Router Question

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Robert Paris, Jan 16, 2004.

  1. Robert Paris

    Robert Paris Guest

    Is it possible to configure a router so it's hooked to two servers and
    have it either:

    1. Send requests to one server unless that one doesn't respond, and
    then automatically switch over?

    Is this possible for all routers currently used by the top hosting
    services?

    2. Send requests to two (or more) servers at once? i.e. duplicate the
    requests and send to all connected servers?

    I want something like this:

    Router

    ------------------
    | |
    Server 1 Server 2
    Robert Paris, Jan 16, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    (Robert Paris) wrote:

    > Is it possible to configure a router so it's hooked to two servers and
    > have it either:
    >
    > 1. Send requests to one server unless that one doesn't respond, and
    > then automatically switch over?
    >
    > Is this possible for all routers currently used by the top hosting
    > services?

    This is not something that ordinary routers generally do. You need
    something like a Local Director. Either that, or the servers must
    implement transparent failover between themselves -- ask the server
    vendor whether they have any kind of clustering software that does this.

    > 2. Send requests to two (or more) servers at once? i.e. duplicate the
    > requests and send to all connected servers?

    I've never heard of this, except in very limited contexts. E.g. when
    Cisco routers are forwarding broadcasts, you can have multiple "ip
    helper-address" statements and it will send to all of them. This can be
    useful for DHCP server redundancy (the client will use the first
    response that it gets, and send a rejection back to the other servers so
    they know that the response was not used).

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA
    Barry Margolin, Jan 16, 2004