    I have tried two different cables.
    Anyone got any ideas , maybe incorrect setting somewhere.
    Cheers for reading.

    Goiter bad neck, Jun 5, 2006

  2. Goiter bad neck

    old man Guest

    Your ethernet device is enabled?
    The ethernet drivers are installed?

    "Goiter bad neck" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > HI,
    > Running win xp sp2.
    > Just aquired a bt voyager 2500v router.
    > Isp is BTbroadband.
    > It works fine using the supplied usb cable.
    > However using the supplied ethernet cable the router dissapears from

    device

    old man, Jun 5, 2006

  3. Goiter bad neck

    mike Guest

    All routers like this have the same SW in them.

    You either manage it through the USB, or through the Ethernet.
    Connect only one.
    USB management: most are 'windoze only'.... change vendor!
    All: web based management via the Ethernet.

    disconnect the USB

    Reset computer and modem.
    Reset modem to factory defaults.

    Connect modem to power and network.
    Connectg modem to your computer via Ethernet (nothing in USB, don't touch
    USB!).

    Check you manual for the router default address on the LAN side, and
    browse to the management interface.
    Done.

    I have a couple of these too..............

    Mike

    -----------------
    -----------------

    mike, Jun 6, 2006
  4. Goiter bad neck

    Duane Arnold Guest

    > HI,
    > Running win xp sp2.
    > Just aquired a bt voyager 2500v router.
    > Isp is BTbroadband.
    > It works fine using the supplied usb cable.
    > However using the supplied ethernet cable the router dissapears from
    > device manager meaning i cant connect to the net or even access the router
    > config manager.
    > But the control panel on the router shows the cable has been plugged in.
    > I have tried two different cables.
    > Anyone got any ideas , maybe incorrect setting somewhere.

    Did you call the router's Tech Support? That's where you should go to get
    help at this point.

    Maybe, the router is defective out of the box. Those things do happen you
    know.

    If the router can be flashed with the latest version of the firmware, that
    sometimes fixes the router that has sick firmware out of the box that can
    lead to a router not working properly.

    Duane :)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 6, 2006
  5. Goiter bad neck

    MSB Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <Yeah-Don't-bother-@that's-right.BET> wrote in message

    > "Goiter bad neck" <> wrote in message
    >> HI,
    >> Running win xp sp2.
    >> Just aquired a bt voyager 2500v router.
    >> Isp is BTbroadband.
    >> It works fine using the supplied usb cable.
    >> However using the supplied ethernet cable the router dissapears from
    >> device manager meaning i cant connect to the net or even access the
    >> router config manager.
    >> But the control panel on the router shows the cable has been plugged in.
    >> I have tried two different cables.
    >> Anyone got any ideas , maybe incorrect setting somewhere.

    > Did you call the router's Tech Support? That's where you should go to get
    > help at this point.
    >
    > Maybe, the router is defective out of the box. Those things do happen you
    > know.
    >
    > If the router can be flashed with the latest version of the firmware, that
    > sometimes fixes the router that has sick firmware out of the box that can
    > lead to a router not working properly.
    >
    > Duane :)
    >
    > Duane :)

    Couldn't this be resolved with TCP IP or maybe update NIC drivers

    MSB, Jun 6, 2006
  6. Goiter bad neck wrote:

    > HI,
    > Running win xp sp2.
    > Just aquired a bt voyager 2500v router.
    > Isp is BTbroadband.
    > It works fine using the supplied usb cable.
    > However using the supplied ethernet cable the router dissapears from
    > device manager meaning i cant connect to the net or even access the router
    > config manager.

    Your computer just sees the ethernet connection, and does not (need to) know
    about that router, except that the ethernet connection needs to become the
    default route now.
    Disable other (virtual) network interfaces from control panel - network
    connections, and have a look at the "status" button - it should list a ip
    address in the 192.168.x.y or 10.x.y.z range, NOT one beginning with
    196.254 as this would indicate your router does not do dhcp.
    Come back with the output of "ipconfig /all" copied and pasted from
    a "command line".

    Walter Mautner, Jun 6, 2006
  7. Goiter bad neck

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "MSB" <al;dsfj@al;sjdflkas.com> wrote in message

    > "Duane Arnold" <Yeah-Don't-bother-@that's-right.BET> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Goiter bad neck" <> wrote in
    >> message news:...
    >>> HI,
    >>> Running win xp sp2.
    >>> Just aquired a bt voyager 2500v router.
    >>> Isp is BTbroadband.
    >>> It works fine using the supplied usb cable.
    >>> However using the supplied ethernet cable the router dissapears from
    >>> device manager meaning i cant connect to the net or even access the
    >>> router config manager.
    >>> But the control panel on the router shows the cable has been plugged in.
    >>> I have tried two different cables.
    >>> Anyone got any ideas , maybe incorrect setting somewhere.

