    out who owns them and if I should be concerned?

    Thanks for any advice.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Jan 9, 2006

  2. Jeff

    GTS Guest

    Answers below
    "Jeff" <> wrote in message
    news:%...
    >I would like to ask some advice about some of my router settings I do not
    >fully understand.
    >
    > 1. A simple one. The default channel is 6. Since everyone seems to use
    > channel 6, (and I think I may be getting some interference) are some of
    > the channels better choices than others?

    Due to the way channels overlap, there are really only 3 discrete choices.
    Channels 1,6, and 11. You're right that most default to channel 6, and
    there's certainly no reason not to use 1 or 11 instead, especially if you
    think there might me another unit in range on channel 6.

    > 2. One of the settings DDNS (Dynamic DNS) is currently set to disabled.
    > What does this do and is there an advantage to changing it to enabled?

    Dynamic DNS is useful when you want to connect to your computer from another
    location (with remote desktop or other programs) and you have a dynamic IP
    address (usually the case). DDNS requires joining a dynamic DNS service and
    setting up certain information and a name for your connection there. The
    router can be configured to update that service keep the name referenced to
    your current IP address.(See http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/ for
    an example service if interested.)

    It is of no value for any other reason and you should just ignore it if not
    needed for this kind of purpose.

    > 3. The router maintains a log of IPs it blocked or permitted access to. I
    > do not recognize the IPs listed as blocked. Is there a simple way to find
    > out who owns them and if I should be concerned?

    It is possible to look up an IP address but rarely useful for this
    situation. You would usually not be able to track the result to an
    individual but rather to a particular ISP. You shouldn't be concerned about
    it. I assume you're looking at the routers logs and it is normal to see
    many rejected access attempts..

    (See http://www.geektools.com/whois.php for one look up source if
    interested).

    GTS, Jan 10, 2006

  3. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Thank you for your excellent and helpful reply. Most appreciative.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Jan 10, 2006
  4. Jeff

    GTS Guest

    You're welcome.

    GTS, Jan 10, 2006
  5. Jeff

    Keppy Guest

    Very nice, easy to understand and clear response. Thanks from me too!

    Keppy, Jan 10, 2006
  6. Jeff

    GTS Guest

    Thanks for the comment. It's appreciated.

    GTS, Jan 10, 2006
  7. Good afternoon everyone-

    I have a question about DDNS. I do have a need for it; however, I cannot
    figure out how to configure my MN-700 Microsoft Basestation to use Dynamic
    DNS. I found very little information online about it.

    Thanks for your help in advance.

    Scott

    =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHQ=?=, Feb 16, 2006