    ISP1 -------- ----------------
    T1 | CIsco 3640 (BGP)|
    ISP2 ------- ----------------

    Yepp, Oct 28, 2003

  2. In article <>,
    Yepp <> wrote:
    > I have a question rgd to route redundant. My site has a Cisco 3640,

    Get the book "High Availability Networking" by Vincent Jones.

    >with 2 T1 lines from two ISPs, running BGP routing protocol. Based on
    >this configuration, the 3640 will be the single point of failure. I'm
    >looking for some HA / full redundant solutions which provide
    >hotswap/automatic fail-over features at router level. If I use two
    >3640s, running HSRP, my concern is when primary router went down, how
    >can BGP routing switch over to the standby router ? Can anyone help me
    >or advise the suitable solution for me, much appreciated. Thanks :)

    If the primary router fails, its BGP session with the ISP will go down, so
    the advertisements from the standby router will take over.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Level(3), Woburn, MA

    Barry Margolin, Oct 28, 2003

  3. Yepp

    Eric DuMond Guest

    Barry Margolin <> wrote in message news:<Bgwnb.258$3.com>...
    > In article <>,
    > Yepp <> wrote:
    > > I have a question rgd to route redundant. My site has a Cisco 3640,

    > Get the book "High Availability Networking" by Vincent Jones.
    >
    > >with 2 T1 lines from two ISPs, running BGP routing protocol. Based on
    > >this configuration, the 3640 will be the single point of failure. I'm
    > >looking for some HA / full redundant solutions which provide
    > >hotswap/automatic fail-over features at router level. If I use two
    > >3640s, running HSRP, my concern is when primary router went down, how
    > >can BGP routing switch over to the standby router ? Can anyone help me
    > >or advise the suitable solution for me, much appreciated. Thanks :)

    > If the primary router fails, its BGP session with the ISP will go down, so
    > the advertisements from the standby router will take over.

    One other thing (for those who may not be aware). Make sure you use a
    preempt statement in your HSRP config. This way when your primary
    router comes back up it will take over as the primary again.

    Eric

    Eric DuMond, Oct 28, 2003
  4. Yepp

    Yepp Guest

    (Eric DuMond) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Barry Margolin <> wrote in message news:<Bgwnb.258$3.com>...
    > > In article <>,
    > > Yepp <> wrote:
    > > > I have a question rgd to route redundant. My site has a Cisco 3640,

    > > Get the book "High Availability Networking" by Vincent Jones.
    > >
    > > >with 2 T1 lines from two ISPs, running BGP routing protocol. Based on
    > > >this configuration, the 3640 will be the single point of failure. I'm
    > > >looking for some HA / full redundant solutions which provide
    > > >hotswap/automatic fail-over features at router level. If I use two
    > > >3640s, running HSRP, my concern is when primary router went down, how
    > > >can BGP routing switch over to the standby router ? Can anyone help me
    > > >or advise the suitable solution for me, much appreciated. Thanks :)

    > > If the primary router fails, its BGP session with the ISP will go down, so
    > > the advertisements from the standby router will take over.

    > One other thing (for those who may not be aware). Make sure you use a
    > preempt statement in your HSRP config. This way when your primary
    > router comes back up it will take over as the primary again.
    >
    > Eric

    How do I configure the standby router physically ? Cos two T1 lines
    are terminated to the primary router (no connection to the standby
    router). In case the primary router went down, e.g. router hang and
    serial port not responding anymore. How does the standby router take
    over the bgp session ?

    Yepp, Oct 29, 2003
  5. Yepp

    Ivan Ostres Guest

    "Yepp" <> wrote in message
    > How do I configure the standby router physically ? Cos two T1 lines
    > are terminated to the primary router (no connection to the standby
    > router). In case the primary router went down, e.g. router hang and
    > serial port not responding anymore. How does the standby router take
    > over the bgp session ?

    It does not. It would be good to connect T1's to different routers.

    In your setup, it won't do any redundancy.

    Ivan

    Ivan Ostres, Oct 29, 2003
  6. Yepp

    Guest

    (Yepp) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a question rgd to route redundant. My site has a Cisco 3640,
    > with 2 T1 lines from two ISPs, running BGP routing protocol. Based on
    > this configuration, the 3640 will be the single point of failure. I'm
    > looking for some HA / full redundant solutions which provide
    > hotswap/automatic fail-over features at router level. If I use two
    > 3640s, running HSRP, my concern is when primary router went down, how
    > can BGP routing switch over to the standby router ? Can anyone help me
    > or advise the suitable solution for me, much appreciated. Thanks :)
    > T1
    > ISP1 -------- ----------------
    > T1 | CIsco 3640 (BGP)|
    > ISP2 ------- ----------------

    I assume that you have two T1s from two ISPs for redundancy. You can
    simply have each T1 go to a single router, and then enable HSRP on
    both the routers.

    However, if you have the two T1s for greater bandwidth, then, you have
    to re-think your redundancy strategy!

    , Oct 29, 2003
  7. Yepp

    Yepp Guest

    wrote in message news:<>...
    > (Yepp) wrote in message news:<>...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a question rgd to route redundant. My site has a Cisco 3640,
    > > with 2 T1 lines from two ISPs, running BGP routing protocol. Based on
    > > this configuration, the 3640 will be the single point of failure. I'm
    > > looking for some HA / full redundant solutions which provide
    > > hotswap/automatic fail-over features at router level. If I use two
    > > 3640s, running HSRP, my concern is when primary router went down, how
    > > can BGP routing switch over to the standby router ? Can anyone help me
    > > or advise the suitable solution for me, much appreciated. Thanks :)
    > > T1
    > > ISP1 -------- ----------------
    > > T1 | CIsco 3640 (BGP)|
    > > ISP2 ------- ----------------

    > I assume that you have two T1s from two ISPs for redundancy. You can
    > simply have each T1 go to a single router, and then enable HSRP on
    > both the routers.
    >
    > However, if you have the two T1s for greater bandwidth, then, you have
    > to re-think your redundancy strategy!

    Thanks all yr input.

    I still have one question : we're running BGP on this router, both
    lines are in production. We have some web server hosting. If 2 T1
    lines go to each router & using HSRP on both of them. does it means
    it'll disable BGP protocol ? My big concern is inbound access, we host
    some web servers, using a static ip from ISP A. I assume HSRP only
    have one active router, in case the active rotuer went down, the
    standby router will take over and become active. how does these web
    server still able to access from Internet ? pls correct me if I'm
    wrong.

    Yepp, Nov 1, 2003
  8. In article <>,
    Yepp <> wrote:
    >I still have one question : we're running BGP on this router, both
    >lines are in production. We have some web server hosting. If 2 T1
    >lines go to each router & using HSRP on both of them. does it means
    >it'll disable BGP protocol ? My big concern is inbound access, we host
    >some web servers, using a static ip from ISP A. I assume HSRP only
    >have one active router, in case the active rotuer went down, the
    >standby router will take over and become active. how does these web
    >server still able to access from Internet ? pls correct me if I'm
    >wrong.

    What you could do is set up two standby groups. One router would be
    primary for one group, the other would be primary for the other group, and
    they would each be stanby for the other group. Configure half of your web
    servers to use one address as the default gateway, the other half using the
    other address. So when both connections are up, you would get load sharing
    for outbound traffic (most of the traffic for web servers is outbound).

    When one of the connections goes down, BGP will detect this and stop using
    that connection. If an interface go down, HSRP will automatically switch
    over to the standby router.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Level(3), Woburn, MA