    >> Did you call the router's Tech Support? That's where you should go to get
    >> help at this point.
    >>
    >> Maybe, the router is defective out of the box. Those things do happen you
    >> know.
    >>
    >> If the router can be flashed with the latest version of the firmware,
    >> that sometimes fixes the router that has sick firmware out of the box
    >> that can lead to a router not working properly.
    >>
    >> Duane :)
    >>
    >> Duane :)
    >>

    > Couldn't this be resolved with TCP IP or maybe update NIC drivers

    It's possible. I had a recent problem with the desktop at work where it
    wouldn't stay connected to the network. It was due to the network cable RJ45
    plug that seemed to be going bad. Then they give me a Linksys hub for the
    two computers I was working with and the hub seemed to not work and
    connections were being dropped. They replaced the hub and I had no more
    problems.

    So, it can be a few things. The OP could try replacing the NIC in the
    computer and see if the problem follows. If it does, then he would know it's
    not the NIC and cable if using a new cable too.

    That would leave the router. The machine when it drops the connection, the
    OP can use IPconfig at the Command Prompt. If the IP starts with 169, then
    the O/S couldn't get an IP from the DHCP server and timed out. The 169 IP
    will not allow the machine to access the router on its device IP or access
    then Internet, since the NIC doesn't have an IP from the router.

    The OP can use IPconfig /release and IPconfig /renew to see if the machine
    can get and IP from the DHCP server on the router.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 6, 2006
  8. Goiter bad neck

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Walter Mautner" <> wrote in message
    > Goiter bad neck wrote:
    >
    >> HI,
    >> Running win xp sp2.
    >> Just aquired a bt voyager 2500v router.
    >> Isp is BTbroadband.
    >> It works fine using the supplied usb cable.
    >> However using the supplied ethernet cable the router dissapears from
    >> device manager meaning i cant connect to the net or even access the
    >> router
    >> config manager.

    > Your computer just sees the ethernet connection, and does not (need to)
    > know
    > about that router, except that the ethernet connection needs to become the
    > default route now.
    > Disable other (virtual) network interfaces from control panel - network
    > connections, and have a look at the "status" button - it should list a ip
    > address in the 192.168.x.y or 10.x.y.z range, NOT one beginning with
    > 196.254 as this would indicate your router does not do dhcp.
    > Come back with the output of "ipconfig /all" copied and pasted from
    > a "command line".

    You mean 169.254 don't you?

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 6, 2006
  9. Goiter bad neck

    Noel Paton Guest

    > Goiter bad neck wrote:
    >
    >> HI,
    >> Running win xp sp2.
    >> Just aquired a bt voyager 2500v router.
    >> Isp is BTbroadband.
    >> It works fine using the supplied usb cable.
    >> However using the supplied ethernet cable the router dissapears from
    >> device manager meaning i cant connect to the net or even access the
    >> router
    >> config manager.

    > Your computer just sees the ethernet connection, and does not (need to)
    > know
    > about that router, except that the ethernet connection needs to become the
    > default route now.
    > Disable other (virtual) network interfaces from control panel - network
    > connections, and have a look at the "status" button - it should list a ip
    > address in the 192.168.x.y or 10.x.y.z range, NOT one beginning with
    > 196.254 as this would indicate your router does not do dhcp.
    > Come back with the output of "ipconfig /all" copied and pasted from
    > a "command line".

    You should also change the DUN setting to 'never dial a connection'

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Jun 6, 2006

  10. >

    Goiter bad neck, Jun 6, 2006
  11. "mike" <> wrote in message
    > All routers like this have the same SW in them.
    >
    > You either manage it through the USB, or through the Ethernet.
    > Connect only one.
    > USB management: most are 'windoze only'.... change vendor!
    > All: web based management via the Ethernet.
    >
    > disconnect the USB
    >
    > Reset computer and modem.
    > Reset modem to factory defaults.
    >
    > Connect modem to power and network.
    > Connectg modem to your computer via Ethernet (nothing in USB, don't touch
    > USB!).
    >
    > Check you manual for the router default address on the LAN side, and
    > browse to the management interface.
    > Done.
    >
    > I have a couple of these too..............
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > cheers mike, i have uninstalled the usb drivers and removed the cable.

    I have reset the moden and turned the pc off.
    Connected thr router and pc by ethernet , different cable.
    The default ip is 192.168.1.1.
    in network connections it says the lan is connected but i cant log in to the
    management console , http://voyager.home .

    Goiter bad neck, Jun 6, 2006
  12. Goiter bad neck

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-06-05, Goiter bad neck <> wrote:
    > HI,
    > Running win xp sp2.
    > Just aquired a bt voyager 2500v router.
    > Isp is BTbroadband.
    > It works fine using the supplied usb cable.
    > However using the supplied ethernet cable the router dissapears from device
    > manager meaning i cant connect to the net or even access the router config
    > manager.
    > But the control panel on the router shows the cable has been plugged in.
    > I have tried two different cables.
    > Anyone got any ideas , maybe incorrect setting somewhere.
    > Cheers for reading.

