    two nic cards, makes no difference which one I use, the router still resets
    itself 30 minutes after boot and if the phone is in use the call is dropped.
    I've changed all the cables. Anyone see this before?

    JGA, Jun 5, 2006

  2. "JGA" <> wrote:
    >Overall my viop setup is working pretty well, however I do have one
    >annoyance that refuses to leave. The linksys rt31p2 resets itself about 30
    >minutes after either one of the 2 computers connected to it is booted. Time
    >of day makes no difference, either computer will cause it. One computer has
    >two nic cards, makes no difference which one I use, the router still resets
    >itself 30 minutes after boot and if the phone is in use the call is dropped.
    >I've changed all the cables. Anyone see this before?

    Are either of those machines running a "file sharing" app like
    BitTorrent, or generating any other similar traffic?

    William P.N. Smith, Jun 5, 2006

  3. JGA

    JGA Guest

    "William P.N. Smith" <> wrote in message
    > "JGA" <> wrote:
    >>Overall my viop setup is working pretty well, however I do have one
    >>annoyance that refuses to leave. The linksys rt31p2 resets itself about
    >>30
    >>minutes after either one of the 2 computers connected to it is booted.
    >>Time
    >>of day makes no difference, either computer will cause it. One computer
    >>has
    >>two nic cards, makes no difference which one I use, the router still
    >>resets
    >>itself 30 minutes after boot and if the phone is in use the call is
    >>dropped.
    >>I've changed all the cables. Anyone see this before?

    > Are either of those machines running a "file sharing" app like
    > BitTorrent, or generating any other similar traffic?

    No, other than occasional local network file transfers of very small size we
    don't use the file sharing apps.

    JGA, Jun 5, 2006
  4. JGA

    Rick Merrill Guest

    JGA wrote:
    > Overall my viop setup is working pretty well, however I do have one
    > annoyance that refuses to leave. The linksys rt31p2 resets itself about 30
    > minutes after either one of the 2 computers connected to it is booted. Time
    > of day makes no difference, either computer will cause it. One computer has
    > two nic cards, makes no difference which one I use, the router still resets
    > itself 30 minutes after boot and if the phone is in use the call is dropped.
    > I've changed all the cables. Anyone see this before?

    What, if anything, happens after the router is reset? Will things work
    normally for hours and hours thereafter? (could you power usage be
    marginal?)

    Rick Merrill, Jun 5, 2006
  5. JGA

    JGA Guest

    "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message
    > JGA wrote:
    >> Overall my viop setup is working pretty well, however I do have one
    >> annoyance that refuses to leave. The linksys rt31p2 resets itself about
    >> 30 minutes after either one of the 2 computers connected to it is booted.
    >> Time of day makes no difference, either computer will cause it. One
    >> computer has two nic cards, makes no difference which one I use, the
    >> router still resets itself 30 minutes after boot and if the phone is in
    >> use the call is dropped. I've changed all the cables. Anyone see this
    >> before?

    > What, if anything, happens after the router is reset? Will things work
    > normally for hours and hours thereafter? (could you power usage be
    > marginal?)

    After the reset everything works normally. Internet access, phone, local
    net, nothing is stopped after the reset. It's only once per boot. After
    that it will work fine as long as I don't reboot. I don't think it's a
    power issue, all the components are on ups supplies and their logs show
    nothing. The fact that it happens at 30 minutes is got me stumped.

    JGA, Jun 5, 2006
  6. JGA

    Rick Merrill Guest

    JGA wrote:
    > "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>JGA wrote:
    >>
    >>>Overall my viop setup is working pretty well, however I do have one
    >>>annoyance that refuses to leave. The linksys rt31p2 resets itself about
    >>>30 minutes after either one of the 2 computers connected to it is booted.
    >>>Time of day makes no difference, either computer will cause it. One
    >>>computer has two nic cards, makes no difference which one I use, the
    >>>router still resets itself 30 minutes after boot and if the phone is in
    >>>use the call is dropped. I've changed all the cables. Anyone see this
    >>>before?

    >>What, if anything, happens after the router is reset? Will things work
    >>normally for hours and hours thereafter? (could you power usage be
    >>marginal?)
    >>

    > After the reset everything works normally. Internet access, phone, local
    > net, nothing is stopped after the reset. It's only once per boot. After
    > that it will work fine as long as I don't reboot. I don't think it's a
    > power issue, all the components are on ups supplies and their logs show
    > nothing. The fact that it happens at 30 minutes is got me stumped.

    Are you running Win xp on the 2 computers? (no hubs or other routers?)

    Have you seen
    http://www.vonage-forum.com/ftopic2067.html
    where they seem to have the same problem.

    One guy Added a hub and no longer sees his problem.

    Rick Merrill, Jun 5, 2006
  7. JGA

    Rick Merrill Guest

    JGA wrote:

    > "William P.N. Smith" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"JGA" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Overall my viop setup is working pretty well, however I do have one
    >>>annoyance that refuses to leave. The linksys rt31p2 resets itself about
    >>>30
    >>>minutes after either one of the 2 computers connected to it is booted.
    >>>Time
    >>>of day makes no difference, either computer will cause it. One computer
    >>>has
    >>>two nic cards, makes no difference which one I use, the router still
    >>>resets
    >>>itself 30 minutes after boot and if the phone is in use the call is
    >>>dropped.
    >>>I've changed all the cables. Anyone see this before?

