program (Internet
    > Extender v1.0b) but the website doesn't answer. Would anyone have
    > any other suggestions?

    Linux or BSD instead of DOS?
    Sebastian Gottschalk, May 24, 2006

  3. Also None

    Imhotep Guest

    Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:

    > Also None wrote:
    >> I have several old boxes that I could install dos. Is there any way
    >> to run such a box through the wan port on the router so I could
    >> benefit from the physical firewall? I found one program (Internet
    >> Extender v1.0b) but the website doesn't answer. Would anyone have
    >> any other suggestions?

    > Linux or BSD instead of DOS?

    Good suggestion. Linux/BSD makes a nice solution plus you can run it on
    older hardware...

    Im
    Imhotep, May 24, 2006
  4. Also None

    Todd H. Guest

    Also None <> writes:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am in the boonies with no hope of cable or dsl and the cost of
    > satilite is out of the question. I have a small network and running
    > xp pro using a router as a switch. I know there are routers with
    > dialup backup, but they seem out of reach too.

    I have an aging SMC Barricade 7004ABR switch/router that has a com
    port to fall back to an external modem and a printer port to boot.
    Not SPI, but I think it may get you where you wanna go.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/
    Todd H., May 24, 2006
  5. Also None

    Todd H. Guest

    (Todd H.) writes:

    > Also None <> writes:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I am in the boonies with no hope of cable or dsl and the cost of
    > > satilite is out of the question. I have a small network and running
    > > xp pro using a router as a switch. I know there are routers with
    > > dialup backup, but they seem out of reach too.

    > I have an aging SMC Barricade 7004ABR switch/router that has a com
    > port to fall back to an external modem and a printer port to boot.
    > Not SPI, but I think it may get you where you wanna go.

    For shits and giggles, i checked ebay for smc7004abr and wonder if $15
    might be in the budget?

    http://cgi.ebay.com/SMC-Barricade-S...ryZ20325QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/
    Todd H., May 24, 2006
  6. Also None

    Also None Guest

    On 24 May 2006 00:08:58 -0500, (Todd H.) wrote:

    > (Todd H.) writes:
    >
    >> Also None <> writes:
    >> > Hi all,
    >> >
    >> > I am in the boonies with no hope of cable or dsl and the cost of
    >> > satilite is out of the question. I have a small network and running
    >> > xp pro using a router as a switch. I know there are routers with
    >> > dialup backup, but they seem out of reach too.

    >> I have an aging SMC Barricade 7004ABR switch/router that has a com
    >> port to fall back to an external modem and a printer port to boot.
    >> Not SPI, but I think it may get you where you wanna go.

    >For shits and giggles, i checked ebay for smc7004abr and wonder if $15
    >might be in the budget?
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/SMC-Barricade-S...ryZ20325QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    Thanks, for shits and giggles I can afford the 15 bucks. Just for
    laughs, what is BSD. I see where to download it but it doesn't say
    what type of os it is.

    George
    Also None, May 24, 2006
  7. Also None

    Todd H. Guest

    Also None <> writes:
    > On 24 May 2006 00:08:58 -0500, (Todd H.) wrote:
    >
    > > (Todd H.) writes:

    > >> I have an aging SMC Barricade 7004ABR switch/router that has a com
    > >> port to fall back to an external modem and a printer port to boot.
    > >> Not SPI, but I think it may get you where you wanna go.

    > >For shits and giggles, i checked ebay for smc7004abr and wonder if $15
    > >might be in the budget?
    > >
    > > http://cgi.ebay.com/SMC-Barricade-S...ryZ20325QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    > Thanks, for shits and giggles I can afford the 15 bucks. Just for
    > laughs, what is BSD. I see where to download it but it doesn't say
    > what type of os it is.

    BSD is the version of UNIX developed at the University of California,
    Berkeley. The most common freebies of this style are FreeBSD, and
    OpenBSD. OpenBSD is revered as one of the most secure operating
    systems you can get your hands on for free. You can run it on a
    variety of hardware, including x86 PC's and cute little embedded boxes
    like Soekris.com stuff. An old pc with a comm port and an external
    modem would certainly be able to get you where you wanna go with much
    geek bragging rights, but the learning curve isn't exactly simple,
    particularly if you aren't a unix guy to begin with.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/
    Todd H., May 24, 2006
  8. Also None

    ~David~ Guest

    If you have an old box use linux or BSD. The 3 mail ones are freeBSD, openBSD,
    and netBSD all of whose websites are <name>.org (ie freebsd.org) If you use
    linux, use a tool like iptables for traffic routing, and use pf (packet filter)
    for openBSD. You can make your own firewall and router from any of these systems.