    I found the instruction manual for what may be that make and model of
    router, on the web:

    ..-----[ Your BT Voyager 2500V ]
    | [Page 11]
    |
    | To change the way you have connected your computer to the router,
    | e.g. from USB to Ethernet, simply disconnect the BT Voyager 2500V
    | from your computer, run the installation CD-ROM and select the
    | preferred connection type when prompted. The CD-ROM will not affect
    | any existing configurations, e.g. stored emails on your computer
    | [...]
    '-----

    HTML from Google's cache:
    <http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:Q7Q9dcsl7q0J:www.btbroadbandvoice.com
    /bbv/pdf/BTM00400_2500R_UpRun_03.pdf+voyager+2500v+router&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=
    5&client=opera> or <http://makeashorterlink.com/?P52E2383D>.

    PDF document from BT Broadband:
    <http://www.btbroadbandvoice.com/bbv/pdf/BTM00400_2500R_UpRun_03.pdf>.

    You probably have that file already, on the installation CD.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jun 6, 2006
  13. Goiter bad neck

    Noel Paton Guest

    > "mike" <> wrote in message
    >> All routers like this have the same SW in them.
    >>
    >> You either manage it through the USB, or through the Ethernet.
    >> Connect only one.
    >> USB management: most are 'windoze only'.... change vendor!
    >> All: web based management via the Ethernet.
    >>
    >> disconnect the USB
    >>
    >> Reset computer and modem.
    >> Reset modem to factory defaults.
    >>
    >> Connect modem to power and network.
    >> Connectg modem to your computer via Ethernet (nothing in USB, don't touch
    >> USB!).
    >>
    >> Check you manual for the router default address on the LAN side, and
    >> browse to the management interface.
    >> Done.
    >>
    >> I have a couple of these too..............
    >>
    >> Mike
    >>
    >> cheers mike, i have uninstalled the usb drivers and removed the cable.

    > I have reset the moden and turned the pc off.
    > Connected thr router and pc by ethernet , different cable.
    > The default ip is 192.168.1.1.
    > in network connections it says the lan is connected but i cant log in to
    > the management console , http://voyager.home .

    try 192.168.1.1 instead

    Noel Paton, Jun 6, 2006
  14. Goiter bad neck

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Goiter bad neck wrote:
    > "mike" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>All routers like this have the same SW in them.
    >>
    >>You either manage it through the USB, or through the Ethernet.
    >>Connect only one.
    >>USB management: most are 'windoze only'.... change vendor!
    >>All: web based management via the Ethernet.
    >>
    >>disconnect the USB
    >>
    >>Reset computer and modem.
    >>Reset modem to factory defaults.
    >>
    >>Connect modem to power and network.
    >>Connectg modem to your computer via Ethernet (nothing in USB, don't touch
    >>USB!).
    >>
    >>Check you manual for the router default address on the LAN side, and
    >>browse to the management interface.
    >>Done.
    >>
    >>I have a couple of these too..............
    >>
    >>Mike
    >>
    >>cheers mike, i have uninstalled the usb drivers and removed the cable.

    > I have reset the moden and turned the pc off.
    > Connected thr router and pc by ethernet , different cable.
    > The default ip is 192.168.1.1.
    > in network connections it says the lan is connected but i cant log in to the
    > management console , http://voyager.home .

    Is it too tough for you to call tech support? Tech support is the one
    that's going to get you out of trouble.

    BTW, I looked at the user manual for the router and it's one of the
    worst I have seen -- call tech support.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 7, 2006
  15. Howdy!

    > HI,
    > Running win xp sp2.
    > Just aquired a bt voyager 2500v router.
    > Isp is BTbroadband.
    > It works fine using the supplied usb cable.
    > However using the supplied ethernet cable the router dissapears from

    device
    > manager meaning i cant connect to the net or even access the router config
    > manager.

    You've got two things here.

    One, an Ethernet-connected router WON'T show up in Device Manager.

    Two, we need to figure out why you can't get on the Internet.

    Have you tried without the cable plugged in? Have you run the
    software that comes with it?

    And, last but not least, what IP do you get when you're connected
    via Ethernet? We don't need to know for sure, just that it doesn't start
    with 167. but instead with the proper subnet for the router as it is set.

    > But the control panel on the router shows the cable has been plugged in.
    > I have tried two different cables.
    > Anyone got any ideas , maybe incorrect setting somewhere.
    > Cheers for reading.

    Possibly re-reading the manual carefully?

    http://www.btbroadbandvoice.com/bbv/pdf/BTM00400_2500R_UpRun_03.pdf
    clearly states that you have to re-run the setup CD when you change the
    connection type.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jun 7, 2006