    is unusable. If I connect the PC directly to the modem download speed is
    normal so it must be the router. What settings could cause this?

    Thanks

    Mike, Jan 11, 2007

  2. Mike

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 22:26:14 GMT, "Mike" <> wrote:

    >I have an imac and a Windows XP PC on a SMC 7004 router connected to a cable
    >modem. The imac download speeds are 1-1.5kBs whereas the PC's are so slow it
    >is unusable. If I connect the PC directly to the modem download speed is
    >normal so it must be the router. What settings could cause this?

    Try a different cable for the PC (or take the cable connecting the MAC
    and use that for the PC.

    Try connecting the PC directly to the cable modem.

    Evan Platt, Jan 11, 2007

  3. Mike wrote:

    > I have an imac and a Windows XP PC on a SMC 7004 router connected to a
    > cable modem. The imac download speeds are 1-1.5kBs whereas the PC's are so
    > slow it is unusable. If I connect the PC directly to the modem download
    > speed is normal so it must be the router. What settings could cause this?

    Some cable ISPs use MAC addresses to identify the connected pcs. You may as
    well (which kind/brand of cable modem, which ISP?) have wrong protocol
    settings on the router, or NIC negotiation (speed, duplex) between the
    router and the modems lan port doesn't work.

    Walter Mautner, Jan 12, 2007
  4. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 22:26:14 GMT, "Mike" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have an imac and a Windows XP PC on a SMC 7004 router connected to a
    >>cable
    >>modem. The imac download speeds are 1-1.5kBs whereas the PC's are so slow
    >>it
    >>is unusable. If I connect the PC directly to the modem download speed is
    >>normal so it must be the router. What settings could cause this?

    > Try a different cable for the PC (or take the cable connecting the MAC
    > and use that for the PC.
    >
    > Try connecting the PC directly to the cable modem.

    Still no go

    Mike, Jan 12, 2007
  5. Mike

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 06:25:55 GMT, "Mike" <> wrote:

    >"Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 22:26:14 GMT, "Mike" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have an imac and a Windows XP PC on a SMC 7004 router connected to a
    >>>cable
    >>>modem. The imac download speeds are 1-1.5kBs whereas the PC's are so slow
    >>>it
    >>>is unusable. If I connect the PC directly to the modem download speed is
    >>>normal so it must be the router. What settings could cause this?

    >> Try a different cable for the PC (or take the cable connecting the MAC
    >> and use that for the PC.
    >>
    >> Try connecting the PC directly to the cable modem.

    >Still no go

    On which? One of the suggestions? All?

    Evan Platt, Jan 12, 2007
  6. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 06:25:55 GMT, "Mike" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Evan Platt" <> wrote in message

    >>> Try a different cable for the PC (or take the cable connecting the MAC
    >>> and use that for the PC.
    >>>
    >>> Try connecting the PC directly to the cable modem.

    >>Still no go

    > On which? One of the suggestions? All?

    All

    Mike, Jan 12, 2007