    >>Are either of those machines running a "file sharing" app like
    >>BitTorrent, or generating any other similar traffic?

    > No, other than occasional local network file transfers of very small size we
    > don't use the file sharing apps.

    Have you checked for spyware etc? I've seen some forums where
    BitTorrent or Azureus can cause the [wait for it] reset.

    Rick Merrill, Jun 5, 2006
  8. "JGA" <> wrote:
    >After the reset everything works normally. Internet access, phone, local
    >net, nothing is stopped after the reset. It's only once per boot. After
    >that it will work fine as long as I don't reboot.

    Yeah, if it's exactly 30 minutes that's really bizarre. I was
    thinking overheating or something, but maybe there's a program phoning
    home that the router doesn't know how to deal with.

    Are you running the latest firmware for your Linksys box?

    William P.N. Smith, Jun 5, 2006
  9. JGA

    > "JGA" <> wrote:
    >>After the reset everything works normally. Internet access, phone, local
    >>net, nothing is stopped after the reset. It's only once per boot. After
    >>that it will work fine as long as I don't reboot.

    > Yeah, if it's exactly 30 minutes that's really bizarre. I was
    > thinking overheating or something, but maybe there's a program phoning
    > home that the router doesn't know how to deal with.
    >
    > Are you running the latest firmware for your Linksys box?

    Both systems running Win XP. It's a simple network. Cable modem, router, 2
    computers, 1 phone. I check for spyware frequently with AdAware, run anti
    virus scans weekly. Nothing other than cookies shows up, and I summarily
    delete them. Any file transfers are local and take no longer than a couple
    of seconds. There is no wireless involved.

    I don't think it's overheating, the computer room is air conditioned,
    although you never know. I was careful not to stack anything on top of the
    router. Firmware, as I understand it, comes from the provider, Vonage.
    Firmware and phone home programs seem to be the likely suspects but I haven't
    found anything yet. The last update from my provider was 9/2/05 version
    1.30.01. Linksys directs me back to Vonage for updates.

    Other than shutting down the computers overnight everything else stays up.

    I appreciate your input with this. I have considered replacing the router
    but don't want to inherit new problems.

    JGA, Jun 5, 2006
  10. JGA

    Rick Merrill Guest

    JGA wrote:

    > "William P.N. Smith" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"JGA" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>After the reset everything works normally. Internet access, phone, local
    >>>net, nothing is stopped after the reset. It's only once per boot. After
    >>>that it will work fine as long as I don't reboot.

    >>Yeah, if it's exactly 30 minutes that's really bizarre. I was
    >>thinking overheating or something, but maybe there's a program phoning
    >>home that the router doesn't know how to deal with.
    >>
    >>Are you running the latest firmware for your Linksys box?

    > Both systems running Win XP. It's a simple network. Cable modem, router, 2
    > computers, 1 phone. I check for spyware frequently with AdAware, run anti
    > virus scans weekly. Nothing other than cookies shows up, and I summarily
    > delete them. Any file transfers are local and take no longer than a couple
    > of seconds. There is no wireless involved.
    >

    > I don't think it's overheating, the computer room is air conditioned,
    > although you never know. I was careful not to stack anything on top of the
    > router.

    Ah! That reminds me of my modem which began resetting itself at 30 min
    (random?) intervals. I finally discovered it had a same-color-as
    the-rest-of-the-case RESET BUTTON on the TOP! Yes, the upper 'shelf' had
    begun do just barely touch the reset button. Heat made the shelf sag and
    bingo!

    Rick Merrill, Jun 5, 2006
  11. JGA

    > JGA wrote:
    >
    >> "William P.N. Smith" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"JGA" <> wrote:

    ...........clip........

    > Ah! That reminds me of my modem which began resetting itself at 30 min
    > (random?) intervals. I finally discovered it had a same-color-as
    > the-rest-of-the-case RESET BUTTON on the TOP! Yes, the upper 'shelf' had
    > begun do just barely touch the reset button. Heat made the shelf sag and
    > bingo!

    There's a unique little trap. Just to be sure I checked mine and no, the
    reset button is recessed in a little hole on the back. It almost looks like
    the router is renewing the line lease or DHCP when the nic comes online
    (boot). It's set for zero which according to the info should be 1 day. Why
    it takes 30 minutes is anybody's guess.

    JGA, Jun 6, 2006
  12. JGA

    Rick Merrill Guest

    JGA wrote:
    > "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>JGA wrote:
    >>

    >>>"William P.N. Smith" <> wrote in message

    > ..........clip........
    >

    >>Ah! That reminds me of my modem which began resetting itself at 30 min
    >>(random?) intervals. I finally discovered it had a same-color-as
    >>the-rest-of-the-case RESET BUTTON on the TOP! Yes, the upper 'shelf' had
    >>begun do just barely touch the reset button. Heat made the shelf sag and
    >>bingo!

    > There's a unique little trap. Just to be sure I checked mine and no, the
    > reset button is recessed in a little hole on the back. It almost looks like
    > the router is renewing the line lease or DHCP when the nic comes online
    > (boot). It's set for zero which according to the info should be 1 day. Why
    > it takes 30 minutes is anybody's guess.

    Your problem is repeated in

    http://www.vonage-forum.com/ftopic2067.html

    Rick Merrill, Jun 6, 2006