    Try this site on setting up a linux gateway:
    http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/networking/homegateway.html

    ~David~

    ~David~, May 25, 2006
  9. Also None

    Also None Guest

    On Wed, 24 May 2006 23:26:31 GMT, ~David~ <>
    wrote:

    >If you have an old box use linux or BSD. The 3 mail ones are freeBSD, openBSD,
    >and netBSD all of whose websites are <name>.org (ie freebsd.org) If you use
    >linux, use a tool like iptables for traffic routing, and use pf (packet filter)
    >for openBSD. You can make your own firewall and router from any of these systems.
    >
    >Try this site on setting up a linux gateway:
    >http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/networking/homegateway.html
    >
    >~David~
    >
    >Also None wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I am in the boonies with no hope of cable or dsl and the cost of
    >> satilite is out of the question. I have a small network and running
    >> xp pro using a router as a switch. I know there are routers with
    >> dialup backup, but they seem out of reach too. I have several old
    >> boxes that I could install dos. Is there any way to run such a box
    >> through the wan port on the router so I could benefit from the
    >> physical firewall? I found one program (Internet Extender v1.0b) but
    >> the website doesn't answer. Would anyone have any other suggestions?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> George

    Thank you to everyone. I ordered the router from ebay. I'm just not
    sure I want to tackle linux right now. I can do dos real easy. I'll
    check back when I get the router up and running. I don't know about
    you folks, but my business (computer repair) is way down. Folks seem
    to need the money for gasoline and the slow computer can wait.

    Thanks again
    George
    Also None, May 25, 2006
  10. Also None

    Also None Guest

    On Tue, 23 May 2006 20:57:48 -0400, Also None <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I am in the boonies with no hope of cable or dsl and the cost of
    >satilite is out of the question. I have a small network and running
    >xp pro using a router as a switch. I know there are routers with
    >dialup backup, but they seem out of reach too. I have several old
    >boxes that I could install dos. Is there any way to run such a box
    >through the wan port on the router so I could benefit from the
    >physical firewall? I found one program (Internet Extender v1.0b) but
    >the website doesn't answer. Would anyone have any other suggestions?
    >
    >Regards,
    >George

    Waal, I recieved the router and it was easy to configure and works
    just fine. Thanks to everyone for your help.

    George
    Also None, Jun 3, 2006
  11. Also None

    Henry Guest

    On 24 May 2006 00:08:58 -0500, (Todd H.) wrote:

    > (Todd H.) writes:
    >
    >> Also None <> writes:
    >> > Hi all,
    >> >
    >> > I am in the boonies with no hope of cable or dsl and the cost of
    >> > satilite is out of the question. I have a small network and running
    >> > xp pro using a router as a switch. I know there are routers with
    >> > dialup backup, but they seem out of reach too.

    >> I have an aging SMC Barricade 7004ABR switch/router that has a com
    >> port to fall back to an external modem and a printer port to boot.
    >> Not SPI, but I think it may get you where you wanna go.

    >For shits and giggles, i checked ebay for smc7004abr and wonder if $15
    >might be in the budget?
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/SMC-Barricade-S...ryZ20325QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    This is a progress report.

    Got the router - works beautiful.
    Had a Zoom serial modem.
    Without getting tooooo far OT, It was always slower than internal
    modems but was handy to stick on a puter just to check it out. Hooked
    it to the router and it worked but was slow downloading at 2 k's. I
    began a dialog with Zoom and tested at 2400. They said this was fine.
    Without going further, their support service stinks. All I want is it
    to work normal and be fixed wihich I offered to pay. Anyway, there
    are lots of modems on ebay - any which are better for me? Robotics?
    What do you folks reccommend for security.

    Regards,
    George
    Henry, Jun 15, 2006
  12. Also None

    Todd H. Guest

    Henry <nowhere@127.0.0.1> writes:

    > What do you folks reccommend for security.

    In modems--doesn't matter. I've never heard of a modem-brand-specific
    exploit that led to compromise. Just make sure auto answer is off,
    and you should be golden. It's akin to inquiring what brand of cat5
    cable is the most secure.

    US Robotics Courier v.everything was a very strong performer.

    Agere SV92p Modem seem to have good rep.

    I had a usr sportster that worked fine for me.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/
    Todd H., Jun 15, 2006