    Wireless is not required.

    Anyone got any ideas ?

    Ta :)

    XPD, Jan 25, 2006

  2. XPD

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 14:40:34 +1300, "XPD" <....nz>
    exclaimed:

    >Im looking for a "high end" DSL router for a client, however it must be user
    >friendly when it comes to making changes etc..... ie: HTTP based
    >configuration etc like a Nokia M1122
    >
    >They had a Cisco 837 but this has bit the big one...... and they didnt like
    >the fact they had to pay yet again to have it configured etc. (I only know
    >the very basics of Cisco stuff)
    >
    >Looking at spending upto $1000 - the more features the better obviously :)
    >Wireless is not required.
    >
    >Anyone got any ideas ?

    Probably no need to spend quite that much - if you're not paying for
    Cisco, you can get a pretty grunty one for under $500, these days.

    How many simultaneous connections are required?

    Fred Dagg, Jan 25, 2006

  3. XPD

    Tony Guest

    Get another Cisco, this makes them easy to set up.

    http://www.ifm.net.nz/cookbooks/

    Tony, Jan 25, 2006
  4. "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 14:40:34 +1300, "XPD" <....nz>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >>Im looking for a "high end" DSL router for a client, however it must be
    >>user
    >>friendly when it comes to making changes etc..... ie: HTTP based
    >>configuration etc like a Nokia M1122
    >>
    >>They had a Cisco 837 but this has bit the big one...... and they didnt
    >>like
    >>the fact they had to pay yet again to have it configured etc. (I only know
    >>the very basics of Cisco stuff)

    Most of the DSL routers out there are "consumer grade" and you can get them
    for a few hundred only. If there is a "bug" then you have to wait until they
    fix it (or nor fix it)

    I don't know what you define as "high end", but a Cisco 837 or Allied
    Telesyn Routers are both "Commercial Grade" routers
    but you will pay the $$ for them. If you find a bug.. they will listen and
    normally fix the problem (You can buy support contracts for them, something
    you cannot do for consumer grade DSL routers.

    The reason for HTTP interface to configure it up? Normally with DSL.. its
    set up once and then no other changes are needed.
    And you don't know how to set it up (the cisco). You can see
    http://www.ifm.net.nz/cookbooks/adsl.html which gives you
    "cookbooks" on setting them up which are pretty straight forward.

    Thanks
    Craig

    Craig Whitmore, Jan 25, 2006
  5. XPD

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 14:40:34 +1300, XPD wrote:

    > Im looking for a "high end" DSL router for a client, however it must be user
    > friendly when it comes to making changes etc..... ie: HTTP based
    > configuration etc like a Nokia M1122
    >
    > They had a Cisco 837 but this has bit the big one...... and they didnt like
    > the fact they had to pay yet again to have it configured etc. (I only know
    > the very basics of Cisco stuff)
    >
    > Looking at spending upto $1000 - the more features the better obviously :)
    > Wireless is not required.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas ?
    >
    > Ta :)

    My first response. http interface is most places now. I seem to buying all
    sorts of routers etc which have the Penguin embedded in them. A web
    interface springs to the users monitor.

    Gordon, Jan 25, 2006
  6. On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 14:40:34 +1300, "XPD" <....nz>
    wrote:

    >Im looking for a "high end" DSL router for a client, however it must be user
    >friendly when it comes to making changes etc..... ie: HTTP based
    >configuration etc like a Nokia M1122
    >
    >They had a Cisco 837 but this has bit the big one...... and they didnt like
    >the fact they had to pay yet again to have it configured etc. (I only know
    >the very basics of Cisco stuff)
    >
    >Looking at spending upto $1000 - the more features the better obviously :)
    >Wireless is not required.
    >
    >Anyone got any ideas ?
    >
    >Ta :)

    If the 837 was under service contract (as a lot of Ciscos are), then
    just get Cisco to replace it (free) under the contract. Most such
    contracts are for next business day or better response time. With the
    service contract normally comes email and phone support from Cisco to
    help with problems, including configuration. And yes, they really
    *do* phone you back, with real answers to your problems. Cisco
    service contracts used to cost the earth, but for boxes like the 837
    are now quite reasonable - much cheaper than when I first got my 827.

    If you backed up the configuration that was loaded in the old 837,
    reloading it in a new one is not a problem. There are lots of ways of
    backing up configurations, but the one I do is to get my 827 to FTP
    the file to my internal FTP server.

    Stephen Worthington, Jan 25, 2006