    Thanks
    Grams

    , May 3, 2007

  2. Mr. Arnold Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > hello all, 1st time here!
    > I have a question about wireless internet. I am in the sticks so we
    > have satellite internet. My husband uses a lap top and so we have a
    > router. My neighbors are to say the least... questionable! They are
    > very computer savy.
    >
    > My question... Is there a way to know if someone has tapped into my
    > signal, or if they are watching my internet (banking) activities?

    All Internet banking activites are using HTTPS between the bank and your
    computer's browser. So, you're not going to have a problem there.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTPS

    A wireless hacker cannot eavesdrop on HTTPS on the wireless.

    > I am using a D-Link DIR 625 router. I didnt do anything special
    > setting it up... just used windows to find the signal on hubbys puter.
    >
    > Any help appreciated

    Well at the very least, you should implement the basics.

    http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelesssecurity/tp/wifisecurity.htm

    The second area that is weak for wireless users is the computer itself not
    being protected properly or harden to attack as much as possible.

    A wireless hacker can hack the wireless, join your wireless network and
    access your computers, if they are not protected. And yes, if they can plant
    malware on the machine that's recording every keystroke, they got your bank
    account number and password.

    So try to protect the NT based O/S like XP as much as possible.

    http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm

    You can post to alt.internet.wireless for more tips from those that make a
    living setting-up wireless networks.

    You should try to practice safe hex as much as possible.

    http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

    Mr. Arnold, May 3, 2007

  3. Guest

    On May 3, 12:02 am, "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > hello all, 1st time here!
    > > I have a question about wireless internet. I am in the sticks so we
    > > have satellite internet. My husband uses a lap top and so we have a
    > > router. My neighbors are to say the least... questionable! They are
    > > very computer savy.

    > > My question... Is there a way to know if someone has tapped into my
    > > signal, or if they are watching my internet (banking) activities?

    > All Internet banking activites are using HTTPS between the bank and your
    > computer's browser. So, you're not going to have a problem there.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTPS
    >
    > A wireless hacker cannot eavesdrop on HTTPS on the wireless.
    >

    > > I am using a D-Link DIR 625 router. I didnt do anything special
    > > setting it up... just used windows to find the signal on hubbys puter.

    > > Any help appreciated

    > Well at the very least, you should implement the basics.
    >
    > http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelesssecurity/tp/wifisecurity.htm
    >
    > The second area that is weak for wireless users is the computer itself not
    > being protected properly or harden to attack as much as possible.
    >
    > A wireless hacker can hack the wireless, join your wireless network and
    > access your computers, if they are not protected. And yes, if they can plant
    > malware on the machine that's recording every keystroke, they got your bank
    > account number and password.
    >
    > So try to protect the NT based O/S like XP as much as possible.
    >
    > http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm
    >
    > You can post to alt.internet.wireless for more tips from those that make a
    > living setting-up wireless networks.
    >
    > You should try to practice safe hex as much as possible.
    >
    > http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

    Thank you for the info! will be looking into this all tomorrow!
    thanks again!

    , May 3, 2007
  4. On 02 May 2007, posted some

    > hello all, 1st time here!
    > I have a question about wireless internet. I am in the sticks so we
    > have satellite internet. My husband uses a lap top and so we have a
    > router. My neighbors are to say the least... questionable! They are
    > very computer savy.
    >
    > My question... Is there a way to know if someone has tapped into my
    > signal, or if they are watching my internet (banking) activities?

    If you did not enable WEP, WPA, or WPA2, they're probably using your
    wireless connection whenever they want. And yes, they could be sniffing
    your traffic, but it's very doubtful they could do anything with an
    encrypted banking session. No bank allows unencrypted banking
    connections.

    > I am using a D-Link DIR 625 router. I didnt do anything special
    > setting it up... just used windows to find the signal on hubbys puter.

    http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1055

    Instead of using WEP, pick WPA and make up a password using uppercase,
    lowercase and a number or two. e.g. pASswOrD0123. Write it down and do
    the router first, network card second. If it fails to work, you can
    always plug in a network cable to troubleshoot.

    You will have to find out what kind of wireless network card is in hubby's
    puter and find out if it supports WPA. If it doesn't you'll have to use
    WEP. The WEP and WPA passwords must match on the router and wireless
    card. Do NOT use the example password above.

    Bert Lancaster, May 4, 2007